DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Battery Activation

Here an official statement from DJI:

View attachment 100982
Thanks for posting the DJI info. If it potentially saves one failed flight, it is worth charging up the Fly More combo in sequence, out of the box. A very simple precaution which makes sense, if they are “smart” batteries that may need a set initialisation procedure. I posted the initial alert here after seeing the German YT clip. Cheers from NZ. My Air 2 is due here in 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: Gealousy
Happened to me. One battery bricked, yet I’m hearing numerous folks running the initial charge using the charging hub. Hope to know more tomorrow, support ticket is in with DJI.

Happened to me. One battery bricked, yet I’m hearing numerous folks running the initial charge using the charging hub. Hope to know more tomorrow, support ticket is in with DJI.
Hi: have you seen the posting elsewhere here with the copy of the DJI workaround? Worth noting as it may save a problem, even if not everybody is getting the same issue. Cheers.

Reactions: Fltwrench
Hi: have you seen the posting elsewhere here with the copy of the DJI workaround? Worth noting as it may save a problem, even if not everybody is getting the same issue. Cheers.
Yes sir, unfortunately solution 1 doesn’t fix the issue.

I didn't take any chances and charged individually. All is good.
I’ve never had any issues charging with the hub on prior FlyMore combos, didn’t think any different. What a downer, I wish they would have put a big red sticker over the hub if they knew.

I’ve never had any issues charging with the hub on prior FlyMore combos, didn’t think any different. What a downer, I wish they would have put a big red sticker over the hub if they knew.
After MH370, IATA has imposed progressively stricter limits on the batteries intended for air transport. So a previous design of battery may not have so many "failsafes" which are difficult to reverse at the customer side. Believe me, I work in a related industry and trying to comply to these regulations have resulted in many headaches, jobs lost, scrapping of parts and also lost of business revenue.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't the problem confined to batteries that have never had any charge put in them?

In other words, when you first get your units, if when you press on the power indicator for the first time and there is no lights visible, that means that the battery was never initialized and so you must NOT charge it on the bank charger. You must instead charge it on the single battery charger; otherwise it WILL brick and after that initial single charge you can safely charge them 3 at a time on the bank charger.

Is that correct?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't the problem confined to batteries that have never had any charge put in them?

In other words, when you first get your units, if when you press on the power indicator for the first time and there is no lights visible, that means that the battery was never initialized and so you must NOT charge it on the bank charger. You must instead charge it on the single battery charger; otherwise it WILL brick and after that initial single charge you can safely charge them 3 at a time on the bank charger.

Is that correct?
Yes, that is corect.

Regarding post battery initialization, only 1 battery (highest battery level charges first) at a time chargers on the charging hub, not all 3 at once.

Is that correct?
That is my understanding from the German YT link that I posted several days ago. The new, uncharged “smart” batteries need an initialisation off the single unit charger BEFORE they get multi charged in the 3-way bank. Once the first charge has been completed on that unit, the batteries are formatted. Even if some users are not seeing a problem, I will still be doing single initial charges when my MA2 Fly More arrives in a few weeks - just to be safe.

I'm not saying its wrong, but it doesn't make sense charging the batteries from the hub could permanently brick them.

Almost all lipos are shipped with about 20% charge.
DJI typically ships their intelligent batteries in hibernate mode where the actual batteries are electronically isolated. Applying charge voltage to the pack has the electronics reconnect the actual batteries to the circuit.

I could see the hub being fooled by the hibernation and not apply charge to the battery and wake it up. In that case putting the batteries on the charger for a minute should wake them up, after which you can use the hub to resume the rest of the charging.

That is my understanding from the German YT link that I posted several days ago. The new, uncharged “smart” batteries need an initialisation off the single unit charger BEFORE they get multi charged in the 3-way bank. Once the first charge has been completed on that unit, the batteries are formatted. Even if some users are not seeing a problem, I will still be doing single initial charges when my MA2 Fly More arrives in a few weeks - just to be safe.
Yes, I didn’t have any issues...but everyone receiveing a fly more kit should certainly practice the single charger practice first thing. Why risk it, I wish I would have done that.

For some reason I only had one battery that promted an update. Tried the other two and waited and waited and nothing.

I was the same until I remembered my phone was in Airplane mode, consequently the FW check didn’t take place for the 2 batteries that weren’t in the drone when it’s FW update was done. Once I linked my phone to the internet, the FW check took place & updated the other 2 batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard