DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 D-Cinelike Grain/noise at ISO 100

ZakariasH

Reactions
Hi, so I recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 because of all the excellent things I had heard about it. After getting comfortable with the normal mode of the camera I started to look towards D-Cinelike. And I am a bit confused with the amount of grain that comes with D-Cinelike, to the point of where it makes me think there might be a slight fault with the camera sensor.

To my understanding, there should not be any noise shooting at ISO 100? Here is some D-Cinelike footage at ISO 100, 4K 30 FPS, shutter (between 1/60 and 1/120, cannot remember exactly) cloudy conditions, with a lot of noise as it looks to me: DJI_0134.MP4 (you might have to download it to see it, as I can only view in 720p when using the dropbox)
I'm viewing it at a 1920x1080 monitor.

So my question in the end is, is this noise/grain level normal? Is the sensor of the Mavic Air 2 really like this?

Last edited:
Hi, so I recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 because of all the excellent things I had heard about it. After getting comfortable with the normal mode of the camera I started to look towards D-Cinelike. And I am very disappointed with the amount of grain that comes with D-Cinelike, to the point of where it makes me think there might be a slight fault with the camera sensor.

To my understanding, there should not be any noise shooting at ISO 100? Here is some D-Cinelike footage at ISO 100, 4K 30 FPS, shutter (between 1/60 and 1/120, cannot remember exactly) cloudy conditions, with a lot of noise as it looks to me: DJI_0134.MP4 (you might have to download it to see it, as I can only view in 720p when using the dropbox)
I'm viewing it at a 1920x1080 monitor and I can easily see the noise in the low to mid tones.

So my question in the end is, is this noise/grain level normal? Is the sensor of the Mavic Air 2 really like this, or is it a defect?

I'm not seeing a lot of grain, maybe it's the limitation of the small sensor in the low light conditions

DJI_0134.MP4_snapshot_00.20_[2021.02.26_01.46.35] - Copy.jpg

Yep ... that's what I would expect, especially as the ground is somewhat underexposed due to the bright sky.
I'm not seeing a lot of grain, maybe it's the limitation of the small sensor in the low light conditions

Thank you for your opinions, I am happy that you didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Have a nice day! :)

Reactions: slup
With all the DJI drones good exposure is key to high quality images. When flying, you should get the best exposure possible using the histogram tool. Then in post processing adjust color, contrast, and exposure to get the desired effect.

The DJI sensors, even at ISO 100, are only adequate. The 1 in sensors are the best, but far from perfect. All produce noisy (grainy) images in the darker parts of the images.

ISO is relative to light available. 100 ISO is great in clear blue sky days. Under lower light conditions, which cloudy / overcast days are that - 100 may be too low. Just have to experiment with your settings (all part of the photography hobby / biz). Next time, shoot one at 100 ISO, then shoot like a return flight at 200 ISO or maybe even 400 ISO and compare. Also fly in tripod mode to keep the drone slower at lower ISO or amp the ISO up if your going to shoot in normal or sport - as they move far faster and the need of higher ISO in lower light is needed.

Also try your 2X (and 4X if in 1080p) and see the quality differences - there will be some, esp in lower light conditions. Practice, practice, practice works for when you go fly on a location you want to keep the memories. No different than in hand held photography.

Reactions: ZakariasH
Hi, so I recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 because of all the excellent things I had heard about it. After getting comfortable with the normal mode of the camera I started to look towards D-Cinelike. And I am a bit confused with the amount of grain that comes with D-Cinelike, to the point of where it makes me think there might be a slight fault with the camera sensor.

I'm viewing it at a 1920x1080 monitor.

So my question in the end is, is this noise/grain level normal? Is the sensor of the Mavic Air 2 really like this?
Just thought I'd weigh in here. D-Cinelike is a flatter profile, not as much as log but still flatter than a normal rec. 709 gamma. When we put your clip into Resolve we can look at the cinema scopes to see a few things about the clip.Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.32.57 AM.pngWhat this tells me is your exposure is pretty good, just a little overexposed actually but no clipping. Certainly not underexposed. This is also where ND filters would help bring down your exposure without changing your shutter speed. Then you just need to apply contrast, saturation, and adjust black point in post. In D-Cinelike you are expected to grade the video in post.

These are my personal artistic choices but this is where I would have the clip if this was my video.

before
before_1.1.6.jpg
After
graded_1.1.4.jpg

Your in camera sharpening is a little high and I believe that is what you are seeing as grain. Turn down your sharpening setting to mitigate this.

Just thought I'd weigh in here. D-Cinelike is a flatter profile, not as much as log but still flatter than a normal rec. 709 gamma. When we put your clip into Resolve we can look at the cinema scopes to see a few things about the clip.View attachment 124637What this tells me is your exposure is pretty good, just a little overexposed actually but no clipping. Certainly not underexposed. This is also where ND filters would help bring down your exposure without changing your shutter speed. Then you just need to apply contrast, saturation, and adjust black point in post. In D-Cinelike you are expected to grade the video in post.

These are my personal artistic choices but this is where I would have the clip if this was my video.

before
View attachment 124644
After
View attachment 124641

Your in camera sharpening is a little high and I believe that is what you are seeing as grain. Turn down your sharpening setting to mitigate this.
Now that is nice! What post software do you use?

Just thought I'd weigh in here. D-Cinelike is a flatter profile, not as much as log but still flatter than a normal rec. 709 gamma. When we put your clip into Resolve we can look at the cinema scopes to see a few things about the clip.View attachment 124637What this tells me is your exposure is pretty good, just a little overexposed actually but no clipping. Certainly not underexposed. This is also where ND filters would help bring down your exposure without changing your shutter speed. Then you just need to apply contrast, saturation, and adjust black point in post. In D-Cinelike you are expected to grade the video in post.

before
View attachment 124644
After
View attachment 124641

Purple skies? Does that mean Purple Rain is about to fall? :D

With all the DJI drones good exposure is key to high quality images. When flying, you should get the best exposure possible using the histogram tool. Then in post processing adjust color, contrast, and exposure to get the desired effect.

The DJI sensors, even at ISO 100, are only adequate. The 1 in sensors are the best, but far from perfect. All produce noisy (grainy) images in the darker parts of the images.
Does grainy and noisy footage also cause compression artifacts as that's what I've seem to be getting but I've also been getting compression artifacts in areas where I believe its been relatively well exposed, does that mean my ma2 might have a faulty camera

Does grainy and noisy footage also cause compression artifacts as that's what I've seem to be getting but I've also been getting compression artifacts in areas where I believe its been relatively well exposed, does that mean my ma2 might have a faulty camera
Even at 120 Mbps the video is incredibly compressed. My Inspire 2 records 4k at 4.2Gbps (35x less compressed) and that is still compressed. You are gonna have compression artifacts that’s just how video works.

Hey all. I sent it back to DJI and they said that they found a fault with the camera. I will be receiving a new Mavic Air 2 shortly and I will make sure to post a video here for comparison when I get it.

Definitely keep us posted!

I have been having similar issues, and overall I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of my MA2 images & videos.

I hate to send it back, but this thread makes me think it might be worthwhile.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore