DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 extended battery possibility

Reactions
I'm looking at this Startrc power out connector for the mavic air 2 and am wondering if this will actually work...

They're on ebay for even less. Problem is I can't find any reviews.

What if I buy that and then grab a battery like this one:

Anyone tried this yet? The voltage is the same and it's about 60% of the capacity of our normal mavic air 2 battery...so I'm thinking if this works we'd get around 45 minutes of flight time...or maybe even better, we get our 34 minutes of flight time, then land with around 30-35% battery left in the DJI battery, extending its lifetime.

The weight of the battery is 350 grams and people are saying online this baby can carry way more than that.

Yell at me if this is a bad idea.

bad idea, this kind of connections have very high contact resistance, burning away current. The flight time extension will be minimal. Its been tested and done since the days of Mavic Pro 1. If you want to do it right, wire straight to the battery + and - terminals (at the battery side, which will not require drone disassembly and warranty voiding).

bad idea, this kind of connections have very high contact resistance, burning away current. The flight time extension will be minimal. Its been tested and done since the days of Mavic Pro 1. If you want to do it right, wire straight to the battery + and - terminals (at the battery side, which will not require drone disassembly and warranty voiding).
I've not seen any battery mods for either the M2 or the MA2 (nor the P4 or the P4P) that modify the battery itself, other than a double battery. Got any links to doing so?

Last edited:
Right, but these are examples of people modifying the battery. I do not want to open my battery up.

I'm hoping to use that adapter and join another battery in parallel if possible.

Right, but these are examples of people modifying the battery. I do not want to open my battery up.

I'm hoping to use that adapter and join another battery in parallel if possible.

Attachments

• 23100ECA-D38E-46B2-85B4-EA950F1CDAE8.jpeg
    23100ECA-D38E-46B2-85B4-EA950F1CDAE8.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 40
This will set you back about $8000, but you'll have unlimited flight time with a tethered system. ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
When the Air 2 arrived people applauded the longer flight time. With the Fly More pack there were two extra batteries and a charging bank. That’s 80+ minutes in the air. Why risk a great drone and the safety of people on the ground by fiddling around with the power source that the DJI technical experts have specifically designed for the Air 2. It makes no wise sense to me.

?

Adding a battery won’t necessarily increase the flight time. The drone’s motors spend most of their energy lifting the drone and it’t battery. If you double the weight of the batteries being carried, you will only get a slight increase in flight time, as the doubled battery weight takes almost double the energy.

DJI, as part of the drone design, have optimized the battery-aircraft combination to maximize flight time performance. Amateur tinkering is unlikely to beat their engineering unless you can invent a better battery with a better power to weight ratio.

Reactions: mschaffer66
I see your point, but if this were true, then you would not be able to make a drone that can fly more than 34 minutes, but I know some drones can reach 40 or 45 minutes, probably some more expensive ones can go longer.

Now if could be that this is the max when you consider the motors on this particular drone...that part I don't know, hence why I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. I hoping not to guinea pig my drone only to find out someone else already found out the hard way that it doesn't work.

Sure. Bigger more powerful airframe motors and heavier batteries. The tradeoffs change slightly as you scale both the battery weight and airframe.

Reactions: KarMann
Adding a battery won’t necessarily increase the flight time. The drone’s motors spend most of their energy lifting the drone and it’t battery. If you double the weight of the batteries being carried, you will only get a slight increase in flight time, as the doubled battery weight takes almost double the energy.

DJI, as part of the drone design, have optimized the battery-aircraft combination to maximize flight time performance. Amateur tinkering is unlikely to beat their engineering unless you can invent a better battery with a better power to weight ratio.
Almost all DJI drones to date can increase the normal realistic flight time on the stock battery by 50% by doubling the total battery mAh with external batteries. That is a realistic expectation.

Reactions: lee82gx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan