DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 filters (ND, VND)

I'm not the arguing type but that statement is quite a bit false. It is well known that ND filters from manufactures in the past have caused gimbal issues as far back as the P3 series, the P4, and the MP1 for instance. DJI also has issues with getting gimbal motors thresholds right which is clearly evident on newer aircraft that report gimbals flipping down in flight.

Now they eventually work that out in a firmware or the manufactures go back and redesign , but in those instances even a minute amount of imbalance caused by any subsequent weight of a ND would allow those errors to appear at lower speeds. Also saying that the weight is very light and thus not affecting the gimbal but then saying that additional weight would then possibly shorten flight time is a bit weird to fathom IMHO.

Not trying to harp on it or your knowledge of subject, just my experience having a P3P, a P4, a MP1 and a M2Z.
Are the ND filters all that much heavier than the ones that DJI provides. I know they must be, at least a bit. When I have them all in hand, I will find a jeweler and compare.

[QUOTE = "Repaid1, publicación: 1082447, miembro: 120636"]
No soy del tipo que discute, pero esa afirmación es bastante falsa. Es bien sabido que los filtros ND de fabricantes en el pasado han causado problemas de cardán desde la serie P3, la P4 y la MP1, por ejemplo. DJI también tiene problemas para obtener los umbrales correctos de los motores de cardán, lo que es claramente evidente en los aviones más nuevos que informan que los cardán se voltean en vuelo.

Ahora eventualmente lo resuelven en un firmware o los fabricantes regresan y rediseñan, pero en esos casos, incluso una cantidad mínima de desequilibrio causado por cualquier peso posterior de un ND permitiría que esos errores aparecieran a velocidades más bajas. También decir que el peso es muy ligero y, por lo tanto, no afecta al cardán, pero luego decir que un peso adicional posiblemente acortaría el tiempo de vuelo es un poco extraño de entender en mi humilde opinión.

No estoy tratando de insistir en él o en su conocimiento del tema, solo mi experiencia con un P3P, un P4, un MP1 y un M2Z.
[/CITAR]
Entiendo tu punto. Es complicado saber qué hacer. Según tengo entendido, prefieres no usar filtros, ¿verdad?

[QUOTE = "THE CYBORG, publicación: 1035113, miembro: 94165"]
Utilizo Freewell VND en mi Mavic 2 pro, sin ningún problema.
[/CITAR]
¿Cuántos vuelos tienes con el filtro? Me interesa saber si el peso adicional acorta la vida útil del cardán. ¡Saludos!

I just weighed:

- the DJI ND filter which came with my Mavic Air 2: 0.77g

- the DJI blank frame which came with the Mavic Air 2: 76g (seems to be a deliberate coincidence that they are so close in weight)

- the Polar Pro 2 - 5 VND: 1.46g

!! Wow, the Polar Pro filter is almost twice the weight of the DJI items. It is a variable ND filter, so more engineering, I guess.

So far the drone seems to perform OK, though I have noticed some slight, but erroneous jerking in some of my videos, both on yaw pan shots and on gimble rising shots.

Testing will require me to:

1. Drop down from 4K to 1080p and see if it's a bitrate capture or hardware issue (SD card, drone, computer...? Any of those could be the cause).
2. Fly with and record with the original DJI blank filter frame
3. Fly with and record with the DJI ND filter which came with the drone.

I'll report back after the weekend...

Last edited:
Very interesting. I have another post going where I had a Polar Pro 2-5 VND that was causing gimbal overload errors. PP sent me another filter and that one doesn't have any issues.

It makes me wonder if maybe that 1.46g is RIIIIIGHT on the edge of what the gimbal can handle for weight and a little variance in manufacturing can put it a smidge over.

I'd like to weigh both of mine and see if there really is a difference.

I ended up returning the PolarPro VND set b/c I thought they had a yellow color cast. The Freewell VND set looked more true to what my eyes saw, so I kept those. Very happy with the Freewell VND set still, and they seem more solidly made too.

The ND/PL set from PolarPro don't seem to have the same color cast, so I kept those for when I'm getting shots above water.

Testing will require me to:

1. Drop down from 4K to 1080p and see if it's a bitrate capture or hardware issue (SD card, drone, computer...? Any of those could be the cause).
2. Fly with and record with the original DJI blank filter frame
3. Fly with and record with the DJI ND filter which came with the drone.

I'll report back after the weekend...

Testing done, and the slight jerkiness when viewing my videos is down to my computer. Once edited and rendered out, the video captured with a Polar Pro VND on-board is very acceptable.

Example captured in d-cinelike @ 4 stop ND16

My conclusion, in my case anyway, is that the Mavic Air 2 has no issues handling the Polar Pro VND filters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123