DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 filters (ND, VND)

I tried using the histogram the other day
WTF is that all about
Everything came out white
The histogram takes a little more than a basic understanding of photography to interpret correctly. It can be learned quicky though.

The "zebra stripes" are easier for most people to understand. (Over exposure warning in the menu system)

Not saying you aren't a photography professional...

I can explain more if need be.

Reactions: Mel 08
The histogram takes a little more than a basic understanding of photography to interpret correctly. It can be learned quicky though.

The "zebra stripes" are easier for most people to understand. (Over exposure warning in the menu system)

Not saying you aren't a photography professional...

I can explain more if need be.
I was getting the zebra stripes so ordered a new phone.
Friend told me it wasn't the phone.
Slowly getting to grips with it all
Slowly being the optimum word ???

I was getting the zebra stripes so ordered a new phone.
Friend told me it wasn't the phone.
Slowly getting to grips with it all
Slowly being the optimum word ???
I met my wife as a professional photographer, and still 10 years later she doesn't care to f*** with histograms either. ?

Reactions: tiwag and Mel 08
All of the sudden the thread went off topic....

anyway, any more opnions about moment filters brand? $50 deal for both set of vnd doesnt seem bad

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Got the PolarPro VND mounted yesterday. I can choose between ND 4,8,16,32,64 equivalents.

I’ll just leave this on as a permanent fixture dialed down to ND4 and adjust as needed.

The gimbal cover fits as intended.

View attachment 105638
Are you able to describe how the markings on the bezel relate to the different stops? Have always wondered...

I am waiting for my PolarPro Cinema Serie VND set to be deliverd, it contains a 2-5 and 6-9 filter which should cover all your needs, probably won't even need the filters which came with the fly more combo. Given my previous experience on the MA1 with PolarPro I don't expect any troubles.
I have these on order.
I can't believe Polar Pro is so late to the Air 2 party.

I have the ND16, that came with my MA2, on my drone and have been getting some great results. Even so, I decided I decided to take a look at the Freewell All Day filters se that goes down to ND4 and up to ND64. I like to be creatve on my Sony camera with high NDs and though I might like to do that on my drone...SO, I opted to go for two 4 filter sets that go from ND8 to ND 1000 for just a bit more.

Where I live in WV and AZ, I don't see much need for ND4, but I do want to go higher than ND64. I am not sure about how to use the ND1000 because I do not believe I can make my shutter speed long enough as I can on my camera.
Il'll report back after I have had some experience with the new filters.

I use one that came with the drone.
The one with the smallest number.
Can't remember what number.
Haven't got a clue what they do but I put it on anyway.
If nothing it protects the camera
The camera "cover" that comes with the drone has no glass or plastic covering the lens glass. It does nothing to protect the lens glass. On my regular camera, if I do not have an ND filter installed, I always keep a UV filter to protect the glass. It does not change the f-stops. The filter you are using is a 16ND filter. It protects the glass lens and increases the f-stop, decreasing the amount of light that reaches the sensor. The higher the ND factor, the less light. If you are using Automatic settings, the drone will compensate internally. The higher the ND factor, the longer you can set the exposure time. With ND 32 or higher, set a hight exposure time and it will smooth out your videos.

Instead of purchasing the All Day set of 8, I chose to purchase two sets of four, one will go above ND64 up to ND1000. Not sure, yet, how I will use the ND1000, but it is offered for the MA2 so I anticipate that there will be a use. See my other post on the subject. I will report what I find.

For the next week, I will be studying for my 107 exam.

P.S. Polarized filters can be turned to improve color and, especially, reduce or eliminate glare from water or shiny objects.

Separately, remember what some call the lighting triangle and I call the lighting three-legged-stool. Write to me if you need more information on that. I have training literature that I used in my college digital camera class that I can send to you.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the polar pro VND set. I havn't used the darker filter yet, but the 2-5 stop VND has been excellent, and very handy. Being able to adjust the vnd between stops is great. I still keep the DJI set around just in case, in some situations, the fact that all VNDs are made from polarizing filters can give some un-wanted effects, but I just be mindful of the drones relation to the sun, and pick my time at a location based on where the sun is.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
I highly recommend the polar pro VND set. I havn't used the darker filter yet, but the 2-5 stop VND has been excellent, and very handy. Being able to adjust the vnd between stops is great. I still keep the DJI set around just in case, in some situations, the fact that all VNDs are made from polarizing filters can give some un-wanted effects, but I just be mindful of the drones relation to the sun, and pick my time at a location based on where the sun is.
What is the ND value of the "darker filter" that you haven't used yet? How do you plan to use it? Settings on the drone? Please, also, report here what you results were. TIA

What is the ND value of the "darker filter" that you haven't used yet? How do you plan to use it? Settings on the drone? Please, also, report here what you results were. TIA

ah sorry. This is the set: VND Filter - Cinema Series | Mavic Air 2 the 6-9 stop is the filter that I have not used yet. I normally don't fly in the middle of the day, so I have not needed the 6-9 stop filter yet. I shoot at the following settings:
23.98 fps: 1/50 shutter, iso 100. manual white balance. I then Adjust VND filter to get the appropriate exposure. I shoot in D-Cinelike and colour correct in post.
60fps: 1/120 shutter, iso 100. manual white balance. I then Adjust VND filter to get the appropriate exposure.

VND is handy with a fixed aperture drone since you can't open or close down the aperture to get the exposure you'd want (this is what I do with a fixed ND filter on my DSLR).

all of the footage in this video was shot on the Mavic Air 2 and using the polar pro vnd 2-5 stop filter:

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
ah sorry. This is the set: VND Filter - Cinema Series | Mavic Air 2 the 6-9 stop is the filter that I have not used yet. I normally don't fly in the middle of the day, so I have not needed the 6-9 stop filter yet. I shoot at the following settings:
23.98 fps: 1/50 shutter, iso 100. manual white balance. I then Adjust VND filter to get the appropriate exposure. I shoot in D-Cinelike and colour correct in post.
60fps: 1/120 shutter, iso 100. manual white balance. I then Adjust VND filter to get the appropriate exposure.

VND is handy with a fixed aperture drone since you can't open or close down the aperture to get the exposure you'd want (this is what I do with a fixed ND filter on my DSLR).

all of the footage in this video was shot on the Mavic Air 2 and using the polar pro vnd 2-5 stop filter:
Thank you very much.

I can't find the weight of the VND Polar Pro or the Freewells. Does anyone know how much they weigh and if this extra weight means extra work for the gimbal of the MA2 (it looks so fragile):eek:?

I can't find the weight of the VND Polar Pro or the Freewells. Does anyone know how much they weigh and if this extra weight means extra work for the gimbal of the MA2 (it looks so fragile):eek:?
Next time I go to a jeweler's shop with my Freewell filters in hand, I will weigh them. Having said that, a filter of any sort is very lignt and certainly has no effect on the gimbal. They are made for the camera. The only effect, if at all, might be to shorten flying time on the battery.

Reactions: oscartempo
Next time I go to a jeweler's shop with my Freewell filters in hand, I will weigh them. Having said that, a filter of any sort is very lignt and certainly has no effect on the gimbal. They are made for the camera. The only effect, if at all, might be to shorten flying time on the battery.
Thanks Ron.

Reactions: oscartempo
I'm not the arguing type but that statement is quite a bit false. It is well known that ND filters from manufactures in the past have caused gimbal issues as far back as the P3 series, the P4, and the MP1 for instance. DJI also has issues with getting gimbal motors thresholds right which is clearly evident on newer aircraft that report gimbals flipping down in flight.

Now they eventually work that out in a firmware or the manufactures go back and redesign , but in those instances even a minute amount of imbalance caused by any subsequent weight of a ND would allow those errors to appear at lower speeds. Also saying that the weight is very light and thus not affecting the gimbal but then saying that additional weight would then possibly shorten flight time is a bit weird to fathom IMHO.

Not trying to harp on it or your knowledge of subject, just my experience having a P3P, a P4, a MP1 and a M2Z.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi