DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 FPV vs Follow gimbal modes Explained

Chris Mitchell

Reactions
In this video I look at the difference between the FPV and Follow gimbal modes with the Mavic Air 2. Within the DJI Fly app the pilot is given the option to choose between FPV and Follow modes. While Follow mode is the default and the most commonly used mode for those seeking the most smooth and cinematic video experience, FPV mode can offer some creative and unique visual options.
Check it out...Thank You!

FPV would be more useful if you had the option to lock the camera in place with the camera pitch control able to adjust the angle.

Reactions: realvue
I have the problem with FPV mode. I can't switch from follow to FPV. No matter if I'm on Follow or FPV in the app, the drone react only like I'd be always on Follow mode. Any idea what to do right now?

I have tried different phone with the app and the problem is same.

I have the problem with FPV mode. I can't switch from follow to FPV. No matter if I'm on Follow or FPV in the app, the drone react only like I'd be always on Follow mode. Any idea what to do right now?

The FPV/Follow mode does not change the behavior of the drone, just the camera!

Follow mode keep the camera level to the horizon, if the drone tilt sideways the gimbal keep the camera horizontal
FPV mode keep the camera "level" with the drone, if the drone tilt sideways the camera tilt with the drone

Or, in a more confusing way, in FPV mode the camera "follows" the drone ?

Exactly, and my gimbal is always horizontal even if I turn the FPV mode on. Thats the problem.

Milovic, if I understand you correctly, you and your Mavic Air 2 are performing perfectly normal!

The latest .0340 firmware made changes or "optimizations" to the FPV gimbal mode. With the new firmware If you fly the drone forward or backward, even very slowly, you should notice that the gimbal reacts like you are accustomed to in FPV mode. When the drone is stationary (not moving forward of backwards) but is moving side-to-side you will not see the gimbal "tilting" like it used to (i.e. tilting), instead it will act like it is in Follow Mode..

Try it and see if this is what is happening. If so you are good to go. Hope this makes sense and helps.

I have bought my Mavic few days ago, I just seen the movie below and recognized that something wrong with my drone because I dont have such view when Im flying side to side.

I have bought my Mavic few days ago, I just seen the movie below and recognized that something wrong with my drone because I dont have such view when Im flying side to side.
That's because this video was made prior to the .0340 that was just released about 2 weeks ago. Your drone is flying just like it's supposed to because you have the new firmware.

Okay you have right, my bad. I think its not true FPV mode anylonger. The previous version was better.

In this video I look at the difference between the FPV and Follow gimbal modes with the Mavic Air 2. Within the DJI Fly app the pilot is given the option to choose between FPV and Follow modes. While Follow mode is the default and the most commonly used mode for those seeking the most smooth and cinematic video experience, FPV mode can offer some creative and unique visual options.
This is a great lesson. Thanks!!

Thanks, I figured out why screen horizontal gimbal wouldn't work and it was because I had switched to FPV mode. Not explained in the downloadable user manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760