DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Is it really THAT bad?

QuestionTime

Reactions
I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.

its great, no regrets at all. there always will be whiners :)
only thing is Fly app - dont like it at all

Can you tell me more on your comment re; Fly app? What are the issues with the Fly app? What alternative app are you using?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
This is where folks come that Do have issues so you will
see lots of problems posted. It’s only A small percentage of what is out there. And bet you can say they are lots having no issues just flying and enjoying.
Wait and look at the time you could be enjoying. Is this way with all the models.
As was just posted the app isnt as nice as the Go4 app
if your used to using it but it will do.

Issues? Glitches? I've had mine for a while now, fly it at least every couple of days with absolutely no issues or glitches.

It is my opinion that a lot of people complain about features that they would like it to have that it does not (yet), and/or have problems because they fail to read the manual and fully understand the workings of the drone before they go flying. In other words - Pilot Error.

As has already been stated, it is an excellent piece of technology, but as with any technology, it is necessary to properly understand its workings, its capabilities and its limitations. Of course as the operator, you also need to know your own limitations!

Cheers...... and stay safe!

Can you tell me more on your comment re; Fly app? What are the issues with the Fly app? What alternative app are you using?
theres no alternative at the moment mate,
the top issue with Fly app, at least for me is barely readable top status bar when on Go4 it was very neat with battery status bar

In my opinion, its either a good or excellent drone, depending upon your expectations.

For a hobby flier hoping to have some fun flying, take some good video and/or photos, it really is great. The complaints for a general hobby flier are really pretty minor. Some people have a hard time seeing the battery percentage in the app, 8k Hyperlapse might not work great (who has something that can display 8k?) and things like that. However, it flies great, is quiet, durable, and has lots of features. The shooting modes like Smart/HDR get you really good results without editing (much or at all) -- probably better than just about anything else out of the box, so if you are a point-and-shoot type person, the Air 2 may be the best bet.

It's the pro flier that might have a little more complaints. At the moment, you can't adjust gimbal and stick smoothness. Although I find the "stock" settings pretty good, if you are really trying to shoot a true professional video, you might not get some of the movements as smooth as you want them. A pro will want to post process their own videos and pictures, to get even better quality, so will probably not use those smart/HDR modes and might find the RAW photos or flat video isn't as good as something like the Mavic 2 Pro that has a larger camera sensor. That said, it still has some things like 4k60 and such that a pro might like and may make this still a good drone of choice.

Otherwise, the only complaints fall into two categories:
1 - A few have had problems -- seem to be a small handful (think 3 or so posted here, I imagine there would be more) with gimbal issues, and there was a period where a few were having activation issues. Saw a post on the DJI forum with someone with a bad motor. Really a very small amount, wouldn't worry about this, although it could happen to the one you buy -- just return/exchange

2 - Features that people want because they've heard of it or had it in another drone. The Air 1 had gesture control and Tapfly. The Pro has waypoints. If any of those features are super important to you, maybe this isn't the drone for you. That said, this has Focus Track/Spotlight which is really super, a better Active Track, more options for high frame rates for slow motion and a few other things those others don't have Other people are complaining it doesn't yet work with a Smart Controller (Should be fixed soon) or the Crystal Sky (will probably never be fixed because its old tech).

I'd say if you aren't a serious pro, and arne't married to crystal sky or waypoints, its hard to find a better drone, particularly for the money. If you are a true professional who wants to spend lots of time post processing, you may prefer the Pro 2 or to wait some of the features to be added (or to wait for the Pro 3), although at almost twice the price, you have to think of the use case.

It's my first drone and I have been very happy with it. Just remember to charge the batteries individually and not on the hub.
battery thingy need to be done with first charge only, after that you can pump them all at the same time with the dock

i am 99% happy with the MA2 purchase. I have noticed a few glitches from time to time, but those are likely software related. All the little things people have pointed out should be eventually addressed, none of them are show stoppers. After hundreds of flghts with the Go4 app on other DJI products, its hard to like the Fly app just yet, but time will tell.

Brand new drone always takes a few software revs to get everything worked out.

IMHO, Mavic Air 2 is a stunning drone for the enthusiast at its price point. It has most of the capabilities of the 2 Pro series other than the high-end camera, at half the price.

It's obviously not going to make people trying to shoot pro video happy, but I'm unaware of anything under $1K that would even begin to satisfy them, and very little under $1500.

In particular when viewed in terms of the upgrade cost from the Mavic Mini, you get an IMMENSE upgrade for the extra money.

I have Phantom 3 Pro, Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic Air, Mavic Mini, and Mavic Air 2, the Air 2 is an easy first-choice for just about anything I want to do.

I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.

Most threads praise it.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead