DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Is it really THAT bad?

I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?
I wanted to share that I have flown a few Mavics for the first time in only the last several months. I started with the Mini, so flying with DJI Fly is okay for me.

The MA2 is as solid a flyer as its bigger siblings, the Mavic 2 series. I understand the issues brought up by our forum members. And while I don’t doubt their experiences, I also realize that most are fairly new to the hobby, and will tend to highlight things that others have already resolved, or things that others don’t see as a big deal.

Eventually you’ll decide on the MA2 now, later or another Mavic. You’ll probably, eventually post asking which tablet is best or what cable to order, and those are all good problems to have. In either case, I look forward to you sharing some beautiful footage from the U.K.!

Great drone, no issues with it at all. Love the drone, it's very capable and a bargain at its price point. Apple has them in stock and they deliver within days if you're looking to order one online and want one fast. Honestly, people are nitpicking it. Video and photo quality is way above par for its price point and the flight characteristics of the drone is amazing. It's not exactly cheap, but it's the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

This is the nature of things. If you want to find uplifting stories I would not put the news on. Same goes for forums. There is just no market for posts about how someone is enjoying their new drone. People will be happy enough to share their story if they've had a problem. I have purchased ma2 for testing as I already have a mavic 2 pro. I believe that ma2 is a better drone in almost every respect. The camera in hands of a none professional will yield better results then the one in m2p and I believe ma2 cannot be beaten on the smoothness of flight. A well seasoned pro with in depth knowledge of colour space and colour grading will be able to squeeze more out of m2p.

The MA2 is my first good drone, previous ones have been toys! So I can not compare direct to any other drone.
Never take off in a rush, always make sure the RTH is updated and the info on the screen corresponds( drone position on map etc) . Only had a few flights and it’s far exceeded my expectations . The negatives for me have been the H265 requires a powerful computer , so I have to use H264 (not end of world). The iPhone 6s Plus has started to have a CPU warning, obviously being pushed a bit too much. Have to spend some time yet to figure if I can change the odd setting to improve. Lastly the distance, at 400-500m I get a weak signal warning. However flying much further and it would be pretty much out of view . Also not tried in a completely open area, so this could be normal! I don’t have any intention of flying further, so again not end of world for me. Just some noob findings in early days, learning every day.

Wow - impressed by the large volume of responses and always good to hear positive things about the Air 2.

Thank you all for your input - it definitely does help hearing from those that currently own an Air 2 with a fair few flights/hours racked up.

Wow - impressed by the large volume of responses and always good to hear positive things about the Air 2.

Thank you all for your input - it definitely does help hearing from those that currently own an Air 2 with a fair few flights/hours racked up.
bet ya cant wait when it arrives now :) just remember to charge for first time all batteries separately direct from the charger :)

bet ya cant wait when it arrives now :) just remember to charge for first time all batteries separately direct from the charger :)

Definitely - constantly checking stock levels on Amazon!

Charging all batteries separately - is this a 'known bug', or is it instructed in the manual?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
The batteries come in hibernation mode (think under 5%). It requires the standalone charger to wake them up and charge initially. Some have not had the issue, others had bricked batteries. So to be safe and now recommended, use the standalone . Once charged, it’s fine to use either or. I was tempted to buy the charge base, but it only charges one at a time. So no real point for me. Its more convenient and saves checking where they are up to, but that practice I am use to .

As a hobbyists drone (after all it is made for the recreational market and NOT the professional market) I don't think it can really be faulted. The app would constantly crash using my Samsung Note8 but with my NOTE10+ it has been completely stable. I saw one Youtube video where a guy was saying he was a professional and he was using the MA2 for his professional application which was chasing dirt bikes around the back of nowhere in the middle of the good old USA. He was just being cheap trying to get a recreational drone to fulfill his professional needs and he didn't want to pay the price for the correct tool for the job. That isn't any fault of the drone. I suggest when you see bad reports try and think of the reasons behind it, mostly user error I would say. It is easier to blame the tool than the operator. I had the original Mavic Air before this one and the MA2 is a significant upgrade and I have no qualms at all for spending the money to buy it. My only gripe is that the DJI apps still work better on Apple devices and this is across the board, not exclusive to the MA2. I get the whole argument about there being too many implementations of Android to cover all of them but what I do have trouble accepting is their claims of compatibility when there is clearly a difference. But it is still very functional (I am a particular fan of the included video editing suite with the app) and the MA2 gives great results. I'd be truly surprised if you regretted buying one.

I fly it almost daily. With the drone ZERO issues. I've yet to do ONE compass calibration. Never asks me. The MP2 asks me 99% of the time. It actually goes 500' to 1000' further than the bigger drone. Why? No idea. The Air 2 has been very solid. One nice thing rarely mentioned is that the drone is in focus all the time. The app crashed couple of times and came back.

I came from Parrot Anafi, and this drone is very very very ... good. For the price of 1049euro’s ext pack, this is a really great drone with very good results. The manner of flying is extreem correct. So i will go on holiday to Croatia and will make some great records. I let you know when i’m back home. I don’t understand why peoples discuss about things that the drone is not responsable for. I look alot on the youtube movies anout reviews and allost 90% of the reviews are positief about it, and if not...the problem was not the drone but the pilot.
I’m using my iPhoneX as smartphone.

I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.
No issues and an all round fantastic drone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock