DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Is it really THAT bad?

Same as the others... GREAT drone for the price. Upgraded from Mavic Air 1 and enjoying pleasant prop sound, Occusync, better camera, better in the wind, longer flight time. And ZERO problems so far. iPhone is however way better for the Go4 or Fly app. Tried once on Android and no-go...

Reactions: QuestionTime
I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.
I've had a Phantom 3 A for 5 years and bought the Mav Air 2 a week ago. Love it. Take criticism with a grain of salt...

Reactions: crosswired
I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.
I have been flying my new Air 2 for a couple of weeks and I like high tech gear. This drone is fantastic, to me. No issues so far, great stills and video, quiet, very manoeuvrable, especially with Tripod Mode for fine tuning landings or filming near obstacles, excellent RTH and comms signal and more special filming effects than I will need often. I bought the Fly More Combo and the extra 2 batteries (and charging bank) give me about 80 minutes total and a bit of spare for safety, on calm days. If you are a pro you might want a bigger drone and sensor or a zoom lens (which would be nice) but for the features at the Combo price, I have no bad words to say. Great kit and I am very happy! And it is a huge amount of fun! Never lose sight of that part! I hope that you enjoy yours and, yes, do look forward to opening the box! Cheers ? ?

I came from Parrot Anafi, and this drone is very very very ... good. For the price of 1049euro’s ext pack, this is a really great drone with very good results. The manner of flying is extreem correct. So i will go on holiday to Croatia and will make some great records. I let you know when i’m back home. I don’t understand why peoples discuss about things that the drone is not responsable for. I look alot on the youtube movies anout reviews and allost 90% of the reviews are positief about it, and if not...the problem was not the drone but the pilot.
I’m using my iPhoneX as smartphone.
Thats the key, these drones are made to be flown with IOS and not Android.... I am a Team Android guy but I own an iPhone just to use with my DJI products.

Can you tell me more on your comment re; Fly app? What are the issues with the Fly app? What alternative app are you using?
Most pilots seem to be coming off a different DJI app after hundreds of flights so it is only natural that Fly will pose issues. As I have not used another app, for me it will just be familiarity - hands, eyes, pulse, drone! ? ? ?????? (Patience ........?)

I am very happy with my MA2 upgrade from the Mini. I felt it was well worth the money and since I have only ever used the Fly app I have no issues running it. I love the power, responsiveness and the wind resistance of the MA2, especially when compared to the Mini. I found with the mini I would miss opportunities to fly because I was afraid the wind was too high. Don’t have that issue with the MA2

I made my first three flights yesterday, no problems whatsoever. And I'm an Android guy - no app crashes or anything but buttery smooth goodness. Easy activation, no issues just charging all three batteries at once with the dock, firmware updated on everything just fine. I couldn't have asked for a smoother out-of-the-box experience.

The only downside is that it's so much fun to fly, my 13yo took the controls, said "Don't worry, I know what I'm doing" (he's in a drone tech class in school) and proceeded to make me look like a noob. D'oh! ;)

In my opinion, its either a good or excellent drone, depending upon your expectations.

For a hobby flier hoping to have some fun flying, take some good video and/or photos, it really is great. The complaints for a general hobby flier are really pretty minor. Some people have a hard time seeing the battery percentage in the app, 8k Hyperlapse might not work great (who has something that can display 8k?) and things like that. However, it flies great, is quiet, durable, and has lots of features. The shooting modes like Smart/HDR get you really good results without editing (much or at all) -- probably better than just about anything else out of the box, so if you are a point-and-shoot type person, the Air 2 may be the best bet.

It's the pro flier that might have a little more complaints. At the moment, you can't adjust gimbal and stick smoothness. Although I find the "stock" settings pretty good, if you are really trying to shoot a true professional video, you might not get some of the movements as smooth as you want them. A pro will want to post process their own videos and pictures, to get even better quality, so will probably not use those smart/HDR modes and might find the RAW photos or flat video isn't as good as something like the Mavic 2 Pro that has a larger camera sensor. That said, it still has some things like 4k60 and such that a pro might like and may make this still a good drone of choice.

Otherwise, the only complaints fall into two categories:
1 - A few have had problems -- seem to be a small handful (think 3 or so posted here, I imagine there would be more) with gimbal issues, and there was a period where a few were having activation issues. Saw a post on the DJI forum with someone with a bad motor. Really a very small amount, wouldn't worry about this, although it could happen to the one you buy -- just return/exchange

2 - Features that people want because they've heard of it or had it in another drone. The Air 1 had gesture control and Tapfly. The Pro has waypoints. If any of those features are super important to you, maybe this isn't the drone for you. That said, this has Focus Track/Spotlight which is really super, a better Active Track, more options for high frame rates for slow motion and a few other things those others don't have Other people are complaining it doesn't yet work with a Smart Controller (Should be fixed soon) or the Crystal Sky (will probably never be fixed because its old tech).

I'd say if you aren't a serious pro, and arne't married to crystal sky or waypoints, its hard to find a better drone, particularly for the money. If you are a true professional who wants to spend lots of time post processing, you may prefer the Pro 2 or to wait some of the features to be added (or to wait for the Pro 3), although at almost twice the price, you have to think of the use case.
As a land surveyor, the waypoints interest me, as a work colleague uses a Phantom 4 Pro and Pix4D post processing to fly overlapping waypoint runs to produce ground mapping and DTM’s for earthwork volumes and design. I contacted Drone Deploy who also produce third party s/w with waypoints and flight planning and they list most DJI drones as compatible, including the Mavic Air. They are waiting for DJI to release the Air 2 code, to add it as well. The ETA is within 6 months, after the Air 2 has been in the market for a while. I notice waypoints can be set in Hyperlapse mode now so it is not likely to be that difficult; I am sure that it will come, as the Air 2 takes very clear single frame images and is very stable and manoeuvrable. It will also suit mapping work. I personally think the Air 2 is excellent, for price and performance. My wishlist: as a photographer, a zoom lens! But I can certainly live with the Air 2 features. ??

I’ve had mine for 3 weeks now and love it! Big improvement over the MA. As pointed out before, I’m not keen on the Fly app, DJI Gi was much better imo.

I'm coming for a Spark which I got quite a bit of use out of. It was a great drone for photos and a pretty ok drone for video. This thing blows it away in every aspect. Photos are better, and video is on a whole other level. Range and battery life are exceptional as well. Other than my activation problem this thing has been absolutely amazing (it seems like there was a bad batch of serial numbers a while back that affected some drones, mine was one of them. Buy from a reputable retailer and the swap out is not a problem).

Step back for a minute here. No prosumer drone will match the capabilities of a big drone with a decent DSLR style camera for stills or video for the near term. To get a high performance video camera will cost between $3,000 and $25,000 before adding the accessories needed to make it functional. A drone capable of lifting and controlling such a rig will also be expensive.

The achievements that DJI has made are quite remarkable at their price points. One gets what he pays for.

The batteries come in hibernation mode (think under 5%). It requires the standalone charger to wake them up and charge initially. Some have not had the issue, others had bricked batteries. So to be safe and now recommended, use the standalone . Once charged, it’s fine to use either or. I was tempted to buy the charge base, but it only charges one at a time. So no real point for me. Its more convenient and saves checking where they are up to, but that practice I am use to .
Buy the Air 2 Fly More Combo. Good value with 2 extra batteries, a 3-way charging bank, 3 ND filters, spare rotors and a handy carry bag for the drone and kit. And a car charger is an accessory too - and rotor protectors, if you are concerned about a learning phase. ??

My 1st drone. Been flying it for about 3 weeks now, and think it’s excellent on a number of points. I bought the “fly more” combo pack which is definitely the way to go. The 48mp still photos, & 4K 60/FPS video are brilliant! The HDR panorama shots are also stunning!

One of the best drone in the market. Works perfect with Android. Zero problems until now.
That's awesome and if you have no problems with it on Android by all means you should stick to what works for you, I bought the iPhone because of what I read on the box as well as what a few friends experienced

Attachments

• 15918872012621325225642072510418.jpg
    15918872012621325225642072510418.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 25
That badge "Made for Iphone" is a pure marketing thing :)
As i said, i have an Samsung S8 and it works like a charm. But, because the android world is full of different hardware, is obvious that the iphones or ipads ar surely working very well because there are less variants and the product and the software from dji is easyer to optimise.

Reactions: TheBaldConvict

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azod.nem