DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Is it really THAT bad?

What it comes down to, and this is true with just about every new model of anything, the people who experience problems will always be the loudest voices. This makes it appear as though there is a legitimate problem, but in reality, there are far more people who experience no problems, but they don’t come on the forums to say how problem free their experience has been.

My MA2 arrives on Tuesday - I'll post my 'first flight review' as soon as (here's hoping for good weather!).

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
For what it's worth, I just spent about a week with one for a review I was writing for MacDirectory. I thought it was a fantastic improvement over the original, which I have been flying for about a year and a half for commercial video and photography missions. After I sent the demo back, I ordered one from Amazon. Then I started reading the reports of crashes and control-loss here. Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned.

This could be a case of the first-production-run blues. I've seen that with a lot of products. Everyone was sold out before I ordered mine, so I am guessing/hoping that it may be part of a second production run, but I'm still going to need to be careful. The cases I read about here seem to be electro-mechanical failures, not simple fly-aways, which can often be attributed to RF and navigation issues (the aircraft flies correctly, just not where you want it to). I remember that problems like this grounded GoPro's ill-fated drone a couple of years ago.

So we'll see, I guess. If it proves to be endemic, DJI will have to deal with it or face class-actions similar to those taken up against other tech firms. Or it could be a QA issue that just hit a few people. I'm rarely an early adopter of anything, but I really fell in love with the Air 2.

Ric

Reactions: QuestionTime
I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.
The drone is amazing!!!! Buy one!!!

It's an excellent drone. Even more so, considering the reasonable price.

My only frustrations are that it has been released before the flight simulation software was ready for it. Same thing for ocusync 2 goggles.

But next year the engineers will have versions of simulation software and vr goggles that work with it, so that's fine.

I'd rather have the drone now, rather than wait a year for the whole suite to be ready.

battery thingy need to be done with first charge only, after that you can pump them all at the same time with the dock
I just woke the batteries from hibernate on the single connection then put them in the multi charger the first time. No battery problems and the drone hasn’t fallen from the sky yet.
My first Air 2 wouldn’t activate but the second one has been flawless.
I’ll be they’ll have some good refurb deals when they get back all the ones with activation issues and fix/reprogram them.

The MA2 is an excellent choice for beginners that haven't owned DJI craft before, flying with Go4. Great price for the technology, nobody else comes close. If you own a M2P or M2Z, the value of buying the MA2 isn't nearly as good, unless you must have 4K@60FPS, which the M2 craft cannot do. But beginners rarely need 4K@60FPS, nor do they usually have the PC that's powerful enough to edit 4K video. The "new OcuSync2" in the MA2 is interesting (they should have called it OcuSync3), since it uses H.265 compression for the downlink from the craft to the RC. This is why Go4 doesn't work with MA2. Compared to M2's downlink with Go4 using H.264 compression, H.265 is a more efficient compression technique, which helps with display clarity, and supporting a little more range, which is nice. However, in the real world more range is not essential, since the M2 craft can go over 4 miles. Going farther than 4mi isn't needed, my eyesight is good, but not that good.

For owners of P4 and P4P (which use Go4), this craft can be more convenient to fly, since it folds into a small package for vacation travel, backpacking, mountain biking, etc. The smaller size opens up new possibilities that DJI's Phantom line can't compete with. I wouldn't recommend the original MP, or MPP (poor camera and gimbal IMO), but the MA2 is a winner for size, features, quality and performance.

Last edited:
In my opin and started out with the Holystone Drone and it was ok
and then started watching and learning from other drone dudes and dudets from U Tube
aka 51 drones ..capt drone and drone valley..two years ago went out and bought me a DJI mini mav
and learned that this is what is cool and loved it!
Now I hear about the Mavic Air 2 coming out and ordered one..got it and dang if I did not fall in love
It's an excellent drone for sure and the icing on the cake...found this awesome forum and now learning even more
thank you all
Gordon

I've been browsing this forum for a day or so, and I've seen a lot of negative threads/comments about the Mavic Air 2 - is it really as bad as people are saying with current issues/glitches?

I guess people only create threads on the 'negative' things to get help & support - but are there any 'positive' threads about the Air 2? I've watched a fair few YouTube videos, and again, there are a fair few negative videos (definitely more positive then negative on YT though!).

I'm awaiting stock for the Air 2, then I'll be placing an order, but honestly, these threads & comments are making me think I should wait for a few firmware/software updates before putting the dent in my bank.
No Big issues here. Awesome drone if you ask me.

For the money I say get the Mavic Pro. The color profiles, being able to adjust sensitivity of the sticks, etc. If you are a rec flier looking to become pro it is a phenomenal first drone for the money. I fly professionally and use it on at least 4 to 5 jobs a month. I picked it up for $800 with 5 batteries and all kinds of extras. So it doesn’t do hyperlapse. If you want a good hyperlapse you are taking raw photos and assembling anyways.

The MA2 Drone has been great...but DJI Fly [Android] crashes a couple times per flight which is disconcerting. Hasn't resulted in a crash yet, but I expect it will eventually. First flight with Fly 1.1.4 it crashed after about 8 minutes.
I hope it doesn't crash with the Apple - I just ordered a MA2 a few minutes ago from the dji store after selling the old MA :)

The MA2 Drone has been great...but DJI Fly [Android] crashes a couple times per flight which is disconcerting. Hasn't resulted in a crash yet, but I expect it will eventually. First flight with Fly 1.1.4 it crashed after about 8 minutes.
Has to be your device or cable....i fly with a galaxy s20 have 41 flights and the app has never crashed once

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
My girlfriend owns an Air 2, uses it with her android phone, has had zero app crashes, not a single glitch period.
If having trouble with the app, try deleting it, and then reload. Or try a different device, a tablet, spouse's phone, kid's phone, a friend's phone.

Everytime a thread pops up like this one, and I happened to own the one in discussion I purposely and deliberately try to find fault. Unfortunately this particular drone I cant find any. I will probably give it another go at it but if I cant find fault then I guess I can say I received a good operating unit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure