DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Mapping

Reactions
Has anyone been able to complete an aerial map using a Mavic Air 2 and using free software? I love drone deploy but to support the Mavic Air 2 you must pay $99 a month just to use the app for capture and not stitching. I have Litchi and could use that (even though its not for mapping) if anyone can help with that app.

Reactions: BeBeep
Not with the Mavic Air 2 but with a Mini 2 I produce orthophotos and 3D models using OpenDroneMap for the stitching. I previously (before the update DJI SDK supporting the Mini 2 was released) flew the capture flights manually but now I use Dronelink running on an Android phone for control. ODM is free unless you choose to pay for the installer (once off and very reasonable) Dronelink is also a once off cost, but you could possibly use Litchi instead.

You can see the orthophotos I've produced at OpenAerialMap, these were mostly produced flying manually, only this one was flown automatically with dronelink.

Rob.

Reactions: 72evenant
Thanks Ralley for your input. I have been working on using Litchi for the autonomation of the flight and then I use Pt Gui to stitch the images. Nice thing is using Virtual Litchi Mission online I can view the actual flight path as well as match the FOV on the Mavic Air 2 camera. So I'm thinking this will be all I need but I will test it soon.

Check this out, it might help.
You can use Mission Planner to map the missions and then fly them in Litchi.
Read about it more here: Mission Planner Surveys to Litchi

I use Mavic Air 2 as my M2P backup on a weekly construction progress set of imagery. Map Pilot Pro processed by Maps Made Easy. I have their Elite Level, but most smaller maps can be nearly free…like a chain drugstore. A Walmart sized map or larger would take at least their first pay level of about $10/month.

Reactions: Pallidin
Little late to the party but I just created my first ortho using Map Pilot Pro and Open Drone Mapping. ODM was kinda rough because I did the manual instal so you have to be able to figure out command prompts to install it, but it was free that way. The instructions are pretty clear.

hello, I am new to the drone world. I have a MA2 with smart controller and I am trying to do mapping projects but I can not get anything to download on the controller. I have tried MME and Dj pilot PE neithers support MA2. I heard they stopped making the smart controller as well. Does anyone have a resolution for this or do I have to take the loss and just get a regular controller??

Quincy.

I love drone deploy but to support the Mavic Air 2 you must pay $99 a month just to use the app for capture and not stitching.
I realise this is an old post but this information is not correct.
Dronedeploy is free to use to plan, fly and acquire the images.
What you pay for is the image processing if you choose to have DD do that for you.

Reactions: Que4326
Thank you for your response. I have looked at the supporting drone in DD and it says that the MA2 is iOS only. Do you think that it will still be able to download on smart controller still?? Also if you have thoughts on LITCHI that would be helpful, I just haven't pulled the trigger because I was looking for a free options. Dealing with the smart controller

Thank you for your response. I have looked at the supporting drone in DD and it says that the MA2 is iOS only. Do you think that it will still be able to download on smart controller still?? Also if you have thoughts on LITCHI that would be helpful, I just haven't pulled the trigger because I was looking for a free options. Dealing with the smart controller
No ... the smart controller is an Android device, so it cannot run an Android app, even if you could load it onto the smart controller.
Litchi is a fine app for waypoint flying, but it isn't a mapping app.

Oh, I apologize if I misunderstood. I have been stuck here for a week with this issue. So your saying DD can be added and used on my smart controller and I can use my PC to process all using DD?? If not can you please offer any recommendations.
No ... the smart controller is an Android device, so it cannot run an Android app, even if you could load it onto the smart controller.
Litchi is a fine app for waypoint flying, but it isn't a mapping app.

Oh, I apologize if I misunderstood. I have been stuck here for a week with this issue. So your saying DD can be added and used on my smart controller and I can use my PC to process all using DD?? If not can you please offer any recommendations.
Not at all.
Sorry .. I mistyped in my previous post and have corrected it now.
The Air 2S is only supported by DD with their iOS app.
Your smart controller is an Android device, so it won't run any iOS apps.
I doubt you can load any 3rd party apps to your smart controller anyway.

Not at all.
Sorry .. I mistyped in my previous post and have corrected it now.
The Air 2S is only supported by DD with their iOS app.
Your smart controller is an Android device, so it won't run any iOS apps.
I doubt you can load any 3rd party apps to your smart controller anyway.
OK if I'm not able to load any 3rd party app then what would be the best way to use the smart controller for mapping?? Would I have to have a program on my PC then make a mission and transfer it to the SC?? I apologize if these questions are redundant but I am trying to get a exact understanding. Thanks for your help.

OK if I'm not able to load any 3rd party app then what would be the best way to use the smart controller for mapping??
I don't think you can.
You could use the drone with DroneDeploy with a regular controller and an iOS device.
But DJI's integrated screen/controllers generally don't allow 3rd party apps to be loaded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett