DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 maximum distance is only 6km if purchased outside of US?

I just found this article that says the maximum distance is cut down to 6km if the drone is purchased outside of the us??
Read the article.
It's the transmitter power that's different in accordance with local regulations.
That's the same for any RC equipment.
But it's still going to provide more distance than most users need.
Actual distance achievable could be considerably less in US or Europe depending on how much interference is in your local environment.

I wonder if DJI will offer a free upgrade program to people who purchase it outside of the US once the parts become more available...

Quite disappointing if not

Reactions: asko
Just finished a chat with DJI support who don’t seem to be too knowledgeable, but he did say that the CE models will transmit at FCC levels in FCC region. Keeping my fingers crossed that the “FCC hack” still works. It worked for CE models of Mavic mini FWIW. Of course for Mavic mini CE the hardware limitations still applies so the range increase is limited, but for Air 2 doesn’t seem like there are 2 sets of TX / RX hardware.

edit- confirmed by DJI forum support staff that there is no hardware difference so the TX RX power will switch automatically depending on region.

Last edited:
Just finished a chat with DJI support who don’t seem to be too knowledgeable, but he did say that the CE models will transmit at FCC levels in FCC region. Keeping my fingers crossed that the “FCC hack” still works. It worked for CE models of Mavic mini FWIW. Of course for Mavic mini CE the hardware limitations still applies so the range increase is limited, but for Air 2 doesn’t seem like there are 2 sets of TX / RX hardware.

edit- confirmed by DJI forum support staff that there is no hardware difference so the TX RX power will switch automatically depending on region.

I've got a A2 on order. I've used the hack on my Air (1), Spark, and on the mini (both the CE (in 5.8) and FCC models) in Malaysia with good success. I'm hoping the hack will work on the Air 2 will work as well. Having said that, if I can get 5 km using the ocusync on the Air 2 without the hack then I'm happy. Time will tell....

No doubt antenna mods will soon be out for the Air 2. 4hawks and Alientech will no doubt come up with something. It will be fun to watch...

I’m Australian and have a Mavic Air 2 on order. With the lack of the ADS-B and this limitation, I now wish I’d bought from a US distributor.

Am I incorrect in thinking that in Oz the FCC transmission regulations are acceptable ? I thought that the Mini sold in Oz and NZ is the FCC model. If that's the case then the Air 2 should be able to transmit on the FCC range also. ???

Of course, the ADS-B not being shipped to Oz initially is a letdown but are there regulations there that will limit the drone if it doesn't have it ?

I've got a A2 on order. I've used the hack on my Air (1), Spark, and on the mini (both the CE (in 5.8) and FCC models) in Malaysia with good success. I'm hoping the hack will work on the Air 2 will work as well. Having said that, if I can get 5 km using the ocusync on the Air 2 without the hack then I'm happy. Time will tell....

No doubt antenna mods will soon be out for the Air 2. 4hawks and Alientech will no doubt come up with something. It will be fun to watch...
You have used the CE mini in Malaysia with the FCC trick / hack? It does transmit stronger right? I’m hoping it continues to work as preceded by all models...

while I have no plans to fly beyond 5km as you, we all hope for a stronger signal and connection. There are many times we may not have a direct LOS or even point the remote at the drone at all times...so any additional signal strength is greatly welcome and crucial.

looking at the remote now, perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise that the antenna is actually not fully enclosed / covered by the main housing. Maybe it’d actually even easier to pull out the antenna leads for the antenna mod. But with so much invested already in Occusync 2 and the size of the remote itself, I’ll hope that it’s not even necessary for normal flying, like my Pro 1 with 1.5w FCC hack and many of the Pro 2 users.

Reactions: westozmavicpilot
You have used the CE mini in Malaysia with the FCC trick / hack? It does transmit stronger right? I’m hoping it continues to work as preceded by all models...

while I have no plans to fly beyond 5km as you, we all hope for a stronger signal and connection. There are many times we may not have a direct LOS or even point the remote at the drone at all times...so any additional signal strength is greatly welcome and crucial.

looking at the remote now, perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise that the antenna is actually not fully enclosed / covered by the main housing. Maybe it’d actually even easier to pull out the antenna leads for the antenna mod. But with so much invested already in Occusync 2 and the size of the remote itself, I’ll hope that it’s not even necessary for normal flying, like my Pro 1 with 1.5w FCC hack and many of the Pro 2 users.

I also am optimistic about the Air 2 antenna mod possibilities. I agree with your observation that the antenna mods may well be much easier than any of the previous RCs. With luck, if necessary, the mod will be much easier than opening up the whole RC as is required on previous models...

Having said that, if the occusync range is 75% as good as stated, mods will not be needed for most users.. Although, as we know, better range MUST be attempted at any cost... It's simply the way it is.... :) ;-)

This is ammusing

I just found this article that says the maximum distance is cut down to 6km if the drone is purchased outside of the us??

I wonder if DJI will offer a free upgrade program to people who purchase it outside of the US once the parts become more available...
Quite disappointing if not

6Km is WAY out side viable line of sight. Probably way outside any assisted optical solution too. Why would you need to fly 6km? Let alone any more..
Most people, flying legally, don't seem to be flying any more than 500metres.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I thought that the Mini sold in Oz and NZ is the FCC model.

Yes, this was correct, the Mavic Mini in Australia is FCC.
Not sure why, every other DJI consumer drone has been CE.
But hey, range on ocusync / ocusync 2 has been very good anyway on all the models using these, way more than we should be flying and keeping legal / sensible.
I'd only really flown a few times more than say 500m, and past that up to a km max (once), and I've only done this in very (very) suitable places.

(Not directed to you Gary)
Why on Earth do Aussie pilots need ADS-B ?
Most of our light aircraft / helicopters don't transmit, aren't required to, and it's far too expensive to retrofit for these small aircraft operators.

Reactions: jagraphics
Why on Earth do Aussie pilots need ADS-B ?
Most of our light aircraft / helicopters don't transmit, aren't required to, and it's far too expensive to retrofit for these small aircraft operators.

Because China is spying via it's drones......
Sorry could not resist. :)

I expect they may use this as a reason/excuse to review the fitting of transponders to light aircraft. If it is widley done elsewhere I am sure the kit will be fairly easily available and a standard upgrade to most aircraft. Though probably not inexpensive. But then neither are aircraft.

Because China is spying via it's drones......
Sorry could not resist. :)

I expect they may use this as a reason/excuse to review the fitting of transponders to light aircraft. If it is widley done elsewhere I am sure the kit will be fairly easily available and a standard upgrade to most aircraft. Though probably not inexpensive. But then neither are aircraft.

Not sure if there is much in it, I know you said it in jest, or half jest.
I don't auto sync my logs, don't see the point, but I imagine many pilots leave their drones default to do this.
Not sure ADS-B would go further than local networks for it, not sure how far or how that network is set up for ATC centres.

I have read a few reports, some CASA articles about ADS-B and light aircraft.
Only a very few commercial type light aircraft have this.
It might happen one day, or be made law that all new light commercial and private aircraft need to fitted with it, but I think it's a long time away yet from the sounds of it.
I think in the US most planes inc light aircraft have it, helis too (?).

Automated urban drone deliveries (which I don't even consider will be viable in their current trial forms) might make lawmakers reconsider, not sure.
If they are required to stay below 400' here, then there's really no point, they just need to make sure airspace categories are being adhered to and light aircraft stay above 500'.

Reactions: jagraphics
Not sure if there is much in it, I know you said it in jest, or half jest.
I don't auto sync my logs, don't see the point, but I imagine many pilots leave their drones default to do this.
Not sure ADS-B would go further than local networks for it, not sure how far or how that network is set up for ATC centres.

I have read a few reports, some CASA articles about ADS-B and light aircraft.
Only a very few commercial type light aircraft have this.
It might happen one day, or be made law that all new light commercial and private aircraft need to fitted with it, but I think it's a long time away yet from the sounds of it.
I think in the US most planes inc light aircraft have it, helis too (?).

Automated urban drone deliveries (which I don't even consider will be viable in their current trial forms) might make lawmakers reconsider, not sure.
If they are required to stay below 400' here, then there's really no point, they just need to make sure airspace categories are being adhered to and light aircraft stay above 500'.

As they said in Game of Thrones: Transponders are coming but not before the Winter :)
Eventually I think they will come in to light aircraft especially if DJI puts them into drones.

As for Drone delivery... It will start and they will realize it is simply not practical. It is also expensive. They will lose drones and deliveries. In fact I can't see it happening in any meaningful way in the next decade.

As they said in Game of Thrones: Transponders are coming but not before the Winter :)
Eventually I think they will come in to light aircraft especially if DJI puts them into drones.

As for Drone delivery... It will start and they will realize it is simply not practical. It is also expensive. They will lose drones and deliveries. In fact I can't see it happening in any meaningful way in the next decade.

Lol, I have never watched a single bit of GOT, so no idea ?
I think drones will follow manned aircraft changes, not so much the other way, but follow the $ of the big companies exploring drone delivery and you never know, if they grease enough palms, they might have some influence.

Until they make an unmanned drone the size of a small delivery van, it will simply be unviable, and they think the size of the trial drones will be a danger to the public falling from the sky ?

Lol, I have never watched a single bit of GOT, so no idea ?

Neither have I but apparently all through the first season there was always this line of "winter is coming.... " said mltiple times by some of the major characters. I have no idea if winter ever arrived.

I think drones will follow manned aircraft changes, not so much the other way, but follow the $ of the big companies exploring drone delivery and you never know, if they grease enough palms, they might have some influence.
If all the large commercial aircraft have transponders and all the drones do as well as light aircraft in other countries I think it will cause the legislators to eventually include light aircraft. As you say there is money to be made retor fitting these things.

Until they make an unmanned drone the size of a small delivery van, it will simply be unviable, and they think the size of the trial drones will be a danger to the public falling from the sky ?
Yes. Also... an "unmanned drone the size of a small delivery van" will be worth hijacking. It is going to be easier to intercept one of those that a maned delivery truck. People tend to call the police when they see a van being held up. IF a drone is brought down they are just as likely to join in. You only need a few that size to be hijacked or fall out of the sky for it to be stopped. Not least by which ever union represents the drivers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt