DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 new Owner sharing his first footage and have just one question :)

Hamad

Reactions
Hi guys

Yesterday was my second flight with my brand new MA2 and I was so happy with it .. I went out to a nearby salt lake village ( better than the one in Utah lol ) and captured some photos and videos ..

everything went great I just realized that the video files I recorded in 4K were split into 3.75GB files each although I formatted the SD card inside the drone before using it .. I k is it’s normal, but is there a ways to merge them via any iPhone app without losing quality ?

I tried iMovie but the video size decreased significantly
- 2x files 3.75 each and 4.50 minutes
Should be 10 minutes video with over 8GB video, instead of that I got only 1.50GB video after exporting.

i would appreciate any suggestions to fix this issue only via iPhone cause I don’t use laptop a lot. AA0D0997-F36B-4F19-9A7B-72E5559F37D4.jpegC6A4B648-384E-40B2-9E13-E47CED866D01.jpegE55066F0-AC8D-437A-B49D-74CC926EDB21.jpeg32AEF391-9E27-4194-ADAF-641D4821BFCF.jpegB4526F82-67C0-4EC9-AC2A-AC622CD392D3.jpeg

Because the drone's SD card (and internal memory) is formatted FAT32, there is a max file size of 4GB, so as a file reaches that size, it will create a new file and so on. There is no loss of data in this process if you are filming, and the files can be merged with video editing software, and the merge will be seamless.

If you want a recommendation on a good video editing app for iPhone and or iPad, consider LumaFusion. It's a very powerful editor, and it's a one time purchase with no month to month subscription.

That's how it works. maximum file size. The old FAT32 formats had that limitation because of the filesystem.
The exFAT system that this drone uses does not have that limitation. But for some reason, DJI has decided to split videos at that size. Some Forums say because of some licensing charges over that size, but no one really seems to know for sure from my looking around.

Now in regards to joining them, You can easily get laptop software that joins the files without re-rendering them I know of MP4join, FFmpeg I believe will do it too. However I am no expert on that type of software as I use Premiere Pro and haven't needed that stuff for a while.

Someone else might be able to point you towards some iOS software that joins rather then renders like movie (that's why you are getting large filesizes I imagine)

Physically take the SD card out of your drone, download the files to your computer and as others have said, any video editing software will play the clips seamlessly. I use Final Cut Pro X because I'm a Mac user, but the ones mentioned above will work great also.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

This forum has a great search option and you will find a lot of great answers.

You will notice that SD card and which Video software search results will give a lot of answers.

Yes I know
Because the drone's SD card (and internal memory) is formatted FAT32, there is a max file size of 4GB, so as a file reaches that size, it will create a new file and so on. There is no loss of data in this process if you are filming, and the files can be merged with video editing software, and the merge will be seamless.

If you want a recommendation on a good video editing app for iPhone and or iPad, consider LumaFusion. It's a very powerful editor, and it's a one time purchase with no month to month subscription.
Thank you for your answer
Yes I do understand how it works my only issue was how to merge them without losing any quality or have to re-rendering .. this app lumafusion is it for sure won’t reduce the quality ? It’s about 40$ and doesn’t have free trial.

That's how it works. maximum file size. The old FAT32 formats had that limitation because of the filesystem.
The exFAT system that this drone uses does not have that limitation. But for some reason, DJI has decided to split videos at that size. Some Forums say because of some licensing charges over that size, but no one really seems to know for sure from my looking around.

Now in regards to joining them, You can easily get laptop software that joins the files without re-rendering them I know of MP4join, FFmpeg I believe will do it too. However I am no expert on that type of software as I use Premiere Pro and haven't needed that stuff for a while.

Someone else might be able to point you towards some iOS software that joins rather then renders like movie (that's why you are getting large filesizes I imagine)
Thank you for your suggestions

Using laptop software is not an option for me right now since I don’t use it a lot, I’ll keep looking for IOS alternatives

Physically take the SD card out of your drone, download the files to your computer and as others have said, any video editing software will play the clips seamlessly. I use Final Cut Pro X because I'm a Mac user, but the ones mentioned above will work great also.
Thank you for your suggestion
Using laptop software is not an option for me right now since I don’t use it a lot, I’ll keep looking for IOS alternatives

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

This forum has a great search option and you will find a lot of great answers.

You will notice that SD card and which Video software search results will give a lot of answers.
Thank you

I did searched before asking and I found some threads about this issue but most of them discus using softwares to merge them, I couldn’t find a specific answer since I was looking for iOS app.

Hi guys

Yesterday was my second flight with my brand new MA2 and I was so happy with it .. I went out to a nearby salt lake village ( better than the one in Utah lol ) and captured some photos and videos ..

everything went great I just realized that the video files I recorded in 4K were split into 3.75GB files each although I formatted the SD card inside the drone before using it .. I k is it’s normal, but is there a ways to merge them via any iPhone app without losing quality ?

Should be 10 minutes video with over 8GB video, instead of that I got only 1.50GB video after exporting.

i would appreciate any suggestions to fix this issue only via iPhone cause I don’t use laptop a lot. View attachment 122657View attachment 122658View attachment 122659View attachment 122660View attachment 122661

A Google search for "iOS app for merging mp4" came up with this link: 20 Best MP4 Joiner to Merge MP4 on Mac/Windows/iPhone/Android

Yes I know

Thank you for your answer
Yes I do understand how it works my only issue was how to merge them without losing any quality or have to re-rendering .. this app lumafusion is it for sure won’t reduce the quality ? It’s about 40$ and doesn’t have free trial.
LumaFusion is a full video editing solution in an app for iOS devices. It is very powerful and full featured, and if you place two sequential files in sequence on the timeline, they will merge without any loss. I've been using it for years. 4K footage can generate huge file sizes, and I like working with individual 4GB files versus one 20GB plus file.

Reactions: Hamad
Hi guys

i would appreciate any suggestions to fix this issue only via iPhone cause I don’t use laptop a lot. View attachment 122657View attachment 122658View attachment 122659View attachment 122660View attachment 122661
cool pics !
The advice above is good. On my iMac I just join the videos end to end and the edit. I use iMove and 4K.

Reactions: Hamad
LumaFusion is a full video editing solution in an app for iOS devices. It is very powerful and full featured, and if you place two sequential files in sequence on the timeline, they will merge without any loss. I've been using it for years. 4K footage can generate huge file sizes, and I like working with individual 4GB files versus one 20GB plus file.
I’ll give it a try .. thank you.

Hi guys

Your tips and answers was so helpful to me .. today, I wanted to share this the first video with my Mavic air 2 in the same place of the photos .. i edited with LumaFusion without loosing quality, great app!

I hope you enjoy it and I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61