DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 ordered and arrives Friday. 2 quick questions...

• Thread starter Deleted member 137163
  • Start date
If you don't mind purchasing a used android phone, the Samsung Note 5 & the S6 Edge+ work well with the DJI Fly app. Both are 64bit with Android 7.

SabrToothSqrl, Can I ask what Smart Phone you use with your new MA2? I own a flip phone and will buy a Smart Phone to be dedicated for the drone. I am getting a headache trying to figure what works with the MA2. Anyone else who has a good suggestion on Android phones I would appreciate it. I do not want to spend $200 plus for this use.
Amazon refresh Iphone 8 at like 150 is the most popular in sales according to a recent article.

I got my Air 2 yesterday. Why is everyone buying landing pads? I've taken off/landed from my driveway, parking lots, and my deck just fine... I'm sure the pad is better/softer, but this thing auto lands / takes off so smooth it's crazy :) I'm not anti-pad, just curious if I have to buy one now lol.

When in the "wild" there usually is no good take-off / landing area. Thus a landing pad helps keep dust / dirt etc away from the drone - as it will kick up a lot of it in both modes.

My FlyMore Kit from B&H came with a landing pad - I think. Been quite awhile or it may have come with my Mini - either way I have one and guess what - NEVER USED IT.

Many people simply launch and land using the hand catch method - which is fine most of the time. Just takes A LOT of practice.

Ok, I took the leap and ordered my Mavic Air 2 last evening and wow it will be to me this Friday! 2 more items I need: Landing pad and dedicated smartphone. Any input on a reasonably priced Smartphone (Best Buy is close and a possible quick pick up for me but I can ordered online.) I do not need the cheapest no name phone but it would be nice to keep it under $150. I would be curious thoughts on landing pads and sizes - I assume the 21 inch version is satisfactory but not sure. Darn, it isn't easy being brand new at something. Thanks to those who can assist and it is very much appreciated.

You'll hate using a phone with flying - esp if you don't have 20/20 vision. I flew for awhile with my phone and hated it. Many people get an iPad / Mini or there is an expensive Android tablet in the $450 range - that is supposed to be awesome.

I bought a Lenovo M10 FHD and the Skyreat aluminum fixture (no plastic ones) and it works for me. It does have some issues in very bright sunlight, but you'll have same with a phone or most any tablet. For $150, it does what I want / need. Some have gotten "hoods" for their tablets to help with the glare - which is a good idea, but just more "stuff" to deal with. Easier for "me" to find some shade or use my vehicle to see the screen better. Personal choice / budget dictates which way you go. If you go a tablet, also get a longer connector cable as well. Maybe $10.

Ok, I took the leap and ordered my Mavic Air 2 last evening and wow it will be to me this Friday! 2 more items I need: Landing pad and dedicated smartphone. Any input on a reasonably priced Smartphone (Best Buy is close and a possible quick pick up for me but I can ordered online.) I do not need the cheapest no name phone but it would be nice to keep it under $150. I would be curious thoughts on landing pads and sizes - I assume the 21 inch version is satisfactory but not sure. Darn, it isn't easy being brand new at something. Thanks to those who can assist and it is very much appreciated.
I suggest you find a used iPhone. I replaced the screen on my son's broken 6S+ for $30 and keep it around for the super rare occasion that I'm not using my iPad. The phone has no cellular service and the only non-factory app on it is the dji app. I've run android phones and tablets of various shapes, sizes, specs, and prices, and my preference with some time in the air is an iPad. It took me time to find the deal I wanted, but I'm in heaven now.

SabrToothSqrl, Can I ask what Smart Phone you use with your new MA2? I own a flip phone and will buy a Smart Phone to be dedicated for the drone. I am getting a headache trying to figure what works with the MA2. Anyone else who has a good suggestion on Android phones I would appreciate it. I do not want to spend $200 plus for this use.

I do like the cost and creative thinking. I guess, being a real estate broker, I went with the fancy blue circles with the H to look professional. I think the plywood is a) better cost and b) gets the job done especially in the desert.

The plywood is a good idea, except when you go hiking. The foldup vinyl landing pads are super small and lightweight - so they fit almost anywhere. A 24" circle of plywood or whatever size is not that portable. Great for home or close by.

Practice hand launching / catching as well. A lot of people do it this way. You do need to practice this beforehand as the drone will know you are underneath it and try to avoid the obstacle.

Thanks for the plaudits on my web site. Lots of travel and lots of work.

I've had better than 20/20 since I had lasic in 2005. iphone works for now, but maybe someday I'll get a bigger screen.

Just make sure any phone or tablet you get has a 64bit OS. The Fly app only runs on 64bit architecture.

We offer and landing pad for the Air 2 that is both a Carry Case and Landing pad and can be used for Hand Catching.
If its not about getting the Cheapest , the Lunar Landing pad is pretty clever.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 3.29.11 AM.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Just make sure any phone or tablet you get has a 64bit OS. The Fly app only runs on 64bit architecture.
Thanks MavicAir2Marc. I did purchase a Moto G7 Plus which is 64 Bit. The good thing is that B&H sells DJI product so I have a written chat transcript of them answering all my questions and assuring me that it will work with the MA2. Being a pilot I have had the fortune to maintain 20/20 however I will consider a tablet at some point I am sure. Does the newer MA2 controller have an adapter available to accommodate a tablet?

We offer and landing pad for the Air 2 that is both a Carry Case and Landing pad and can be used for Hand Catching.
If its not about getting the Cheapest , the Lunar Landing pad is pretty clever.

View attachment 125952

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.
Pretty cool!! Just like manned aircraft there is always something cool to buy. You typically never justify airplanes based on price or cost. If you need to pinch pennies then you rent. You should never skimp either.

Save your money and just use the floor mat from your vehicle you drive
I think that is a great answer and creative. Showing up an expensive home as a real estate broker and tossing the floor mat out may be tacky. They may also laugh and think you are smart.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think that is a great answer and creative. Showing up an expensive home as a real estate broker and tossing the floor mat out may be tacky. They may also laugh and think you are smart.
We could not agree more , one of the reasons why we made the Lunar Pad was to look as professional and Safe as possible. We found that Hand Catching although easy made clients very uneasy.

So now we just lift the Landing Pad up with the Strap on the back and let it gently land on the Pad.

This way any children ,dogs even cats are not in jeopardy and you look fully in Control its better than stepping on a bed of flowers or mud or tripping to get your drone. Clients are fascinated by drones so many times they are standing right there next to you. You want to make it look easy and safe . They will never enjoy the circus dance to try to land your drone in your hand and may not invite you back. ..

Here is a video of how this works

Thanks MavicAir2Marc. I did purchase a Moto G7 Plus which is 64 Bit. The good thing is that B&H sells DJI product so I have a written chat transcript of them answering all my questions and assuring me that it will work with the MA2. Being a pilot I have had the fortune to maintain 20/20 however I will consider a tablet at some point I am sure. Does the newer MA2 controller have an adapter available to accommodate a tablet?
Tablets still require an adapter (although some people have mentioned an iPad Mini 5 will fit with a bit of wrestling). Tablet adapters run the gamut from simple DIY with Home Depot hooks to aircraft grade aluminum structures with all kinds of adjustments. Like most accessories, it all comes down to what you want to pay for...

I will work with the smart phone initially but look into a small tablets down the road. I am just pleased to be finally starting. I have spent the equivalent of almost 1 year off the ground flying. Have never owned an aircraft but instead got paid to do so. An MA2 is a reasonable way to own aircraft:)

I like the idea of your auto floor mat. Back when I was first learning, I bought a landing pad but I’ve never used it! At first, I took off and landed on the asphalt driveway but quickly learned to hand takeoff and land. Just be careful! Best wishes!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM