DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 position strobes

chinois

Reactions
New Mavic air 2. I have noticed there are flashing coloured strobe lights integral to each leg. Are these lights bright enough to spot at max VLOS?

I personally wouldn't rely on them. Something I've noticed though is that the colors are wrong. Two red in front and two green in back. Normally you would have the two red on the left side and the two green on the right side. Airplane and helicopter pilots would then know what direction it was flying .. Red on the right means the UAV is flying toward you. As it sits now if you see two red then it would be flying toward you and if you saw red/green it would be flying right to left. Doesn't fit with the normal flight lighting. I would still use a proper white strobe however on the top/bottom if flying in conditions that warrant it. I have two white ones that use on my MA that work well.

Remember, back leds are status lights and will blink different colors and different patterns to indicate things like fly mode (GPS, Sport, etc) controller status, battery status, etc. So while traditionally, colors might indicate sides, for DJI, the fronts are red, and the backs are the status lights and can be different colors.

I’m mostly interested in the bottom LED landing light. I wonder if you can set it to be on all the time to aid visual acquisition.

I’m mostly interested in the bottom LED landing light. I wonder if you can set it to be on all the time to aid visual acquisition.

Yes, the landing light can be set to on or off during flight. By default, the programmable remote button is actually the light on/off switch. That said, if you really want help seeing it, it might be better to invest in some of the super bright strobes as mentioned.

Yes, the landing light can be set to on or off during flight. By default, the programmable remote button is actually the light on/off switch. That said, if you really want help seeing it, it might be better to invest in some of the super bright strobes as mentioned.

Have we seen anyone test out it’s brightness?

I didn't see anyone test out the brightness of the Air 2. I'm guessing they are similar to the Pro 2 -- in which case they are pretty bright. When straight above you, they'll light up the ground really well and make the drone easy to see.

The problem isn't as much as the brightness -- it's more the position on the belly. If the drone is flying towards you with the nose down as they tend to do, the lights aren't worth that much, if anything. If flying away or above, and it's dusk or dark, you should be able to see it for a while.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada