DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 "RC signal interference"

You guys are more helpful than DJI! I've learned a lot on these threads/discussions. Its unfortunate for me that this all happened while up top a river because i could have easily retrieved the drone it was not far at all. It really hurt watching it slowly decend into that river and not being able to do anything about it. You live and you learn i guess. Thank you all!

Reactions: lee82gx and sar104
Well crap. I can see me making the same error and I'm really sorry for your loss. So if the drone detects it is in a NFZ without permissions and it happens to be in the air at the time, it will go into auto land mode and just drop from wherever it happens to be without regard to instructions from the pilot or what is below? What if you take off outside a NFZ and inadvertently enter a NFZ, will the drone attempt to fly out, will it refuse to enter the zone, or will it go into auto land?

Reactions: Dincena
Well crap. I can see me making the same error and I'm really sorry for your loss. So if the drone detects it is in a NFZ without permissions and it happens to be in the air at the time, it will go into auto land mode and just drop from wherever it happens to be without regard to instructions from the pilot or what is below? What if you take off outside a NFZ and inadvertently enter a NFZ, will the drone attempt to fly out, will it refuse to enter the zone, or will it go into auto land?
In my experience, assuming that you have good GPS lock, it won’t allow you to fly into a NFZ; it didn’t land, just wouldn’t fly in. (This was when I was flying near a football stadium)

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
... So if the drone detects it is in a NFZ without permissions and it happens to be in the air at the time, it will go into auto land mode and just drop from wherever it happens to be without regard to instructions from the pilot or what is below? ....

From the flight log the drone did respond to the control of the pilot except for the throttle input throughout the autolanding process. If it was a M2, the pilot should have been able to stop the descent by applying a lot of up throttle. I am not sure why the design of MA2 is changed in this regard.

Anyway, autolanding started at an altitude of 56m and the rate of decent was 0.6 m/s, the OP had about 84 seconds to fly the drone back to the river bank before the altitude dropped to 5m. As the drone was just about 200m out, this should be doable. Unfortnately the OP didn't realize what was happening and was therefore unable to react properly.

Thanks. May I know how an ordinary people like me can see those data fields ? CsvView seems to be not yet updated to accept MA2 flight logs.
If you want to use CsvView for MA2 logs right now before @BudWalker make necessary adjustments you need to manually go to the installation folder for CsvView & in the sub-folder "executables" start the TXTlogToCSVtoolMM.exe ... point it to the .TXT log & hit "GO" for a conversion to .CSV. That .CSV you then can open in CsvView, some signals seems to be missing, IMUCalcs for instance, but most of them are there.

All in the pic below with the log from this thread ...

1590515161684.png

Thanks. May I know how an ordinary people like me can see those data fields ? CsvView seems to be not yet updated to accept MA2 flight logs.

CsvView uses TXTlogToCSVtool to convert the files first, and the MA2 files need the Mavic Mini version of the tool - I'm guessing that CsvView doesn't know that yet.

Reactions: BudWalker
A sad story, but timely. Earlier there was a post about people not reading the manual or doing any research before attempting to fly their drone, the thread ended with one of the members writing. .’And your point is?’…..Well, the point is exactly this, a very expensive mistake, caused by basically not reading any manual, and not understanding how or why a drone works. These things..and operating them, particularly in a urban or semi urban environment, is an increasingly complex operation. It is important that people who wish to fly a drone educate themselves and understand the basics. It is also a demonstration why some sort of certification is necessary. I’m sorry for the OP, and hope he is able to recover his drone and have another opportunity to fly in the future.

Good googly-moogly! ?

This was a great informative thread. I feel like I just went to Drone school!

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for the lesson. I now know to NEVER fly away from me until I hear that sweet woman’s voice tell me my “home position is now set.” and ensure I have at least 17 satellites. (I’m in Los Angeles)

Good googly-moogly! ?

This was a great informative thread. I feel like I just went to Drone school!

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for the lesson. I now know to NEVER fly away from me until I hear that sweet woman’s voice tell me my “home position is now set.” and ensure I have at least 17 satellites. (I’m in Los Angeles)
She does have a sweet voice, i miss it! Hoping to hear it again soon and never take her for granted again. Glad I could be of some help ?

A sad story, but timely. Earlier there was a post about people not reading the manual or doing any research before attempting to fly their drone, the thread ended with one of the members writing. .’And your point is?’…..Well, the point is exactly this, a very expensive mistake, caused by basically not reading any manual, and not understanding how or why a drone works. These things..and operating them, particularly in a urban or semi urban environment, is an increasingly complex operation. It is important that people who wish to fly a drone educate themselves and understand the basics. It is also a demonstration why some sort of certification is necessary. I’m sorry for the OP, and hope he is able to recover his drone and have another opportunity to fly in the future.

Agreed. When I first stared flying my Mavic air I did make a few mistakes, but I was in my backyard. It took me weeks of flying to even attempt to take it over any distance or over water. Reading the manual cover to cover is not an option, if you want to fly as correctly as you can. I feel for the op, loosing a new drone is like a punch to the guy. Hopefully many newbies read this thread and learn from it.

She does have a sweet voice, i miss it! Hoping to hear it again soon and never take her for granted again. Glad I could be of some help ?
I've been there, paid my expensive dues also. I even read the **** manual before I crashed mine...:rolleyes::rolleyes: (but guess what there were some warnings I didn't heed). For example when at night the vision / obstacle sensing does not work. Sure, of course not, why would it, and then bam, what I hit a tree? Good lord!

If you want to use CsvView for MA2 logs right now before @BudWalker make necessary adjustments you need to manually go to the installation folder for CsvView & in the sub-folder "executables" start the TXTlogToCSVtoolMM.exe ... point it to the .TXT log & hit "GO" for a conversion to .CSV. That .CSV you then can open in CsvView, some signals seems to be missing, IMUCalcs for instance, but most of them are there.

All in the pic below with the log from this thread ...

View attachment 102579
CsvView 3.7.6 is available. It uses the correct TXTlogToCSVtoolMM.exe for converting .txt log files created by the MA2.
CsvView Downloads

From the flight log the drone did respond to the control of the pilot except for the throttle input throughout the autolanding process. If it was a M2, the pilot should have been able to stop the descent by applying a lot of up throttle. I am not sure why the design of MA2 is changed in this regard.

Anyway, autolanding started at an altitude of 56m and the rate of decent was 0.6 m/s, the OP had about 84 seconds to fly the drone back to the river bank before the altitude dropped to 5m. As the drone was just about 200m out, this should be doable. Unfortnately the OP didn't realize what was happening and was therefore unable to react properly.

The MA2 can stop a low battery auto-land with up throttle, but it seems and confirmed by SAR104 that can't for an NFZ auto-land. That's different then the M2? It can override a NFZ/airport auto-land?

The MA2 can stop a low battery auto-land with up throttle, but it seems and confirmed by SAR104 that can't for an NFZ auto-land. That's different then the M2? It can override a NFZ/airport auto-land?

No - you cannot override a geofence autoland on the M2 either.

Reactions: boblui and z28lt1
Hey All! Results came in from the data analysis crew over at DJI.
According to the analysis, the incident was caused by an improper flight environment.
Being as that i could not recover the drone it is not covered under DJI and they will not replace it.
They did however offer me a 15% discount on a new MA2

I know they are mostly experienced pilots on here,
don't bash me just trying to help some newbies to the drone world such as myself who could learn from my mistake

The results are as follows:

1. The aircraft worked in ATTI or OPTI mode due to weak gps signal after it took off; Flight Time T=00:36, it switched to GPS mode;
2. Flight Time T=2:11, Relative Height H=56.8 m, Distance to home point D=205 m, the landing was triggered due to the Authorization zone;
3. Flight Time T=3:07, Relative Height H=-5.5 m, Distance to home point D=260.9 m, the aircraft was landing and the flight record ended;
4. The last recorded coordinate: 40.7812795 -73.9246714; The home point: 40.7813227 -73.9215730.

Reactions: Pietros and lee82gx
Hey All! Results came in from the data analysis crew over at DJI.
According to the analysis, the incident was caused by an improper flight environment.
Being as that i could not recover the drone it is not covered under DJI and they will not replace it.
They did however offer me a 15% discount on a new MA2

I know they are mostly experienced pilots on here,
don't bash me just trying to help some newbies to the drone world such as myself who could learn from my mistake

The results are as follows:

1. The aircraft worked in ATTI or OPTI mode due to weak gps signal after it took off; Flight Time T=00:36, it switched to GPS mode;
2. Flight Time T=2:11, Relative Height H=56.8 m, Distance to home point D=205 m, the landing was triggered due to the Authorization zone;
3. Flight Time T=3:07, Relative Height H=-5.5 m, Distance to home point D=260.9 m, the aircraft was landing and the flight record ended;
4. The last recorded coordinate: 40.7812795 -73.9246714; The home point: 40.7813227 -73.9215730.

No surprises there, unfortunately - that is exactly what the log showed.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I am sorry but what was exactly your mistakes?
Can someone just say in a few words what he did so we can learn from his mistake!
Sorry for your loss !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02