DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Unresponsive to Side-to-Side Controls

Firebee

Reactions
Hi!

I'm a relative novice pilot (had my Mavic Air 2 for a couple of years, but only fly it a few times each year).

Today I reacquainted myself with the procedures and controls and updated the firmware. I was disappointed to discover that the side-to-side (right control stick left and right in Mode 2) control inputs had no effect during flight. Up/down, pan, and forward/backward controls all worked fine.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause (besides controller/drone hardware malfunction) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi!

I'm a relative novice pilot (had my Mavic Air 2 for a couple of years, but only fly it a few times each year).

Today I reacquainted myself with the procedures and controls and updated the firmware. I was disappointed to discover that the side-to-side (right control stick left and right in Mode 2) control inputs had no effect during flight. Up/down, pan, and forward/backward controls all worked fine.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause (besides controller/drone hardware malfunction) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
click on the 3 little dots on top right of your screen.
Go to Safety. There you will see under obstacle avoidance a switch that says disable sideways flight.
Turn that off and you should be good to go.
085303jbrthcbtj9thrble.jpg

Thanks very much, Dusty. My DJI Fly app doesn’t present an option to disable sideways control. I’m guessing that my 2nd generation iPad mini is incapable of installing recent DJI app updates (e.g. I know it can’t update to the most recent version of Safari). Perhaps the firmware update isn’t compatible with my iPad’s superseded version of DJI Fly and defaults to disabling sideways control.

I’ve asked Santa for a new iPad mini. Hopefully I’ve been good (enough) this year.

Thanks very much, Dusty. My DJI Fly app doesn’t present an option to disable sideways control. I’m guessing that my 2nd generation iPad mini is incapable of installing recent DJI app updates (e.g. I know it can’t update to the most recent version of Safari). Perhaps the firmware update isn’t compatible with my iPad’s superseded version of DJI Fly and defaults to disabling sideways control.

I’ve asked Santa for a new iPad mini. Hopefully I’ve been good (enough) this year.
There was an old posting here that basically said that if you don't see disable sideways flight listed in the app, it could be that you have "subject scanning" turned on. That would be under the Control tab. I don't know how accurate that is, but something you might check,
But, with the 2nd gen iPad mini, I wouldn't think it's compatible with the DJI Fly app anyway . An iPad mini 5 or 6 would be the better choice. Do you have a newer phone you could use instead?

Last edited:
Mini5 would be the one to find. Seem to remember the 6 has some issues with some of the DJI products. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Capt KO
Mini5 would be the one to find. Seem to remember the 6 has some issues with some of the DJI products. I could be wrong.
You are correct, and the mini 5 (with lightning connector) is a deal these days. My mini 4 works with GO4 but it can't handle FLY.. CPU overload and loss of control.
Conclusion: @Firebee you need to upgrade tablet or phone to handle FLY, it's a cpu power hog, especially after updates. GL
Ps: many new phones work with FLY too.

Reactions: MA2 317
Hi!

Thanks!
There is a little green icon on the left hand side of the opening Go Fly screen of your phone when your hooked up to your MA2. If that is showing it means the sideways stick movement is disabled. Just tap it, it’ll disappear and you’ll be good to go. I think I have that right but see if any other Members chip in with advice. Good luck.

I was flying my air2s yesterday and I suddenly had that problem. Took off, hovered for a short time, went through the … up, down, turn here, turn there etc but it wouldn’t go sideways. Found out it would go sideways in CINE and sport mode but not normal.
After going back and forth sideways a few times in sport, I then switched back to normal and it worked. No idea what happened but the problem went away. I am going to check on that suggestion of “ disable sideways “ option. I’ve not seen that before

Reactions: DougMcC
I got mine out the other day for the first time in a few months. In the Cine mode, I had the same thing happen; no left/right control. I switched to Normal and it worked. Then back to Cine and then it worked. I'm going to check the other answers above to see if I inadvertently changed a setting, but it was a bit of a surprise to me.

Yes , my air2s does the same thing. On cine, sideways movement not working so, changing to either normal or sports mode it works then go back to cine and it’s working. I am guessing the sideways movement has been turned off but going to the sports or normal mode seems to correct it. I have gotten into the habit of going through the motions while it’s hovering at start up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne