DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Urban Range

NaweG

Reactions
Had a successful first flight this evening, but it was a bit more hair raising than I'd expected (and my hair is pretty short). Made sure I had plenty of satellites showing, and had done a compass calibration. Set my home point and took off to about 100 feet. No problem. Went up another 50 feet, everything is looking good. So I start flying away from the house and enjoying the rock solid video - particularly compared to my old Spark. I get to about a quarter mile and it says that I'm getting a weak signal, and to orient the antennas. My understanding is that the clamp that holds the phone (or in my case the insert for my iPad tablet holder) is the antenna - so I do my best to ensure that it's pointed as directly at the Air 2 as I can. Continue flying, and just as I hit the half mile mark, it tells me that it has lost contact with the Air 2.

After about a minute it does the appropriate thing and starts RTH, and I pick up signal again about 30 seconds after that. I go ahead and let it do a full RTH routine because I'm a bit concerned about how shaky my hands might be after all this.

Air 2, and it's battery, are both on the latest firmware. iOS app is the most current according to the app store. Flying with an iPad Mini latest edition (5, right?).

Is the tablet being put up above the controller possibly interfering with the signal? This is a WiFi only version and I am using the appropriate USB-C to lightning cable. Or are urban settings just that full of noise that even the OC3 improvements can't overcome the setting? I don't plan to do much flying near the house, but I had expected a bit more range (was hoping to get to the local park and do a quick circle first).

Suggestions and tips for a smoother signal experience greatly appreciated!

Try putting your phone in to airplane mode and turn off air sense (ads-b) and try again. But, in urban areas at only 150ft elevation, you won't get much range.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Had a successful first flight this evening, but it was a bit more hair raising than I'd expected (and my hair is pretty short). Made sure I had plenty of satellites showing, and had done a compass calibration. Set my home point and took off to about 100 feet. No problem. Went up another 50 feet, everything is looking good. So I start flying away from the house and enjoying the rock solid video - particularly compared to my old Spark. I get to about a quarter mile and it says that I'm getting a weak signal, and to orient the antennas. My understanding is that the clamp that holds the phone (or in my case the insert for my iPad tablet holder) is the antenna - so I do my best to ensure that it's pointed as directly at the Air 2 as I can. Continue flying, and just as I hit the half mile mark, it tells me that it has lost contact with the Air 2.

After about a minute it does the appropriate thing and starts RTH, and I pick up signal again about 30 seconds after that. I go ahead and let it do a full RTH routine because I'm a bit concerned about how shaky my hands might be after all this.

Air 2, and it's battery, are both on the latest firmware. iOS app is the most current according to the app store. Flying with an iPad Mini latest edition (5, right?).

Is the tablet being put up above the controller possibly interfering with the signal? This is a WiFi only version and I am using the appropriate USB-C to lightning cable. Or are urban settings just that full of noise that even the OC3 improvements can't overcome the setting? I don't plan to do much flying near the house, but I had expected a bit more range (was hoping to get to the local park and do a quick circle first).

Suggestions and tips for a smoother signal experience greatly appreciated!
I have just mine back to DJI as i was not getting anywhere near the range I would have expected from the drone.ie clear LOS over water about 3500' then no signal...the online support told me to send it back...i should have an answer in the next week or so so i will let you know what they said

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Try putting your phone in to airplane mode and turn off air sense (ads-b) and try again. But, in urban areas at only 150ft elevation, you won't get much range.

So again, tablet not phone. WiFi was on, but not 4G since it doesn't have 4G. Could it's WiFi still be interfering?

Would taking it up higher have helped? I thought that the extra distance might be an issue, but I can sort of see how that might make the angle better.

So again, tablet not phone. WiFi was on, but not 4G since it doesn't have 4G. Could it's WiFi still be interfering?

Would taking it up higher have helped? I thought that the extra distance might be an issue, but I can sort of see how that might make the angle better.
Yes, wifi frequency operates in the same frequency range as Ocusync (2.4 and 5.8Ghz).
If you raise altitude, you will do a couple things: 1) go above existing RF interference on the ground level, and 2) think of a right-angle triangle between you, the drone, and the ground. The higher your drone is, the better your controller RF can reach to the drone because the signal isn't being blocked by inanimate ground objects (trees, buildings, whatever).

next time you get a weak signal stop and turn the drone around to face back towards your home, if you cannot see your home in the camera view then the straight line of signal has been broken, hence why you are getting the weak signal warning and RTH. the further you fly away the higher you need to go to maintain the uninterupted signal

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
There is a icon centre of your screen at the bottom
This shows you where the drone is in relation to which way your controller is facing.
Have a look at it

next time you get a weak signal stop and turn the drone around to face back towards your home, ...
You can do the same without turning the drone. Push the back button and is the same. Am i right or wrong?

Reactions: aokusman
I have just mine back to DJI as i was not getting anywhere near the range I would have expected from the drone.ie clear LOS over water about 3500' then no signal...the online support told me to send it back...i should have an answer in the next week or so so i will let you know what they said
The Results are here.....

Remark
the Aircraft Core Board Module was damaged,which caused distance of image transmission is short;SN may change. Test will be performed after repair.

Item List
Aircraft Core Board Module

Quantity: 1
Unit Price : 384.00
Amount : 384.00

Repair Service Fee
Unit Price : 60.00
Amount : 60.00

Shipping and handling Services

Total Amount

Discount

Total Payment (AUD)

GST Included in Total Payment (10%)

Thank you for posting the results/answer from DJI! Interesting. Wonder how many suffer from this and don’t send it in or if this is more of a rare case?

Reactions: 1bad
The Results are here.....

Remark
the Aircraft Core Board Module was damaged,which caused distance of image transmission is short;SN may change. Test will be performed after repair.

Item List
Aircraft Core Board Module

Unit Price : 384.00
Amount : 384.00

Repair Service Fee
Unit Price : 60.00
Amount : 60.00

Shipping and handling Services

Total Amount

Discount

Total Payment (AUD)

GST Included in Total Payment (10%)

May I ask why they didn't warranty a brand new drone?

I might look into sending mine in. My max is 4644ft over a body of water with line of sight in an area that is pretty remote. My urban range is roughly 1600-2000ft. I just watched a youtube video of a guy taking his nearly 10000ft in an urban environment.

I might look into sending mine in. My max is 4644ft over a body of water with line of sight in an area that is pretty remote. My urban range is roughly 1600-2000ft. I just watched a youtube video of a guy taking his nearly 10000ft in an urban environment.
i did a screen record and put it on toutube then went to online support. sent them the link and they said send it in
good luck

This was the result of the repair for my MA2...Im happy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569