DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 vs 2 Pro for photography

I'm sorry but I think this is a very poorly done video which is very wrong, I can't believe you're giving advice on drone photography when you demonstrate such little knowledge on the subject. Comparing both drones in jpeg only mode completely cripples the Mavic 2 Pro and the awful panoramas you show in the video to criticise the Mavic 2 Pro could have been fixed in a couple of minutes in Lightroom to look far better than anything the Mavic Air 2 could produce.

No wonder so many people are critical of the Mavic 2 Pro's stills capability when there's misinformation like this out there. I feel I'm letting the M2P down as I'm fed up of these misleading MA2 vs M2P topics but then on the other hand I'd expect most photographers are well aware of the advantages a 1in sensor offers over a 1/2in sensor.

I'm sorry but I think this is a very poorly done video which is very wrong, I can't believe you're giving advice on drone photography when you demonstrate such little knowledge on the subject. Comparing both drones in jpeg only mode completely cripples the Mavic 2 Pro and the awful panoramas you show in the video to criticise the Mavic 2 Pro could have been fixed in a couple of minutes in Lightroom to look far better than anything the Mavic Air 2 could produce.

No wonder so many people are critical of the Mavic 2 Pro's stills capability when there's misinformation like this out there. I feel I'm letting the M2P down as I'm fed up of these misleading MA2 vs M2P topics but then on the other hand I'd expect most photographers are well aware of the advantages a 1in sensor offers over a 1/2in sensor.
Hold your tongue! @vicvideopic has forgotten more about photography and videography then you’ll ever know in your whole life. Do you even know who you were criticizing ?? You sir win the prize for the dumbest comment on MavicPilots this month. You just get your panties in a bunch anytime you think somebody is saying anything negative about your M2P which isn’t even what happened in the video so I’m figuring you didn’t watch the video.

@vicvideopic don’t listen to this hack wanna be. Your panos are brilliant and your expertise is always welcome and we thank you for sharing your insights. You are one of the few people on here worth listening to.

Hold your tongue! @vicvideopic has forgotten more about photography and videography then you’ll ever know in your whole life. Do you even know who you were criticizing ?? You sir win the prize for the dumbest comment on MavicPilots this month. You just get your panties in a bunch anytime you think somebody is saying anything negative about your M2P which isn’t even what happened in the video so I’m figuring you didn’t watch the video.

@vicvideopic don’t listen to this hack wanna be. Your panos are brilliant and your expertise is always welcome and we thank you for sharing your insights. You are one of the few people on here worth listening to.
Many thanks Brett,
I really appreciate

Reactions: brett8883
The video was like comparing a GoPro with a full frame DSLR and the reviewer only shot 8-bit jpgs ignoring the vastly superior RAW format.

Reactions: Thaijade
The video was like comparing a GoPro with a full frame DSLR and the reviewer only shot 8-bit jpgs ignoring the vastly superior RAW format.

That is because the Panorama feature outputs in JPG format - not RAW.

Pay attention.

Ha ha! Thank you for proving my point. That's why professionals shoot panoramas manually in RAW. Higher quality at a higher resolution. For amateur photographers I'm sure the app is good enough for them and wouldn't need the Mavic 2.

That is because the Panorama feature outputs in JPG format - not RAW.

Pay attention.

Ha ha! Thank you for proving my point. That's why professionals shoot panoramas manually in RAW.
He’s comparing the auto panorama modes of the two drones.
the reviewer only shot 8-bit jpgs ignoring the vastly superior RAW format.
He compares the DNGs of both cameras in Lightroom.
317F8F21-3505-4199-9FC4-3F96DA6B7792.jpeg
6B7E3388-EB2B-4EF7-9EFF-986793B72656.jpeg

The video was like comparing a GoPro with a full frame DSLR
No it’s like comparing a newer 1/2” quad bayer sensor camera to an older 1” sensor...

The evolution of technology has enabled smaller sensors to make up ground on older larger sensors especially in the dynamic range category due to the unique features of the quad bayer sensor. However, if you watched the whole video it’s clear that the larger 1” sensor of the M2P is still well ahead of the MA2 in terms of low light performance.
Higher quality at a higher resolution
The MA2 takes higher resolution photos, 8000×6000 pixel compared to 5472×3648 For the MP2.
75A18149-E4BB-4584-8AD4-B5C1A9B39453.jpeg66E9073E-E3AE-4C68-AE66-E84E9E0ECC38.jpegThe MA2 sensor legitimately has 48 million pixels compared to the 20 million pixels of the M2P. The difference is that to get the full dynamic range of the quad bayer sensor you can only shoot in 12 MP mode.

My main take away from @vicvideopic ‘s video is that great strides in technology have enabled a much smaller sensor to get almost as good photos in full light but the 1” sensor on the M2P is still better and still crushes the MA2 in low light. After watching his video I think the MA2 is a great product at its price point but I’d still want a MP2 and I can’t understand how anyone who watched the video would come to the conclusion that he is saying the MA2 is better than the M2P. That’s not what he said.

Reactions: vicvideopic
He’s comparing the auto panorama modes of the two drones.

He compares the DNGs of both cameras in Lightroom.
View attachment 109157
View attachment 109156

No it’s like comparing a newer 1/2” quad bayer sensor camera to an older 1” sensor...

The evolution of technology has enabled smaller sensors to make up ground on older larger sensors especially in the dynamic range category due to the unique features of the quad bayer sensor. However, if you watched the whole video it’s clear that the larger 1” sensor of the M2P is still well ahead of the MA2 in terms of low light performance.

The MA2 takes higher resolution photos, 8000×6000 pixel compared to 5472×3648 For the MP2.
View attachment 109159View attachment 109160The MA2 sensor legitimately has 48 million pixels compared to the 20 million pixels of the M2P. The difference is that to get the full dynamic range of the quad bayer sensor you can only shoot in 12 MP mode.

My main take away from @vicvideopic ‘s video is that great strides in technology have enabled a much smaller sensor to get almost as good photos in full light but the 1” sensor on the M2P is still better and still crushes the MA2 in low light. After watching his video I think the MA2 is a great product at its price point but I’d still want a MP2 and I can’t understand how anyone who watched the video would come to the conclusion that he is saying the MA2 is better than the M2P. That’s not what he said.
Thank you Brett,
your point here is exactly what I was trying to say.
But you phrased it much better than me

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman