DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 vs Mavic 2 Pro

Having a hard time determining whether to purchase the Mavic Air 2 vs Mavic 2 Pro! Obstacle avoidance is of course a huge concern but this would be the first drone I have ever owned so is it really worth spending more for the Mavic 2 Pro?
Hi there & welcome to the forum ?:D

The reason to spend more & go for the M2P is purely due to the better camera (even though it's other minor considerations) ... especially if you're in to taking low light footage. The bigger sensor on the M2P will easily outperform the MA2 when it comes to cleaner pics with less noise.

Your "huge concern" regarding OD isn't well founded ... the performance from both regarding this is really very similar. The M2P side sensors are only active in some automated flight modes, otherwise they are off. The OD sensors are really only a extra security that "might" save you from some mishaps ... generally they shouldn't be considered to be failsafe, they will not spot everything so you anyway need to use common sense, be observant when you fly & act as you haven't any OD sensors at all... you can't trust that they always will save you.

Hi sicksix Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
This may or may-not help you decide, plenty other comparisons on YouTube though.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Mavic 2 manual HERE
Download Air 2 manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

As you are new it may not be a consideration for you but the control apps differ.
I have a Fly app controlled drone, the Mavic Mini, the MA2 uses the Fly app. I also have a Go4 App controlled drone, an M2P (bought second hand).
I MUCH prefer the Go4 app, primarily for the "type in distance etc. limits" rather than slide button, I also prefer to have flight logs available to me and again the Go4 app etc. 'wins' in this respect.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Are you into taking videos and pictures? Is it very important to you?

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Having a hard time determining whether to purchase the Mavic Air 2 vs Mavic 2 Pro! Obstacle avoidance is of course a huge concern but this would be the first drone I have ever owned so is it really worth spending more for the Mavic 2 Pro?
Just tossing this out there but you could split the difference. The M2Zoom. It gives you the feature set of the M2P, the Go4 App, full third party support and a array of accessories and right in the middle of cost. It also has a "Better" lossless zoom capability having some optical zoom vice just digital only. It is tried and tested in firmware like it's older brother the M2P. To each their own, but figured you were at two ends and there is a middle ;)

@sicksix first off welcome to the forum,as has been mentioned the two drones use different APPs for a start,and the new FLY APP is still being developed and different modes being added and improved and this will go on for some time
the GO4 APP that the M2P uses has been out for a long time and is not going to have many updates any more,it is in some areas easier to use and many of us ,me included ,find that we prefer the GO4 display over the FLY APP display as far as the drones are concerned ,they are very similar in flight characteristics, and unless you are a professional photographer ,then the image quality of the MA2 is more than up to the job, as a recreational flier
as far as the obstacle avoidance is concerned ,it is not foolproof and you should not just expect it to save the drone in all instances

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

read above... I have the M2P among others... recommend it. Also note old man mavic’s post... The Go4 app is mature and so contributes to ease of operation. Mine works with my CS or SC controllers (stopped using a phone a long time ago and went for dedicated devices)

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

read above... I have the M2P among others... recommend it. Also note old man mavic’s post... The Fly app is mature and so contributes to ease of operation. Mine works with my CS or SC controllers (stopped using a phone a long time ago and went for dedicated devices)
@Thomas B did you mean the GO4 app is mature ,the fly app is new

Reactions: Thomas B
thanks Thomas

Hi there & welcome to the forum ?:D

The reason to spend more & go for the M2P is purely due to the better camera (even though it's other minor considerations) ... especially if you're in to taking low light footage. The bigger sensor on the M2P will easily outperform the MA2 when it comes to cleaner pics with less noise.

Your "huge concern" regarding OD isn't well founded ... the performance from both regarding this is really very similar. The M2P side sensors are only active in some automated flight modes, otherwise they are off. The OD sensors are really only a extra security that "might" save you from some mishaps ... generally they shouldn't be considered to be failsafe, they will not spot everything so you anyway need to use common sense, be observant when you fly & act as you haven't any OD sensors at all... you can't trust that they always will save you.
Yeah I would definitely pay more to get less noise.. Would be (removed by moderator) to get a good flight just to realize the possible noise!

Last edited by a moderator:
As you are new it may not be a consideration for you but the control apps differ.
I have a Fly app controlled drone, the Mavic Mini, the MA2 uses the Fly app. I also have a Go4 App controlled drone, an M2P (bought second hand).
I MUCH prefer the Go4 app, primarily for the "type in distance etc. limits" rather than slide button, I also prefer to have flight logs available to me and again the Go4 app etc. 'wins' in this respect.
I would rather have too much information than too little both from the logs and the video/photo quality!!

I purchased the M2P based on what I reviews/feedback I could find, as it has a rather nice camera for both photos and video. However... the primary reason for purchasing the drone in the first place was to help in assessing the damage to my forest property from the Beachie Creek wildfire, in early September. In other words, a lot of what I am doing is "mapping" flights, where I'm taking literally several hundred photos to have them re-assembled into an orthophoto mosaic.

In my situation, the M2P as performed satisfactorily, but I would purchase differently if I were to do it over. The M2P, as well as most of the other "consumer" level drones have what is called a "rolling shutter" If you take photos while either the subject or drone are moving, you can incur artifacts that make straight lines seem to bend, and other photographic distortions. For general photography and videos, this is no big deal. But for photogrammetric mapping, it can cause serious problems.

Were I to do this over, I would go with the Phantom 4 Pro v2, which has a camera about as capable as the M2P, but it has a mechanical shutter, which prevents the artifacts that appear with rolling shutters.

Anyway, before you buy, understand what you want to accomplish with the drone. If you are doing primarily video, I'd look at the M2Z; if just straight photos where relative motion is not an issue, the M2P; and if doing mapping or action photography, I'd look at the Phantom 4 Pro v2.

Just my $0.02 on this, YMMV.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll