DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 w/ sc or air 2s

I can get a mavic air 2 with smart controller in a bundle for $1399, that's $ 400 for a SC, sounds better than the $795 on Amazon although it does not come with original controller
I bought a SC for use with my Air 2S and could not be happier. Screen is brighter, no fooling with phone clips and flimsy cables. I think it’s a much better flight experience. I’ve heard the range of the SC is not as good as the included controller, but the range has been good enough for me. No regrets.

I bought a SC for use with my Air 2S and could not be happier. Screen is brighter, no fooling with phone clips and flimsy cables. I think it’s a much better flight experience. I’ve heard the range of the SC is not as good as the included controller, but the range has been good enough for me. No regrets.
It's funny I was just doing research on tablets for drones and brightness levels. The TRIPLTEK tablet is 1200nits and can be used with any drone. It's not limited to specific drones. The SC is 1000 nits and is limited to specific DJI models. If I were buying today, which I'm thinking about doing, I would definitely buy the Tripltek Tablet over the Smart Controller. Tripltek is 599.00 and the smart controller is over 700.00.

https://www.amazon.com/TRIPLTEK-Brightness-Processor-Construction-Brightest/dp/B08P2SG2NL

Reactions: Rubenc87
I won't be flying more than a mile in the mountains & 1/2 in the neighborhood, my question is the mavic air 2 with the sc or air 2s without sc for about the same price, I'm on a budget, I use the galaxy s8+ for a phone. Seems like the sc is a better choice for the money but need more input, thanks

I won't be flying more than a mile in the mountains & 1/2 in the neighborhood, my question is the mavic air 2 with the sc or air 2s without sc for about the same price, I'm on a budget, I use the galaxy s8+ for a phone. Seems like the sc is a better choice for the money but need more input, thanks
It would depend on what you are really interested in. Air 2S will take better pictures and video but the Mavic Air 2 is extremely capable as well..... it will suffer some in detail at low light but you probably fly in good light conditions almost all the time so it will not be very noticeable. I have owned both and have moved on to the Air 2S but most of the time its a toss up in imagery.

The Super Controller has been tested head to head with the regular controller in multiple videos on YouTube. It does limit range and transmission quality significantly. That is what kept me from buying it. Many folks are happy with the range it provides and I suspect in areas with less interference it would never be a problem. Its a nice bright screen but still washes out in bright conditions..... but so does my Tripltek and my Samsung S8.

Reactions: FuzzyDice
Don't buy the smart controller. I wouldn't. TRIPLTEK 1200nits android tablet w 4g LTE and Wifi is only 599.00 us dollars on Amazon. It is brighter, has a complete android OS and can be used on any drone, not just certain DJI drones. Just attach it with an adapter to the RC that comes with your drone. The SC has less range than the RC that comes with the drone. It's becoming obsolete anyway. Good luck with you decision.

Should I buy the mavic air 2 with smart controller or the air 2s without smart controller, both are about the same price in the bundle package, I'm on a budget & I just fly as a hobby but will take stills & video on a non- professional level, thanks
Having owned both I can tell you each has its advantages.

There’s no HDR option in the Air 2S, just HLG which requires processing on the photos and videos.

There’s no log choosing in the Air 2, there’s no 10 bit shooting at all in the Air 2.

The Air 2 lens is 24mm and has less distortion on the corners than the Air 2S 22mm lens.

Occusync 3 does actually improve the signal quality in high interference areas and will give you about 20 - 25% more range. The Air 2 is using the older Occusync 2 technology.

Now the biggest thing to consider is the fact the FPV tech is using Occusync 3, so the goggles and motion controllers are more likely to work with Air 2S, or at least work more smoothly In the future.

As odd as this might sound, I actually found the ND filter set in the Air 2 more useful in many situations where you wanted to be creative. The air 2S pack is more useful for every day use.

The air 2S has more of the collision detection sensors and more modes.

I returned the Air 2 because the range wasn’t what I wanted in my troublesome neighborhood With high interference. Having 10-bit log, 5.4K video, and higher resolution sensor were a bonus to me.

With that said, if you can afford the Air 2S fly more combo, I would skip the Air 2 and the smart controller as that is also using older technology.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Thank you for your knowledge on the platforms & accessories, now I'm off to do some research on the items mentioned, I would like something that will last & not be outdated soon, happy flying!!

It's funny I was just doing research on tablets for drones and brightness levels. The TRIPLTEK tablet is 1200nits and can be used with any drone. It's not limited to specific drones. The SC is 1000 nits and is limited to specific DJI models. If I were buying today, which I'm thinking about doing, I would definitely buy the Tripltek Tablet over the Smart Controller. Tripltek is 599.00 and the smart controller is over 700.00.

https://www.amazon.com/TRIPLTEK-Brightness-Processor-Construction-Brightest/dp/B08P2SG2NL

Looks like a good solution, but of course it has no antennas to connect to the drone. No ocusync. Aren't you needing other hardware to connect, so it's not an apples to oranges comparison. What am I missing here?

Looks like a good solution, but of course it has no antennas to connect to the drone. No ocusync. Aren't you needing other hardware to connect, so it's not an apples to oranges comparison. What am I missing here?
You need the standard RC for the drone. It's much less expensive. In total, with the standard RC (has a better range) attached to the TRIPLTEK tablet (has a higher brightness) the cost will be less or equal, and you will have better range, higher brightness, and a more advanced platform with the ability to fly any drone, not just drones compatible with the smart controller. Of course, it's up to you to decide which you prefer. I'm sure your going to do your research. Good luck.

You need the standard RC for the drone. It's much less expensive. In total, with the standard RC (has a better range) attached to the TRIPLTEK tablet (has a higher brightness) the cost will be less or equal, and you will have better range, higher brightness, and a more advanced platform with the ability to fly any drone, not just drones compatible with the smart controller. Of course, it's up to you to decide which you prefer. I'm sure your going to do your research. Good luck.
It's a good solution, but would not meet my needs. I wanted a one piece controller, no wires, no phone... turn it on and go, and the SC has met my expectations, but I can see the value of your suggestion that others might find compelling.

It's a good solution, but would not meet my needs. I wanted a one piece controller, no wires, no phone... turn it on and go, and the SC has met my expectations, but I can see the value of your suggestion that others might find compelling.
You just made the point many other drone operators have made. They love the SC. They like the one piece control system and are much happier with it, than what I described.

no fooling with phone clips and flimsy cables.
I have no experience with the long in the tooth SC but that chore above takes me a timed 15 seconds and the cables are stout. I would buy the Air 2 S and skip the SC. There will be something far better coming along. I instinctively know it ;)

I have no experience with the long in the tooth SC but that chore above takes me a timed 15 seconds and the cables are stout. I would buy the Air 2 S and skip the SC. There will be something far better coming along. I instinctively know it ;)
As you say, you have no experience with the SC. Those who have them, myself included, love them.

Tripltek rules!
It would be my choice, but those that own the SC seem to be happy. I wouldn't buy an SC. I would buy the Tripltek for sure, but thats me. I don't mind the cables considering what you get when you buy a Tripltek tablet.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear