DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Wind resistance question

NJFlyer

Reactions
I am trying to figure out how strong the wind (MPH) has to be before it affects hovering without me controlling it. Basically how fast does the wind need to be before it drifts while hovering, when I’m not controlling it.

I was told it has a max wind resistance of 22mph but it didn’t specify if it will drift while hovering.

Rememberer, too, it also depends on what mode you are in. I've found the drone harder to control with wind when I am in cine mode. Maybe that's obvious. But I had to learn the hard way. I almost had it blow away on me once until I switched it to sport and flew it back.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I am trying to figure out how strong the wind (MPH) has to be before it affects hovering without me controlling it. Basically how fast does the wind need to be before it drifts while hovering, when I’m not controlling it.

I was told it has a max wind resistance of 22mph but it didn’t specify if it will drift while hovering.
DJI's specs state:
Max Wind Resistance: 8.5-10.5 m/s (Level 5)
For a non-metric audience, that's 19-23.5 mph

But it's not that straightforward.
DJI never defined what they mean by wind resistance.
Presumably it meany the max wind speed wind for which the drone can hover and hold position.
Normally the max wind speed for holding position would be equal to the max speed in Normal Mode.
So why DJI give a range rather than a single number is puzzling, particularly when the speeds they quote for the Air 2 are:
Max Horizontal Flight Speed
19 m/s (S Mode)
12 m/s (N Mode)
5 m/s (T Mode)

Just to make it more complicated, the Air 2 has a trick up its sleeve and it can use up to Sport Mode speed in RTH if fighting against a headwind.
Does that also mean it can hold position in a wind up to 19 m/s (42.5 mph)?
You'd have to do the testing to answer that Q.
But launching in a 42 mph wind would be tricky and standing out in it to fly would not be pleasant.

DJI's specs state:

Presumably it meany the max wind speed wind for which the drone can hover and hold position.
Normally the max wind speed for holding position would be equal to the max speed in Normal Mode.
So why DJI give a range rather than a single number is puzzling, particularly when the speeds they quote for the Air 2 are:
19 m/s (S Mode)
12 m/s (N Mode)
5 m/s (T Mode)

Just to make it more complicated, the Air 2 has a trick up its sleeve and it can use up to Sport Mode speed in RTH if fighting against a headwind.
But launching in a 42 mph wind would be tricky and standing out in it to fly would not be pleasant.
Thanks for the analysis, something to keep in mind. ??

Had an interesting demonstration at Spin Down in Dillon CO last year. A blasting wind came through every now and then lasting for 10 minutes or so. One guy flew his Mavic 2 during one, but had to bail out when the wind went from blasting to super blasting. Fly? I thought I was brave standing there with a camera!

About 1:25 into the video.

DJI's specs state:

19 m/s (S Mode)
12 m/s (N Mode)
5 m/s (T Mode)

Add in air temp in the 30's / 40's (or lower) and that would be a NO on flying.

Spent too much time in North Dakota with low air temps and winds gto make it far worse.

Yet, many pilots just have to exceed the limits on everything imaginable - being human I guess. I love flying, but not to the point of losing the drone and then the need to go find it - in water, trees, or places where bushwhacking is required.

Reactions: Tentoes
flew in 20mph 33mph gusts MA2 still maxed out 42mph ground speed, but into the headwind. Due to laziness and vertical restrictions I took off from a patio maneuvered 50ft into vertical clearance 'vision sense off to: obtain left and right control' reset home 'in case of' and up, up and away, the reverse of this hopefully to pick up my drone 6Ft away from me. Winds were probable 5mph less at ground, no problem at all controlling drone in the air or on the manual trip, from reset home to my patio.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaro