DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic AIR gimbal jerks up on its own

FromPriusToJeep

Reactions
I've been having a problem with my Mavic Air since I got it about a month or so ago. Sometimes when I'm flying, I will fly with the gimbal pointing straight down because I like how it looks.

When flying with the gimbal down, sometimes it will jerk up about 20 degrees or so. After it does that, I will put it back facing down and continue on. I have no idea why this happens.

I'm attaching a video clip of it happening yesterday. The clip is 4.5MB, so I hope not too large.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if I need to open a support case with DJI about this. I sure hope not.

Attachments

• Clip of MA gimbal jerking up.mp4.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
If one of the motors has reached maximum RPM, then there is a loss of control.... In strong winds in sport mode, I have experienced this a couple times.... A certain amount of power differential from one motor to the next to the next to the next is needed for trimming against the wind.... add to that control and lift... eventually, one corner of the quad runs out of additional thrust....

just an idea to consider...

Are you using a filter? First set of filters I had for the air caused weird gimbal actions due to the weight.

The gimbal tilt issue has happened in multiple conditions, not just high wind. I don't (yet) have any filters. I have ordered a set from PolarPro but they won't be here until next week, most likely.

I've had this issue since buying the MA. It isn't consistent but only seems to happen when under manual control. I've used waypoint apps that control the gimbal and none of them have (so far) experienced the gimbal moving. on its own.

This also has only happened when the gimbal has been at full -90 degree tilt (aiming straight down).

Just a thought, but do you, by chance, have the custom button on your RC set to re-center the gimbal? If this is only happening under manual control, is it possible you're accidentally hitting the button?

Mine is set to re-center, and sometimes I hit that button by mistake.

I paid more attention to the issue today and noticed that it did happen in sport mode far more than P mode. It also happened in P mode if I was flying at speed and let go of the stick. So, maybe this is a speed issue after all.

So, here's a question. Is this an issue on other DJI drones? Is this just mine? Is this the Mavic Air and not the others? I really want this fixed.

I am probably going to file a problem report with DJI about this.

Is this a bird or the gimbal jerk issue? I wasn't able to see the drone from where I was standing, but it seems really weird and I can't tell if some bird hit it or the gimbal just spasmed. Never had this happen before. The link is attached. I have a Mavic Pro by the way.

I have the same issue with my mini. No filters on and does so in all three flight speeds.

This issue had occurred, and still is, on two different new mavic minis.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my mini. No filters and doors so in all three flight speeds.

This issue had occurred, and still is, on two different new mavic minis.

Might want to repost in the MM section: this forum is for the original Mavic Air.

Will do. It just seemed to be the same problem. I was hoping there might be a universal fix for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones