DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splats

Reactions
Hi all, so I'm aware this is my first post on the forum which, ultimately, reduces its value. However, I'm active on the Spark forum and I'm going to get a Mavic Air, so it's likely this will become my new home.

Let me start by stating my drone wish list (in order of importance) at the point of researching and purchasing my Spark:
  • 3 Axis Gimbal
  • Small from the point of view of portability and travel
  • Small from the point of view of not drawing attention to itself
  • Slow Mo Video
  • 1,000m range (I want to follow boat from shore with skier/boarder on back)
The Spark does a very commendable job and I love it. However, despite only owning it a month, I knew the second I saw the specs of the MA that I'd have to upgrade as it literally ticks all my boxes. Would I like Occusync, 40 minutes of flight time and a 1" sensor.....sure, but something has to give.

There's an argument that the Mavic air is incorrectly named (Spark Pro?) but it really doesn't deserve the hate it gets on here from MP and MPP owners. You need to understand, it's not designed to replace your drone but it is, nevertheless, a bit of a kick in the guts (trust me, as a Spark owner it kicks me harder). It basically does nearly everything the MP/MPP does in a much smaller and more portable form factor. Before posting negative comments be really honest with yourself, if you didn't already have an MP/MPP can you honestly not say the MA wouldn't be a real consideration? There's no shame in that and there's no need to focus on one aspect of the MA as a reason why it's crap and can't hold a candle to the MP/MPP.

If the Occusync and longer battery life of the MP/MPP really is the 'game changing' reason why you bought it over the small(ish) form factor then why didn't you get the P4 Pro? More speed, more stability, better camera, etc? For some, the MP/MPP will hit the sweet spot between features, battery life, range and portability - cool. However, others are willing to make some sacrifices for greater portability and others still are willing to make sacrifices in the other direction for the better camera of the P4 Pro. Nobody is wrong; no product is bad.

I own a Golf R and VW released a Golf GTI Clubsport S with the same power, less weight and FWD. It's not a crap product because it doesn't have the AWD (which I need in rainy Scotland) of my Golf R but, make no bones about it, on a dry track the GTI (so called lesser model) would lap faster and probably provide more thrills than my R. I don't feel threatened by it; I just accept that it's a nice product from VW aimed to suit a different set of needs.

That's what's going on with the MA vs MP/MPP. I seriously doubt DJI expected eBay to be flooded with MP/MPP's as everyone dashed to change to the MA. If I had an MP/MPP, - and with my healthy respect for money - I'd not take the hit to change to the MA. However, with a clean slate the MA does fit my needs better.

Anyway, hope that's not to ranty and I'd like to contribute positively and exchange knowledge and ideas going forward. Can MP/MPP owners please just enjoy their drones and wait patiently for the MPII which, ultimately, is designed to relinquish them of more money.

I thought they were only 21 minutes flight time

That's correct for the Mavic Air. And the max flight time for the Mavic Pro is 27 minutes (or 30 minutes for the Mavic Pro Platinum).

The MA is, which is plenty for me and more than my Spark. Not sure where that came from, did you mis-read my "40 minutes" (wish list) comment?

I'm amazed at the hate as well. I'd say 95% of the posts here are complaining about the Mavic Air. Everybody has their own reason for getting certain models. I want a super portable drone with good video and great obstacle avoidance and the range isn't very important. In that respect, the Mavic Air is one the very best options out there - if not the best. It's not supposed to replace the MP. It's a new model that suites a specific segment of the market.

Reactions: AAPhoto and Splats
I just own a Spark and I find the Air really disappointing, I can tell you one large reason as to why - Its louder than the Spark and the Mavic. I was expecting the same noise reducing tech from the MPP in the MA, how hard could have it possibly been to at least design the MA with low-noise props in mind?

Reactions: Mxs
I take all hate with a grain of salt. Hating something is a human reaction to try to justify to yourself why what you have is “better” when something that is competitive comes out. Personally I own a p3, p4, Mavic Pro, and ordered an air, I think it’s a great addition to my needs. While the mavic is really compact for traveling, there are certain times where i wish I had something even smaller to toss in my glove box to run locally and shoot something, but I hated the spark. It was joke in many ways. I do see the Occusync as a medium issue for me, I wish it had it, but since this guy won’t be doing long distance flights, it’s ok by me. When I am going to be shooting longer distances. Mavic. When I need high quality, p4. P3, sadly is now a shelf ornament. Mavic Air for the local fun shooting.

Reactions: Nikon1 and philh24
I just own a Spark and I find the Air really disappointing, I can tell you one large reason as to why - Its louder than the Spark and the Mavic. I was expecting the same noise reducing tech from the MPP in the MA, how hard could have it possibly been to at least design the MA with low-noise props in mind?

Yeah, that was a little disappointing to me too but it's not enough to change the fact the 2-axis gimbal on my Spark can often wreck footage if there's wind. Besides, I'm not buying a drone to sneak up on people so the noise isn't a big issue.

P.S. Not suggesting you're using a drone for stealth purposes btw :D

Last edited:
I think many folks were hoping for a Mavic Pro 2 with a 1" sensor 20 Mp camera, 4K at 60 fps and 360 degree obstacle avoidance. All the hype and speculation DJI fueled with their silly teaser video had current Mavic owners guessing all kinds of new features, even waterproofing, LOL. They got none of what they were expecting. Doesn't mean that they hate the Air. It's just not the product many were wanting.

I actually like the Mavic Air, but I'm not it's target audience.

I think some of the "hate" you hear around here is from people that hoped this announcement would be for the Mavic Pro 2, hopefully a drone with a bigger sensor. That's what I was hoping for too.

If I was buying my first drone today, I would be giving the MA a good look, and might even buy it over the MP...with higher hopes for the specs on the MP2.

As it stands, I'm happy with my MP. I'm not in need of a MA, but can certainly see that it's a compelling offering.

Reactions: Nikon1
The MA is, which is plenty for me and more than my Spark. Not sure where that came from, did you mis-read my "40 minutes" (wish list) comment?
Yes, I just flew through the post, looked at the words instead of reading them.
I have priors for the same offence.

Reactions: Brojon and Splats
I agree.

I see DJI teasing you with a number of improvements (100 MBS, rear sensors, etc) but not quite giving away the candy store. What the Mavic Air doesn't have is worth noting as much as what it does - from what I can see, it doesn't have D-Log, no Terrain Follow, no Course Lock, no Point of Interest...it does offer some new Quickshots - but I don't see myself using Boomerang much, and Asteroid not at all. I'd gladly give them up for PoI. The extra quickshots I suspect will be given to the other drones in a future update soon.

Some of the other things like the 7 km range I can live without just fine.

Hi all, so I'm aware this is my first post on the forum which, ultimately, reduces its value. However, I'm active on the Spark forum and I'm going to get a Mavic Air, so it's likely this will become my new home.

Let me start by stating my drone wish list (in order of importance) at the point of researching and purchasing my Spark:
  • 3 Axis Gimbal
  • Small from the point of view of portability and travel
  • Small from the point of view of not drawing attention to itself
  • Slow Mo Video
  • 1,000m range (I want to follow boat from shore with skier/boarder on back)
The Spark does a very commendable job and I love it. However, despite only owning it a month, I knew the second I saw the specs of the MA that I'd have to upgrade as it literally ticks all my boxes. Would I like Occusync, 40 minutes of flight time and a 1" sensor.....sure, but something has to give.

There's an argument that the Mavic air is incorrectly named (Spark Pro?) but it really doesn't deserve the hate it gets on here from MP and MPP owners. You need to understand, it's not designed to replace your drone but it is, nevertheless, a bit of a kick in the guts (trust me, as a Spark owner it kicks me harder). It basically does nearly everything the MP/MPP does in a much smaller and more portable form factor. Before posting negative comments be really honest with yourself, if you didn't already have an MP/MPP can you honestly not say the MA wouldn't be a real consideration? There's no shame in that and there's no need to focus on one aspect of the MA as a reason why it's crap and can't hold a candle to the MP/MPP.

If the Occusync and longer battery life of the MP/MPP really is the 'game changing' reason why you bought it over the small(ish) form factor then why didn't you get the P4 Pro? More speed, more stability, better camera, etc? For some, the MP/MPP will hit the sweet spot between features, battery life, range and portability - cool. However, others are willing to make some sacrifices for greater portability and others still are willing to make sacrifices in the other direction for the better camera of the P4 Pro. Nobody is wrong; no product is bad.

I own a Golf R and VW released a Golf GTI Clubsport S with the same power, less weight and FWD. It's not a crap product because it doesn't have the AWD (which I need in rainy Scotland) of my Golf R but, make no bones about it, on a dry track the GTI (so called lesser model) would lap faster and probably provide more thrills than my R. I don't feel threatened by it; I just accept that it's a nice product from VW aimed to suit a different set of needs.

That's what's going on with the MA vs MP/MPP. I seriously doubt DJI expected eBay to be flooded with MP/MPP's as everyone dashed to change to the MA. If I had an MP/MPP, - and with my healthy respect for money - I'd not take the hit to change to the MA. However, with a clean slate the MA does fit my needs better.

Anyway, hope that's not to ranty and I'd like to contribute positively and exchange knowledge and ideas going forward. Can MP/MPP owners please just enjoy their drones and wait patiently for the MPII which, ultimately, is designed to relinquish them of more money.
I agree with this ... I have made a ton of buys and then was “pissed” they came out with something newer and smaller! Let’s be honest all you pro owners would be all over this if you if you had the extra money to buy.... good thing I do I think it’s a great opportunity and veeeerrrry versatile... nobody here should be flying 3 miles away to take a shot anyways... and nobody really ever does... just cause it has longer range means nothing.... better SHOTS MEANS BETTER DRONE

I agree with this ... I have made a ton of buys and then was “pissed” they came out with something newer and smaller! Let’s be honest all you pro owners would be all over this if you if you had the extra money to buy.... good thing I do I think it’s a great opportunity and veeeerrrry versatile... nobody here should be flying 3 miles away to take a shot anyways... and nobody really ever does... just cause it has longer range means nothing.... better SHOTS MEANS BETTER DRONE
What presumptuous BS. I have all the money I need to buy drones. But thanks for telling us that we're poor and you're not.

Long range is not the only reason for wanting Occusync -- it's for stronger signal at shorter range and where there is a lot of signal interference.

What presumptuous BS. I have all the money I need to buy drones. But thanks for telling us that we're poor and you're not.

Long range is not the only reason for wanting Occusync -- it's for stronger signal at shorter range and where there is a lot of signal interference.
The funny thing is I’m not telling people they are poor but everyone is hating on something that can get any shot you actually need... Let’s be real ... yes they are flooding market but there is way to much hate out there and no real consumer has posted anything horrible about it

I'm in the UK and my range is even worse than folks in the US. However, I use those little £10 range extenders on my Spark and have had it 1,000m out (double the quoted 500m on CE) before it gave up and flew back to me. I'd expect I'll get at least 1,500m on the Air with the extenders and that's all I'll really need to follow a skier from the shore or take in my surroundings from lots of different vantage points, etc.

Some guy named Casey loves em, look him up......as for me, PRO or its a no go!

almost pulled the trigger but will wait. I fit the main target demographic of the MA being someone shopping for their first drone and the MP is more that i'm willing to spend for the limited intended usage. main concern is the wifi and investing $799 and within a year a newer version will be released at same price point with feature MA is lacking. might just pick up the MP for $799 instead. IMO since the Spark is now discounted to $399, $599 would have been the perfect price point for the MA.

I totally agree. I was going to start the thread “just cause I say the new girl is pretty doesn’t mean your girlfriend is ugly” but thought better of it. I’ve loved my MP and I woulld keep it but because I recently used my second refresh lifeline, I bought the MA (portability also helped ALOT). HOWEVER, if the MA has any connectivity issues I’ll go right back to my old faithful love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d