DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air just dropped from the Sky. -Recovered, but wondering why?

Just something I read somewhere else: What was the weather like? I've seen reports of people flying in relativly cold foggy-kind weather that reported a crash. They figured it was a combination of moisture and cold, leading to something like "icing" we know from airplanes.
No experience with that myself (and I hope I will get that experience either), just something to check on maybe.

I bought my Mavic Air in Dec 2018. Mid Jan I had it tracking me on a golf course; heard a thump behind me, and the drone was on the ground! I was in gesture mode...no controller, so I thought it was a glitch. Every since that day I had been worried it was going to happen again. I have flown that drone over so much water, and so many places where I would not have not been able to retrieve it...…. Well, I am a very lucky individual because it happened to me again yesterday. I was flying in my back yard, trying to get use to my camera controls... just taking picture of my house; it fell to the ground again. I was hovering about 25 yard away, about 3 feet from the ground... looked down to adjust my camera settings and I heard that thump again; the drone was on the ground. I got no errors, not warnings, not loss of signal, no nothing!! Controller was on, drone was still on, no propeller movement. Emailed DJI yesterday and they responded by asking me to send them the drone so they could evaluate the problems. Will give them a call tmw durning business hours. I don't have that" refresh packet," but I will when they return my drone!!! Will let you know how things go.
I have read that others have had the same issues also. Their is definitely a bug with the Mavic Air, hope to have it fixed and back in the air some time soon.
I spoke to DJI California service center on the phone today. They told me it sounds like a warrantee issue. Its going out in the mail tomorrow. Im expecting it factory inspected and repaired. Having the same experiences and issue as you do, I can't fly this drone without worrying it will drop from the Sky onto people's heads, or into the sea.. etc... So when the "new" drone comes back Im getting the Care replacement and service gaurantee. -Very wise purchase considering the price of these drones.

Reactions: Thomas B
I fear you witnessed a power failure of some sort, but what I'm interested in is what sort of eyes do you have to be able to have VLOS with the bird at somewhere near 700 feet up when 400 ft is the advertised limit in the UK and USA perhaps if you had stayed to 400 ft you would have not had the accident.
for sure stay at 400 ft . newbee

DJI Support confirmed reciept of the Drone for Warantee claim. They sent me an email asking for the details: Flight Date, Sync data from DJI Go 4, description of the event...etc. I sent them everything they asked for plus the following files. My Drone died in mid air while hovering. I hope they do the right thing and 1) identify the issue, 2) correct the issue -so other people dont suffer the same event and 3) replace my drone with one I can trust. Here are all the files from the flight that I sent to DJI. I will update this thread when DJI returns their report.

Attachments

• 19-06-06-12-31-25_FLY077.DAT
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DJI-MAVIC-AIR-FLIGHT-PATH-IMAGE-06-06-12-32.jpg
    DJI-MAVIC-AIR-FLIGHT-PATH-IMAGE-06-06-12-32.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-06_[12-32-41].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: dawgpilot
Please keep us updated about this issue and what DJI does/says about it. Kind of worried that it might happen to my MA as well.

-Immediately upon recieving the drone and the flight data they offered to repair the drone. In this case it was only an arm and a landing part. They did not however offer any explanation whatsoever on why the drone fell from the sky. Im going to purchase the care program just to be safe.

I can say DJI has been really very good in correcting this matter, save for lack of any explanation.

Reactions: Thomas B
mavic air just dropped from the sky while recording video. The incident was recorded and I reported the incident to DJI. I dont know what happened. The drone is still flying but with scratches and a crack in the rear left leg. Calibration of sensors is all ok.

mavic air just dropped from the sky while recording video. The incident was recorded and I reported the incident to DJI. I dont know what happened. The drone is still flying but with scratches and a crack in the rear left leg. Calibration of sensors is all ok.
If you want to know why, start a separate thread and post the log-files right with it. Picking this up here will just confuse people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots