DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or Mavic Pro?

You can fly in controlled airspace, but you have to either get clearance through LAANC, or through FAA's DroneZone. Most of the limitation that extends 5 miles is directly under runway approach path. Everywhere else is a gradual height restriction.

Besides the VLOS rule, to get that far you probably will need to be the full 400' high. You will start losing signal as you descend at your parents' house.

Just purchased my Mavic Pro with Fly More Combo today for $625. I think I got a fantastic deal from what I can see. It’s brand new and I’m very excited to start flying. Thank you all for your input.
Just remember if you want to shoot real estate and other business related ventures you must get your Part 107 Certification done. I’m see more and more clowns in my area and when I’ve called and asked I hear “ oh, yeah I registered it. I would have been done but I’m still sitting at home in a boot up to my knee from a broken ankle that required a week long stay in the hospital and surgery. As in all things, if you’re gonna do it do it right?‍♂️Also remember that without that card you and the business could be tagged up to 11,000.00 per violation. CYB!

I’ve been reading up on all the regulations and such and it seems very reasonable. I will be registering my drone with the FAA as well as getting my Part 107 CertIfication. I found that there are stickers you can purchase with your FAA registration number on it along with your phone number in case your drone is lost. I will be purchasing these as they look nice instead of me scribbling or labeling It myself.

This may seem like a silly question but are these drones pretty easy to fly? I’m sure I’ll get used to it just like anything else but since I’ve never flown one before I’d just like to know what the learning curve is. Some people local to me recommended this drone for first time flyers but would like to get some opinions here as well.

I honestly can’t wait to start flying. I purchased a nice landing pad which I read is highly recommended to keep grass, dust and dirt out of the props.

...This may seem like a silly question but are these drones pretty easy to fly? I’m sure I’ll get used to it just like anything else but since I’ve never flown one before I’d just like to know what the learning curve is....
They are very easy to fly, once you get the hang of how the sticks on the remote work. When in doubt, just let go of the sticks and the drone will hove in place.

Reactions: easyheimer
They are very easy to fly, once you get the hang of how the sticks on the remote work. When in doubt, just let go of the sticks and the drone will hove in place.

Awesome! I appreciate the helpful responses. I am finding this site very useful so far and I don't even have the drone yet.

I’ve been reading up on all the regulations and such and it seems very reasonable. I will be registering my drone with the FAA as well as getting my Part 107 CertIfication. I found that there are stickers you can purchase with your FAA registration number on it along with your phone number in case your drone is lost. I will be purchasing these as they look nice instead of me scribbling or labeling It myself.

This may seem like a silly question but are these drones pretty easy to fly? I’m sure I’ll get used to it just like anything else but since I’ve never flown one before I’d just like to know what the learning curve is. Some people local to me recommended this drone for first time flyers but would like to get some opinions here as well.

I honestly can’t wait to start flying. I purchased a nice landing pad which I read is highly recommended to keep grass, dust and dirt out of the props.

In gps/camera mode they are very easy to fly. That said start out in an open space to give yourself an opportunity to get a feel for the controls and reaction time, and start out with small stick movements. A big mistake for beginners is over controlling (actually that's a common mistake for those learning to fly manned aircraft).

Enjoy!

No question is silly...except the one not asked. <g>

There's no question that the DJI Mavics are FAR easier to fly than the quads without GPS. As others have said, just let go of the sticks, and it will hover at its present position, usually - it won't help if your Mavic is executing a "canned" maneuver. Pressing the Pause button on the RC WILL stop the drone, and do so in less distance than if you just let go of the sticks. When you get your drone, try to stop both ways, in an open area.

Pay attention to wind when you're flying. Generally, winds increase with altitude. You'll get a popup warning, if the winds are high. If the winds get over the normal mode maximum speed (~18 mph), the Mavic will not be able to even hold its position. If that happens, I'd put it into Sport mode, and land ASAP.

I appreciate all the tips. These things technically fly themselves I’m finding out, and the features are amazing. Looks to be my new adopted hobby for a long time to come.

I fly my MA most of the time with 5.8G no problems and much further flight distances than with 2.4G flights. Pick the channel manually with the least interference.

I have had some very successful aerial mapping missions with the MA.

I fly my MA most of the time with 5.8G no problems and much further flight distances than with 2.4G flights. Pick the channel manually with the least interference.

I have had some very successful aerial mapping missions with the MA.
So you don’t have any issues with signal on Advanced WiFi? I was going to purchase the Mavic Air instead of the Pro but all the things I read pointed to Occusync being superior to WiFi.

So you don’t have any issues with signal on Advanced WiFi? I was going to purchase the Mavic Air instead of the Pro but all the things I read pointed to Occusync being superior to WiFi.

The benefits of Ocusync are going to be more readily apparent in an area where there is a lot of wifi interference and obstacles. Your experience with enhanced wifi is going to be dependent on the conditions in which you are flying but in general where wifi drops out Ocusync maintains a solid transmission.

The following is a link to a demonstration of Wifi vs Ocusync

I check to see what channels are clear and use accordingly. but 5.8 goes further for me about a mile in rual areas and 1/2 to 3/4 in orhers. well beyond Visual line of sight. As usual it is depending of site location. 2.4G has allot more traffic on it. But there are more and more 5.8G routers coming online.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_