DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or Mavic Pro?

easyheimer

Reactions
Hello! I’m looking to get into the drone scene and have never flown a drone before. After looking around I’ve narrowed it down to the Mavic Air or Mavic Pro and would like some opinions on which one to get.

I have an option for the Mavic Air with the fly more combo and it also comes with the goggles and a bunch of other extras for $999.99 brand new.

I also have an option to scoop up a Mavic Pro with the fly more combo for $700 also brand new.

Which one would you honestly recommend for a beginner?

Thank you in advance and I’m very excited to start flying!

They also have a similar package which comes with a hard case and a one year warranty extension for the Mavic Air

There is also this manufacturer refurbished from DJI combo for $799 but I wouldn’t be able to get a warranty from SquareTrade for it.

both drones are ok but the mavic pro benefits from Occusync ,over the airs advanced wifi for better signal stability

Reactions: Thomas B
your dilemma is something that every noobie faces on the first drone they purchase to help you decide answer these simple questions below

(1)why do you want to buy a drone
(2)what use are you going to put it too
(3)have you got the time to fly it on a regular basis
(4) are you aware of the rules and regs of drone ownership and flying
(5)are you prepared for the ongoing costs further down the line
(6) i am not trying to put you off but owning a drone does require a knowledge base to have a successful outcome and despite what others may say they do not fly themselves

(1) I’m in the photography business and would like to start doing aerial shots for real estate and other uses. Also would love it for recreational use as well.
(2) See above response.
(3) I have quite a bit of time to dedicate to flying.
(4) I am aware that I have to register the drone and also have done some research on rules and regulations of flying.
(5) Thankfully money is not an issue and I can dedicate some funds for expenses that pop up.

It actually looks like I may he able to get the new Mavic Pro with the Fly More Combo for $650. I may just go that route since it is brand new and I can put a nice warranty on it to cover any expenses that may come up within the first 3 years of owning it since I am a beginner.

Ditto Old Man Mavic. I live in a heavy wifi interference area and while I fly VLOS even at visual distance I'll lose wifi connection with my other drones. The Mavic Pro has been rock solid even at twice the distance.

Reactions: old man mavic
Just purchased my Mavic Pro with Fly More Combo today for $625. I think I got a fantastic deal from what I can see. It’s brand new and I’m very excited to start flying. Thank you all for your input.

That's a great deal in my opinion. I paid $625 for mine but it was the regular edition without all of the extras in the fly more package. Nice find!

Yes, the Mavic Pro is larger than the newer Mavics but I wouldn't trade Occusync for the smaller size.

Now go to YouTube and watch some getting started videos. I found them very helpful, more so than the documentation that comes with the drone.

Thank you! That’s all I’ve been doing today. Downloaded the manual as well to read up before it arrives.

That's a great deal in my opinion. I paid $625 for mine but it was the regular edition without all of the extras in the fly more package. Nice find!

Yes, the Mavic Pro is larger than the newer Mavics but I wouldn't trade Occusync for the smaller size.

So the Occusync is that much better eh? I’m glad I made the right choice. The range seems MUCH better as well. What are the main benefits of Occusync?

Reactions: old man mavic
Also, I do have another question. As far as controlling it with your phone, can I use an old spare iPhone without service on it for my main controller or does the phone that you are controlling it with need to have cellular service? I’d like to have a dedicated iPhone for my Mavic Pro if I can.

So the Occusync is that much better eh? I’m glad I made the right choice. The range seems MUCH better as well. What are the main benefits of Occusync?
Occusync is a superior transmission system used on the MP1 the MPP and a uprated system on the M2P and MZ it gives a very stable connection between the controller and drone ,and once you have flown with it you will be amazed how it works of course nothing is infallabell and you still have to remember that it needs to be able to see the aircraft from the home point where the controller is but it takes a lot to make it disconnect

Also, I do have another question. As far as controlling it with your phone, can I use an old spare iPhone without service on it for my main controller or does the phone that you are controlling it with need to have cellular service? I’d like to have a dedicated iPhone for my Mavic Pro if I can.
if it is to old the go4 app wont work check the ios to see if it is compatabell

Occusync isn't as subject to signal loss due to electromagnetic interference as wifi. I live in a high interference environment and typically would begin having issues with wifi signal disruption after 200 meters. I have had zero issues with the Mavic Pro at three times that distance. Solid video feed and flight controls out to as far as I can see the drone.

I really appreciate the responses and overall willingness to help me out from you members. I’m very excited to embark in this new hobby / job. What’s the max distance you’ve gone without losing signal? I want to be able to fly to my parents house to show it off once I get it. They‘re about 2.5 miles away.

Again, I really appreciate the help and knowledge.

I really appreciate the responses and overall willingness to help me out from you members. I’m very excited to embark in this new hobby / job. What’s the max distance you’ve gone without losing signal? I want to be able to fly to my parents house to show it off once I get it. They‘re about 2.5 miles away.

all i can say to that question is read the FAA regs on drone use

Reactions: Dannick

I'm using an Iphone 6s running iOS 12.1.3 and have had no issues with running the DJI Go 4 app with it. As old man mavic said, check the minimum requirements for the DJI Go 4 app and make sure your Iphone is running a version of iOS required for the app.

Ditto Old Man Mavic again. A MUST is becoming familiar with FAA regulations regarding flying a drone (sUAS or small unmanned aircraft system. The Mavic Pro is an Aircraft System and there are hard and fast regulations for where, when and how you can fly it. Three basic regulations are...

1. No flight higher than 400 feet above ground level (some exceptions but that's the basic regulation).

2. No flight into controlled airspace (basic rule is no flight within 5 miles of an airport).

3. You must be keep the drone within your visual line of sight which means you must be able to see the drone with your unaid eyes (vision corrected with glasses is accepted).

So unless you have supervision no trips to the parents house 2.5 miles away.

These are just some of the very basic regulations.

Also, the drone must be registered with the FAA and you must have the registration number visible on the outside of the drone. Here is a link to the FAA website: FAA Website

All the information you need can be found on the FAA website and it is the only official source of information so get familiar with it. Also, only use the link above for registering your drone. There are a bunch of scam website that are charging extra fees to register your drone. The FAA's fee is $5.00 and that will cover all of the drones you may purchase in the future (the all have to have the same registration number visible on the outside).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42