DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Polar Pro filters

FLScout

Reactions
Just received my filters for my MA and will put them to the test over the next few days. Impressed with quality, make and fit. Great size packaging and case for easy access and storage in my MA bag. Will post my thoughts after some Fly time and comparisons.
IMG_0135.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0137.JPG

Reactions: rowleyi and yooda
These are great because they screw on and bezel rotates to get right effect as to polarization. MP was always very difficult to dial-in so to speak.

Hi
I would be really interested in the steps you take to get the filters on and off the gimbal as I’ve got the same ones (I think) and I don’t want to damage anything on the Mavic Air trying to get the filters on. May be you could post photos or a video to provide support
Thanks

Reactions: kejoal11
Hold the camera with one hand and carefully twist the filter to the left with the other hand. It'll move slowly as it starts to untwist.

Hi
I would be really interested in the steps you take to get the filters on and off the gimbal as I’ve got the same ones (I think) and I don’t want to damage anything on the Mavic Air trying to get the filters on. May be you could post photos or a video to provide support
Thanks

My understanding is that PolarPro will be uploading a video to assist because customers, including myself, had problems getting the ring off.

The gimbal is also hard to grab while turning the ring, especially because mine was on pretty tight from the factory. I tried pliers with tape around jaws for protection but found THAT DOES NOT WORK AND SHOULD NOT BE USED because it places pressure on the threads AND COULD DAMAGE THE CAMERA. Luckily I didn't destroy anything.

What worked for me is that I laid the MA on its back and pointed the lens up (i.e. the way it normally point down), and I found that I could grab it more easily.. As recommended by Polarpro, I then placed a thick, strong rubber band around the ring, tightened it up and then turned. Came off pretty easy after that. Apparently the key is even pressure around the entire ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowleyi
I will have a go but it felt really tight when I tried earlier
Is it a screw thread or push fit ?

Yes they are
I ordered mine at the end of January and they arrived this Tuesday from the States tracked all the way by USPS
They look really well made and very light but getting them on the Mavic Air lense without damaging the gimbal is my next step

Reactions: happywafflemonkey
So we need to remove the factory glass to install these? That's worrying. What was wrong with the rubber o ring other manufacturers used? Oh well, mine should be waiting for me when I arrive home today.

So we need to remove the factory glass to install these? That's worrying. What was wrong with the rubber o ring other manufacturers used? Oh well, mine should be waiting for me when I arrive home today.
mine doesn't have "factory glass' its just an empty screw on ring.

Yes they are
I ordered mine at the end of January and they arrived this Tuesday from the States tracked all the way by USPS
They look really well made and very light but getting them on the Mavic Air lense without damaging the gimbal is my next step
Thanks, Just ordered the vivid collection, as well as the Katana tray, Polar Pro has always been the best to deal with so I support them 100%

I will have a go but it felt really tight when I tried earlier
Is it a screw thread or push fit ?

It’s threaded on but it seems they use something to help “lock” the threads on so it takes a bit to get it off.

mine doesn't have "factory glass' its just an empty screw on ring.

Ok great! Thanks. That sounds a lot better, I was afraid the sensor would be exposed while swapping filters. It sounds like DJI was working directly with polar pro during design.

Reactions: ZiprLips
Guys, don't use pliers to get the ring off. You will be stunned how easy it is to remove when using a latex glove and apply equal pressure with your fingers to twist it off. You don't need to death grip it

Hi Guys
Forgot to say but I managed to get the original glass off the lense by turning the drone upside down on a flat surface and holding the gimbal in a way that prevented any movement and unscrewing the lense cover with careful force
The new PolarPro lenses screwed on the thread that was revelled by taking the original lense cover off, with ease
I tried out the lense yesterday with the best bit of sun we’ve had here in Lincolnshire for a while and they worked brilliantly well, I even got a really great bunch of videos shot in 4K 30fps at 100 iso and 50-60 shutter speed with the ND 16 in place (yes it was that sunny)
They really help with the glare in those conditions and stop any stuttering when panning that over exposure can cause
Really pleased

I found the easiest way was to take a label, cut a strip off it, apply the strip of label around the screw on component in front of the lens and then just use normal levels of force while holding the drone upside down and the gimbal steady. It is held in place with some light adhesive but the extra friction you can get with the label attached makes it effortless to get off.

My understanding is that PolarPro will be uploading a video to assist because customers, including myself, had problems getting the ring off.

The gimbal is also hard to grab while turning the ring, especially because mine was on pretty tight from the factory. I tried pliers with tape around jaws for protection but found THAT DOES NOT WORK AND SHOULD NOT BE USED because it places pressure on the threads AND COULD DAMAGE THE CAMERA. Luckily I didn't destroy anything.

What worked for me is that I laid the MA on its back and pointed the lens up (i.e. the way it normally point down), and I found that I could grab it more easily.. As recommended by Polarpro, I then placed a thick, strong rubber band around the ring, tightened it up and then turned. Came off pretty easy after that. Apparently the key is even pressure around the entire ring.
The rubber band trick worked for me - was quite amazed how easily it came off!

My glass lens cover came of really easily. The pp filter went on just as easily. I flew with the 16 pl the other day near my house and I can't wait to get out in the field with the setup. I used a pair of polarized sunglasses to tune the filter and was able to see into water considerably better. I'm happy with the purchase.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d