DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Pro, not Mavic Pro II?

Pixla

Reactions
Anyone else hoping that DJI's new drone on the 18th will be more of a Mavic Air Pro, and not a Mavic Pro II?

I've only owned the Mavic Air and I really like it, but I'm not super fond of the optics of the Mavic Pro.

But after flying with the Mavic Air for a while I can't help feeling "wow, if they only made this twice the size and tried to upgrade it as far as it would go with that form factor".

Even at twice the size it would be extremely portable. But it would fit a larger battery, better camera, and perhaps most importantly, more robust WiFi/Occu sync (yes, flying in the weak European mode here).

The new drone is set out to check many of my 'boxes' I think, I just wish it's closer to the Mavic Air form factor than the Mavic Pro.

Anyone else?

Anyone else hoping that DJI's new drone on the 18th will be more of a Mavic Air Pro, and not a Mavic Pro II?

I've only owned the Mavic Air and I really like it, but I'm not super fond of the optics of the Mavic Pro.

But after flying with the Mavic Air for a while I can't help feeling "wow, if they only made this twice the size and tried to upgrade it as far as it would go with that form factor".

Even at twice the size it would be extremely portable. But it would fit a larger battery, better camera, and perhaps most importantly, more robust WiFi/Occu sync (yes, flying in the weak European mode here).

The new drone is set out to check many of my 'boxes' I think, I just wish it's closer to the Mavic Air form factor than the Mavic Pro.

Anyone else?
whats wrong with the pro ?

You can bet that the design for the MP2 will be vastly improved since the Mavic Pro. Don't believe any of those supposed concept sketches floating around. I cannot imagine DJI would take 10 steps back from the incredibly slick and robust design they made for the Air. Especially not that fragile gimbal design the Pro has.

I think the big difference between the Air and Pro is Ocusync, or lack thereof. So I'd reckon that if they would expand the product line of Air's and Pro's it'll always have that difference between them until there's something even better than Ocusync around to ditch WiFi altogether.
Heck, maybe they'll even give it a whole new name.

You can bet that the design for the MP2 will be vastly improved since the Mavic Pro. Don't believe any of those supposed concept sketches floating around. I cannot imagine DJI would take 10 steps back from the incredibly slick and robust design they made for the Air. Especially not that fragile gimbal design the Pro has.

I think the big difference between the Air and Pro is Ocusync, or lack thereof. So I'd reckon that if they would expand the product line of Air's and Pro's it'll always have that difference between them until there's something even better than Ocusync around to ditch WiFi altogether.
Heck, maybe they'll even give it a whole new name.

Completely agree.
I read these posts about the MA and why didn’t DJI put all this stuff into it, yadaa, yadaa, yadaa. Well, it’s simple. More variety for folks who want to start off flying.
All the arguments boil down to one sales model: Apples Model.
You have two flagship products but one has stuff the other doesn’t. Different price points. Still some great tech in each of them. Why would any manufacturer put all their current, most advanced tech into every model. Defeats the purpose of the “next model anticipation.” Especially for those that do not already own a drone but have been waiting. Example: iPhone 7 or iPhone 7s? Do you think Apple cares that they undercut the iPhone7 sales? I think not. Because there’s people that will buy the discounted 7 model and those that just can’t live without the very greatest and current 7s model.

The context applies with DJI drones (if they are smart lol).

Just my opinion since I was one of those new pilots that had to make a decision between the (at the time) 4-month old Mavic Air or the 2 year old Pro.
I chose the MA.

DJI will certainly improve their next Mavic model (if the name stays) and we will see some great tech inside it. Will it have everything we want? Probably not. That’s not to say it won’t appeal to the masses however.

Completely agree.
I read these posts about the MA and why didn’t DJI put all this stuff into it, yadaa, yadaa, yadaa. Well, it’s simple. More variety for folks who want to start off flying.
All the arguments boil down to one sales model: Apples Model.
You have two flagship products but one has stuff the other doesn’t. Different price points. Still some great tech in each of them. Why would any manufacturer put all their current, most advanced tech into every model. Defeats the purpose of the “next model anticipation.” Especially for those that do not already own a drone but have been waiting. Example: iPhone 7 or iPhone 7s? Do you think Apple cares that they undercut the iPhone7 sales? I think not. Because there’s people that will buy the discounted 7 model and those that just can’t live without the very greatest and current 7s model.

The context applies with DJI drones (if they are smart lol).

Just my opinion since I was one of those new pilots that had to make a decision between the (at the time) 4-month old Mavic Air or the 2 year old Pro.
I chose the MA.

DJI will certainly improve their next Mavic model (if the name stays) and we will see some great tech inside it. Will it have everything we want? Probably not. That’s not to say it won’t appeal to the masses however.

Exactly that. The amount of psychology involved in marketing campaigns of massive industries like this is scary. If they went to include Ocusync in the Mavic Air (which I reckon they easily could), they would destroy any sales left for the Mavic Pro since the range and transmission reliability is still the main selling point for that quad. There will always be deliberate shortcomings to anticipate the next release for customers and to have more spread in the market for the productline. It makes people compare quads and perhaps buy one they otherwise would not.
And that's fine, because whatever tech they choose not to include also makes it cheaper for most of us.

Latest rumors are that there may be two versions of the Mavic Pro 2, one with a 1" sensor - if that is true I am ordering one as soon as they are available, provided it's similar size to the previous Mavic. If they continue to use a 12MP tiny sensor on all versions of the new Mavic Pro 2, there is little reason to not just stick with the Air other than range and run-times, neither which matter to me personally since the Air already has plenty of both.

But then again, given the increasing and already, in some cases, stifling amount of regulation around the world, and the fact that DJI wants its product as widely saleable as possible, what's the point in using long range control technology and other such stuff when the Air's "WiFi on steroids" already keeps you well inside the envelope? I foresee potentially smaller flight envelopes in future but more software gimmicks and better camera equipment.

yes i agree the race for the 1inch sensor is key to winning the race, autel has thier new lineup and still dont know if a 1 inch sensor model is in that lineup and now dji relaeases some info but still no definate 1inch sensor annswers, play the waiting game i guess, i cant see upgrading simply for a few extra minutes of flight time, the variable aperture has me intrigued though.... like others state i hope the new dji product is like the air and has a more proatected gimble. thats definatly the weak link on the mav

Anyone else?
Sign me Up! Please let it be the Mavic Air Pro!!! I have a Mavic Pro for the last 1.5 years now and I love it just the way it is. As much as I love the Mavic Pro I would find it hard to spend money on the Mavic Pro II (if it is the Mavic Pro II, I will still buy it). I hope for the Mavic Air Pro with OcuSync and longer flight time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000