DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air prop bites

dgd3

Reactions
Prop bit me yesterday, doesn't look that sharp.
Tip: don't hand catch from the top. Trouble is trying to catch from the bottom it just moves away because of the ground sensor sensing ones hand.

IMG_2192.JPGIMG_2193.JPGIMG_2194.JPG.

Yes and turn off landing protection under the obstacle avoidance settings.

I regularly hand land my MP. I hover 2 feet above then initiate landing and it lands on my hand. Simple. If you try to hold it and THEN initiate landing, it will fight you.

Easiest method is to bring it down, hold down on the stick and it will drop into your hands. I catch with three fingers on the battery. Dono how you’d grab it From the top as the blades would leave like an inch opening.

Reactions: Stimmy
Cup your hand underneath and from the side towards the front of the MA and you can avoid the sensors - works every time for me.

Learnt the technique here:

Last edited:
Reactions: JuergenX1
Easiest method is to bring it down, hold down on the stick and it will drop into your hands. I catch with three fingers on the battery. Dono how you’d grab it From the top as the blades would leave like an inch opening.

It was a reflex action to catch the Mavic I did without thinking.

Cup your hand underneath and from the side towards the front of the MA and you can avoid the sensors - works every time for me.

Learnt the technique here:

That was very good. explains why sometimes it would see my hand and sometimes it would not. I'll practice this evening.

Ya also never do the flip upside down you see on some vids. Bring it down, get your hand ready and hold down on the stick. It’ll drop into your hand or into your fingers if ukj pinch catch. The motors never fire up or go under stress.

Ya also never do the flip upside down you see on some vids. Bring it down, get your hand ready and hold down on the stick. It’ll drop into your hand or into your fingers if ukj pinch catch. The motors never fire up or go under stress.
Why should you not use the "flip it on it's side" technique to cut the engines??

Yeah why not? I almost consistently land by catching it from below, with all sensors on, and turning it sideways. and it stops. It seems to be the fastest, easiest and safest way to do it. The older firearms never complained but now the app says something about a rollover or crash but i just ignore it. Letting it land on your hand sounds like a terrible idea to me. The only thing I worry about is if I send it for warranty they may give me a hard time, not because I think they will think I crash my drone every single flight, but because they may decide they cannot tell if it was me catching it or a real crash in all the crash reports.

Yeah why not? I almost consistently land by catching it from below, with all sensors on, and turning it sideways. and it stops. It seems to be the fastest, easiest and safest way to do it. The older firearms never complained but now the app says something about a rollover or crash but i just ignore it. Letting it land on your hand sounds like a terrible idea to me. The only thing I worry about is if I send it for warranty they may give me a hard time, not because I think they will think I crash my drone every single flight, but because they may decide they cannot tell if it was me catching it or a real crash in all the crash reports.
Sorry, you've lost me - I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic?

I am serious. I've done it both ways and I liked the catch and tilt method much more than opening my hand and letting the drone land on it ot try to catch it as its descending. It hovers rock solid so I just put my hand under it and catch it before the sensors make it go up, it's not instant you have a couple seconds. It's just second nature to me now I don't even think about it I just grab it and tilt it.

Reactions: dgd3
I am serious. I've done it both ways and I liked the catch and tilt method much more than opening my hand and letting the drone land on it ot try to catch it as its descending. It hovers rock solid so I just put my hand under it and catch it before the sensors make it go up, it's not instant you have a couple seconds. It's just second nature to me now I don't even think about it I just grab it and tilt it.
Now I get you, that’s the same technique I use - never have any problems

Hold the stick down for ~3 seconds and it will bypass the downward sensors and land in your hand. I do this all the time, works great when terrain is not suitable for a landing or you don't want to deploy your landing pad.

Reactions: dgd3 and mapwd1702
First off, let me start by stating I was quite happily surprised someone linked my video here :)
Glad it helped someone!

I read somewhere that if you handcatch and turn the aircraft to the side to turn off the props you put some extra strain on the motors.
Not sure how accurate this is tho, since I've seen some official DJI crew doing it themselves...

Yes and turn off landing protection under the obstacle avoidance settings.
I like this not just for hand catches, but with sensors off, the craft is no longer adding inputs that the pilot must then countermand or be surprised of when piloting the craft.

Last edited:
Reactions: FEMit
You need to grab with your hand or better to say with fingers more for the front end but certainly from below! MA gently wants to beat up, but you have time to catch it and roll over to the side. I do it all the time, without turning off the bottom sensors. so far I have had no problems.

first time hearing people catching the drone from top, well now you know what's the easiest way to catch it

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman