Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Quieter Prop Development Update

Hummingbird.UAV

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I have been working on quieter props for the Mavic Air for over a year now. The first prototype hub worked very well other than it was hard to install and remove. I also didn't trust the single screw holding it together. Hence a second prototype but sadly it also had an Achilles heel. Watch below to find out what it was.

You invested so much time and effort in this project, thank you for that. I was watching the videos, great stuff. Until next idea comes along, stay well.

You invested so much time and effort in this project, thank you for that. I was watching the videos, great stuff. Until next idea comes along, stay well.
Thanks very much Dedal, win some / loose some. Sad that the new Mavic Air 2 is so much bigger that the MA. I was hopping to use it's props but they are almost an inch larger in diameter. :(

I guess a lot go the noise from the Air is due to the size of it’s props. A small drone = small props that have to turn at higher rpm..hence more noise. This could be one of the reasons that the Air 2 is quite substantially larger than the Air 1, when the arms are open for flight. Bigger, slower props for a drone of similar weight = less noise.

I guess a lot go the noise from the Air is due to the size of it’s props. A small drone = small props that have to turn at higher rpm..hence more noise. This could be one of the reasons that the Air 2 is quite substantially larger than the Air 1, when the arms are open for flight. Bigger, slower props for a drone of similar weight = less noise.
What you have said is correct however I have also found more blades = slower rpm. I have been using 3 blades quite successfully but have not been able to design a hub without a screw. A single small screw does not seem safe.

Maybe I should watch your videos - but...

I don't see "a single small screw" in my MA2 prop hubs. If you're talking about the screws/pivots for the propellers, I don't understand the concern: 1) 3 blade props likely have lower RPM, individual blade mass, and diameter than 2 blade props - never greater in any one factor, so less stress on the same size fastening that DJI uses. If your prop hubs are as sturdy as DJI's I don't see the concern. Have you had failures - examined them closely to determine where it failed - and compared the area of failure with something that works? This is R&D development - replicate and duplicate - usually highly reliable - more so than tested stress/strain/bending moment calculation based parts; they too need testing because you can't know/account for all the dynamic factors. Even rocket scientists have to test their designs.

As to hubs fitting a little tightly - again, I don't see the development problem. Getting the individual props right seems a bigger job than getting the props right. Just shave a little off the hub where it is binding to continue with prop development. You can make the hub smaller when you get to production planning.

If your ideas look promising, don't stop now - one 'little screw' issue seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm talking about the screw in the top center of the hub. Look closely at the video thumbnail. On the two blade prop the root of the blade has broken a few times, not the hub I made.
Drone development is so fast, I already own two newer DJI models and hardly use the Mavic Air anymore so I don't see the need to work on this project anymore.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent