DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air won't move forward or backwards!

UPDATE: I got everything turned on this morning. Smart phone connected to controller and connected to the aircraft. App opened up and immediately it started a firmware upgrade. I let this finish and got everything going. Still the same thing. Turned off obstacle avoidance and tried again and it worked. You were right about the avoidance system. Took it outside and works great!!!
Thank you all for all the great suggestions as I am new to this.
HAPPY FLYING
P.S.-Still wondering if it was the automatic firmware update or the avoidance system that was the problem but happy either way.
I would turn the obstacle avoidance system back on, and see if it function's properly. No offence, but since you are new to flying your drone... I would hate to read about how you crashed it.

P.S.-Still wondering if it was the automatic firmware update or the avoidance system that was the problem but happy either way.
I haven't read of any avoidance system problems that were resolved with the latest firmware update. If your first flights were inside as opposed to outside in the open, there's a 90% chance your avoidance system problems were caused by trying to fly in a confined space.

The first time I launched my brand new Mavic Air (about eight months ago), I was in the front room of my condo. The drone lifted off, but refused to go in pretty much any direction but up after that. As soon as I took it outside, it flew like a bird. :)

Larry

Reactions: pvs
I am new to droning.
I set my drone up and it worked fine.
Got the message to upgrade software and when I did I lost forwad and reverse.
It won't work with controller or with my phone, I tried both ways.
All other functions work fine and software is all showing up to date.
Getting frustrated, any ideas????

Same thing happened inside my house .. No forward or backwards, but
I could roll port or starboard .. So, I yawed CW 90 degrees and rolled starboard
and brought the bird within 2 ' of my head.. Then yawed to the port and was able to
move forward (away) from my head .. This confirmed that it was the obstacle avoid-
dance system that was not allowing me to go forward or backwards.. If you do not
have the radar display active, it might be difficult to assess just what is the problem.
The more I play w/ the bird, the more I'm able to understand what's up .. Also there
are several pilots on this forum who are always ready to offer help ..
GL and please fly safe and responsible ..

BTW: Don't forget to take (ALL) of your tools to the flying site ..
This morn I forgot the MAVMOUNT, and was not able to hold the RC controller and
my smart phone at the same time .. ERGO: no fun this Sunday Morn .. BOO HOO!!
Most IOS (Apple) cell phones have a thickness of 1/4 inch w/ a tolerance of + or -
approx 5 to 10 thousands, while many Androids start at abt 1/3 of an inch .. So, my
Android will not fit into the DJI rc controller w/out forcing it .. That is why I decided
to use the Mavmount .. But, I'm still finding it difficult to view the screen on a bright
sunny day .. I heard that a screen protector w/ a matte finish would be better than
a glossy one ,, Anyone know if this is true ??

Last edited:
Reactions: JimJ
@Air Tank: If you had mentioned all the annoying beeping people might have figured it out soooner!

It never dawned on me that he could have been inside trying to fly it. lol
Good job jerrymad.
Air tank, at least you know the obstacle avoidance works.

This just happened to me tonight (no forward or backward) with my Mavic 2! It took off just fine. I flew forward to the area where I wanted to photograph. But once I started hovering, I lost all forward/backward control. All other flying directions/maneuvers worked just fine. I put it in "sport" mode, thinking that might at least get me back. Still wouldn't fly forward/backward. I had to fly "sideways" to get back. I thought in sport mode all obstacle avoidance is off, so I'm not sure if my problem is obstacle avoidance related. Oh, also, I was flying at night... could that be a cause?

If needed, I know how to delete and reinstall the DJI app, but do I need to also delete and reinstall software on the Mavic 2?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman