DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air2 versus Wave - it didn't go well

I believe the wet suit would have been a great idea, but only in fresh water.
After flying my M1X is some pretty horrible weather with a Wetsuit installed I wonder if a battery disconnect/short is what caused it to go down. It seemed like it was recovering and then the video stopped.

Mike

I do a lot of over water, beach flying. I find the IR AGL sensor to be pretty accurate, although it is understandably fluctuating +/- 2-5 feet or so when over waves.

I do a lot of over water, beach flying. I find the IR AGL sensor to be pretty accurate, although it is understandably fluctuating +/- 2-5 feet or so when over waves.
With my Mavic Pros I have noticed that if the water is super clear and calm it seems like the drone “sees” the bottom of the lake rather than the surface of the water and that can confuse it a little sometimes.

Mike

Reactions: WyomingCB
As we have shown in Countless videos water in the gimbal , is not going to take down your drone, but Water in the Power Button or the battery will disconnect it. Thus this is where the Wet Suits shine like the Holy Grail.

I know its not a Submarine with the Wet Suit but its not to bad.

Is the trick here not to stop the motors as water contact made?

Is the trick here not to stop the motors as water contact made?
No, If you land on the Water with the Rescue Jacket the Motors are going to shut down, You can than restart the motors so you have the ability to pop up over a wave. We do not recommend landing on Salt Water for fun.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: twickers14
With my Mavic Pros I have noticed that if the water is super clear and calm it seems like the drone “sees” the bottom of the lake rather than the surface of the water and that can confuse it a little sometimes.

Mike
yeah, that can be an issue.

Thankfully the Pacific in N. Cali is pretty murky, and surf on the shoreline is opaque white.

Works well with the sensor. This is from the FPV frequently looking at the IR sensor telemetry while close to the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: slozukimc
As stated earlier. Use Grid lines and also angle the gimbal slightly down. With the gamble angled down even just a degree or so you will automatically be higher when videoing.
Same when going over a bridge, angle down. Going under the bridge angle up.
Even so so there is still a risk factor especially with waves and also any underlying swell coming through.

As stated earlier. Use Grid lines and also angle the gimbal slightly down. With the gamble angled down even just a degree or so you will automatically be higher when videoing.
Same when going over a bridge, angle down. Going under the bridge angle up.
Even so so there is still a risk factor especially with waves and also any underlying swell coming through.
Sorry for your loss mate, not sure if you you know this but every seventh wave is a big one. Looking at your video to I saw that you were waiting until the wave was on top of your drone before you started pulling back in a few frames you actually went forward just clearing the wave by a few inches perhaps as the bottom of the shot can't really be seen that well. Like every body else suggested try what they say and rather than be in front of the wave and waiting till the last moment start pulling back sooner so you can get the whole shot and effect you want.

My experience when flying towards the subject matter, whether VLOS or watching my SC, is that it is difficult to judge distance from the subject matter.

Being at a right angle makes a world of difference. I am so totally impressed by pilots who fly FPV and get those incredible videos.

Reactions: WyomingCB
Watching the video it’s pretty obvious the drone was losing altitude either by choice or uncommanded. The logs would show if op moved the sticks prior to the last wave.
Sorry for your loss, I fly an A2 also. Wonderful bird.

Watching the video it’s pretty obvious the drone was losing altitude either by choice or uncommanded.
That's an illusion from watching the sea surface rising and falling.
Watch the position of the horizon and it doesn't move.

Reactions: Capt KO
I'm kicking myself. My MA2 is now resting in Davy Jones locker due to my own foolishness. 😠 I was going for a low-altitude pullback shot of a large breaking wave. I misjudged the height of the drone and the wave clipped my poor MA2, disoriented it, and sent it plummeting. +1 for Pacific Ocean. Yeah, I'm an idiot. Here's the video from the cache.

As someone who flys a MA2 regularly over surf & rough water down under in Aus, I feel your pain. Did you have a reasonable VLOS? Did your MA2 have strobes fitted? I have felt a lot more confident flying over the surf since fitting Firehouse strobes. I have a Forum post today near the end which demonstrates. Hope you get a new bird soon, and get back out there.

Reactions: Capt KO
At about 1:15 you can see from the surfer and the horizon and oil rig, that the OP significantly lowered the drone and that is what caused that next wave to contact the drone. Had he not changed his altitude at around 1:15 he would probably still have his drone today.

At about 1:15 you can see from the surfer and the horizon and oil rig, that the OP significantly lowered the drone and that is what caused that next wave to contact the drone. Had he not changed his altitude at around 1:15 he would probably still have his drone today.
I for one extend much respect to the OP for trying the shot.

Many here are unwilling to take risks, understandably. It is also true that some of the most awesome shots require risk.

Many here are unwilling to take risks, understandably. It is also true that some of the most awesome shots require risk.
I'm not saying anything against him, I was pointing this out for a few that thought the drone was losing altitude on its own. He took a risk to get that low to get a nice shot and it cost him, unfortunately. I hope he can claim it on insurance and get back up in the air.

I am thinking of experimenting with fishing line and some well placed split shot so when my drone goes down I can reel ‘er back in. 😉

Mike

I am thinking of experimenting with fishing line and some well placed split shot so when my drone goes down I can reel ‘er back in. 😉

Mike
Yep. I suppose it would be of some comfort to have the corroding corpse in the car trunk on the way home, especially if you had Care Refresh coverage. Just remember to remove the monofilament line from the motor shafts before sealing the shipping box.

Reactions: EpicFlight
Yep. I suppose it would be of some comfort to have the corroding corpse in the car trunk on the way home, especially if you had Care Refresh coverage. Just remember to remove the monofilament line from the motor shafts before sealing the shipping box.
No worries about corrosion in the fresh water I play around. Some of the shots I want to get are super risky and I would be willing to risk the waterfall bringing one of my fpv drones down as long as I could recover it(I wouldn’t leave contaminents in the water on purpose) and the gopro mounted to it for the footage.

It would take a team. One on the reel and one on the drone and a “hitch” of some sort, kinda like heli training gear, to keep the line away from the props. Obviously it would only work for certain shots.

Mike

Thanks. Yes, that describes me. I've flown from this bluff many times and was running out of new filming ideas. Somehow the crazy idea of flying backwards, fast and very low, just ahead of a large crashing wave stuck in my head. I had to have THAT shot! Earlier in the video, I did achieve it somewhat, but it wasn't dramatic enough. I wanted to get even closer! I did, and I paid the price big time. But that shot....

I replaced the Air2 with a Mini2 so if I lose the Mini2 the sting won't be so bad. But it's no comparison. The Air2 is a much better performer in all ways. Better video, better gimbal, better speed, better cinema modes. Now I really feel bad about losing that little guy!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv