DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and ipad mini

kinsey

Reactions
This guy has found that it can be done so before buying any of them 3d printed plastic blocks and a inspire 1 stand check this guy out and save yourself some money.It's really cool and it works well and does not block the controller.

i'm using ipad mini 4 and i can't put it in. It feels like im gonna snap the handles if i force it. anyone experiencing problems as well? I tried inserting one corner first but its not as easy as the video, the rubber inside the handles really grip the ipad mini and it itself is already quite thick. maybe if i force it it will work but for now i dun wanna break the controller.

i'm using ipad mini 4 and i can't put it in. It feels like im gonna snap the handles if i force it. anyone experiencing problems as well?
Mine fits, but not as easily as it appears in the above video. Try touching both corners of the iPad Mini against the bottom of the remote controllers handles, Then, gradually slide each corner of the iPad Mini into the remote controller. By that, I mean you slide the left corner in a half inch and then slide the right corner in a half inch. And, repeat until it's fully inserted.

I just tried again and i conclude that it is not possible to put my ipad mini 4 into the RC without feeling like i'm gonna snap the controller. I even went to the point where i think i'm forcing too much and i cant see how it slot in so easily as seen in the video

Yes, it's a tight fit for sure. It is possible though. In the comments for the YouTube video above, he confirms he's using an iPad Mini 4 in the video.

I sure hope this will work! I was about to pull the trigger on one of the adapters for my mini 4 but held off and did some more research and came across this thread..... Looks like he didn't have any problem getting it in there as long as he had the one corner in first. Anyone one else give it a try? I'm hoping to have my Mavic tomorrow so, I'll hopefully find out and report back.

Just read this post... and gave it a try. iPad mini Retina (Not 4)
71b619ebd489e0aea428a570b136176e.jpg

7c19f75b0581c4d0ce096cf15c969d92.jpg

4dda2891d9f5c723f0f7b93cae1b86ec.jpg

c377b997da796df84ca6a1f048038a5d.jpg

Just be sure you remove these:
8113796320c4edca7409c677aa4b6e6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the way I have been flying it since I figured out the iPad would fit and made that video. It actually balances well in my hands and doesn't interfere with control. The extra screen space is great especially since I don't have a larger size screen phone.

That's the way I have been flying it since I figured out the iPad would fit and made that video. It actually balances well in my hands and doesn't interfere with control. The extra screen space is great especially since I don't have a larger size screen phone.

Great video Jake cheers for making it easy for all to follow.

Reactions: JakeS
You know, the only thing I've though was a bit ill thought out about the Mavic was how the iPhone fit in the controller. It's just a bit to hard to get in and get the plug seated properly. And when it was in it half-way covered the home button. I thought to myself, why did they put so much obvious effort into designing all the other aspects of the Mavic and its controller and not find a way to avoid obscuring the home button? And what's with this sliding plug holder that is removable and we are provided with extras??

I truly believe now that the controller was built around an iPad Mini and then "retrofitted" to also hold a phone. I think DJI knew a vast majority of people were controlling their Phantoms with an iPad Mini-and they had to know they would piss people off if this new Mavic controller couldn't.

But, DJI also wanted to market the small size. This would be a revolutionary product with a size unheard of-but if you put an iPad mini in the controller it starts to look bulky again-even if it may be very functional.

So I think they decided to market the smallness of the unit and the controller, but make it so it still fit an iPad Mini. This was clear to me once I put my iPad mini into it. The mini fits nice and snug. Remember, the mini is hanging out the bottom, it needs to be tight or you'd have all kinds of customers complaining that their tablet just fell out the bottom on the floor!

You can tell it was meant for the mini because it is exactly the right size. The mini fits perfectly into the corners. There are slots in the corners of the controller so the corners of the mini can slide through. There would be no other reason for this otherwise. A phone doesn't need the open slot. And the plug holder is removable so that you can put the mini in the open slots. There is an extra USB port that works just like the phantom. And they probably gave extra plug holders because they knew if you take them out to put in your mini there is a good chance you will lose it.

And the corners of the controller snug perfectly in the palm of your hand, with the ability to wrap your pinky's under it for stability. And holding this way with the mini you barely obscure the screen.

Yes, it may get some getting used to because the controller was designed to be as small as possible, but it is usable.

Again, I think they definitely planned for the iPad mini to fit but they wanted to tout portability. If you start carrying around a mini too it becomes less portable and you start losing some of the benefits. But for those who want the best of both worlds I think DJI did a great job designing for both applications-I just wish they could have put just a little more thought into how the phone would be installed and figment.

Z

Here is a video of me flying inside with using my iPad mini 2 with the controller:

Last edited:
I picked up a mini 4 and have been flying with it. Hard to go back to the phone non-business definately will when portability is an issue. Only downside I see so far is that it's a little hard to get a smooth tilt because the tilt dial is not in an ideal position-but certainly not terrible.

Z

Yes I use a mini 2 and its good but makes accessing some controlos a bit awkward. Gimbal tilt is the worse but inadvertently pressed return to home as well. Nothing serious but just need to practice more.
Pity that all these tablets/phones controllers have hightly reflective screens even with sun shades. If someone produced an ultra bright non reflective mini sized tablet they would sell heaps.

If someone produced an ultra bright non reflective mini sized tablet they would sell heaps.
Try the iPad Mini 4. It has an anti-reflective coating and is brighter than the iPad Mini 2.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000