DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic arriving today. Any tips?

Fotomatt1

Reactions
So my MP is arriving today. I didn't get the bundle as it was on back order so I built my own with just the accessories I wanted.

I'm hoping to get home while there is still a couple of hours of daylight and am hoping to be able to take it up for a quick low-altitude flight. Any tips for a first time Mavic (or any drone) pilot? Thanks in advance.

Take the gimbal lock off before powering on :)
Go to a wide open space and start in beginner mode with enough satellites.
Enjoy!

Reactions: Dragonfly1
Based on my experience recently receiving my mavic (I still haven't been able to fly yet).

Charge everything up.

Get the DJI Assistant software, and do a firmware update on the drone/RC through that, was the easiest way for me to make sure everything is up to date.

Also fire it up indoors, props off, connect up, and test settings out, DO NOT try to take off (spin up motors) with props off, just connect to the app and validate all your settings before going out.

Try out the simulator at least once

Re-charge everything

Then go out for your first flight

Don't forget to go look up a good pre-flight checklist (I believe there are several floating around this forum) and use it at least the first few flights to ensure you're covering your bases (at least until you've memorized the process).

Other than that, no real tips as I haven't flown yet (as I said, mavic arrived Monday, but new Drone laws here restrict flying areas and my home is in a no fly zone, have to drive a fair ways to fly, and haven't had time yet, hoping to get out this weekend).

Have fun!

So my MP is arriving today. I didn't get the bundle as it was on back order so I built my own with just the accessories I wanted.

I'm hoping to get home while there is still a couple of hours of daylight and am hoping to be able to take it up for a quick low-altitude flight. Any tips for a first time Mavic (or any drone) pilot? Thanks in advance.
Congratulations, best of luck and enjoy your new hobby.
Regards,
-d.

Thanks for rubbing it in! Still waiting for mine to ship!

Read the manual multiple times! And read this forum too - lots of great advice. Beginner mode as well for your first flights is a great tip!

Reactions: MediaElite
Take your time and fully charge everything. Then do any updates that are needed. If you are taking off or landing from an uneven surface, dirt, or grassy area use a smooth surface.
When landing do not let the Mavic drag over a hard surface. These are stable and easy to fly drones. Just remember that they are not super strong items so be careful and enjoy your new Mavic.

1. Read the manual.
  2. Charge everything.
  3. Pay attention: remove locks, sure-click batteries, check for green on apps, ensure everything that needs to be connected is positively so.
  4. Go fly. Film and photo your world and have tons of fun.
  5. Go easy at first to minimize risks. When in doubt, just don't.
  6. Grow confidence safely and slowly.

It's already been mentioned here but it's so important, I'm going to say it again. READ THE MANUAL.

I'm pretty tech savy and tend to skip manual reading thinking 'I'll just figure it out'. This is one case where it's important.

Also, the Mavic has some bad manners in some situations that aren't in the manual but are well documented here in this forum. One of these is performing a RTH (return to home) where the drone needs to fly into the sun that is low on the horizon. Depending on your settings, the drone may stop since it can detect the sun as an obstacle. It may then try to climb over this obstacle until it the battery is critically low when it will attempt to land immediately. This has resulted in at least one destroyed Mavic that I know of.

Nearly 100% of drone crashes or other bad behavior is pilot error. By now, most of the bad things that can happen with the Mavic, have happened, and the stories can be found in the threads on this site. Reading them can help you be more prepared when the white knuckle moment happens to you.

Good luck with your new toy.

Make sure you are home to receive the package. They need you to sign it. Then follow other important advice.

What they said.

I got mine 2 weeks and was very tempted to take it out and fly it, but I resisted for a few days while I got a clue.

There are a lot of stories on web sites about people crashing it the first time out.

Use the simulator on the DJI app, read, watch videos, IE, take it slow IMO.

Congratulations, first time drone (MP) owner myself. I suggest periodically reading the form here I have found it to be a good one.
I found getting used to the controls is easy by flying just above head height and following (walking) the Drone as you control it. It takes some getting used to having the drone coming at you and trying to control it.

Practice and don't test the maximum capabilities of the MP till you become comfortable with it.

Have fun !

Try to avoid flying near crowds or even small numbers of people. People hate drones for some reason. And enjoy the hobby as much as you can while it lasts because chances are it will go away like it did in Canada (because people hate drones). Takes just one unintentional or intentional injury here in the US and they'll be illegal.

Here is the best listing I have found of helpful videos for the Mavic Pro.
Enjoy!
From callibrating the IMU or compass, to learning to fly. We have it all for your DJI Mavic Pro on video how to's

Charge everything.
Do a Firmware update
Do you first flight somewhere in the open, no metal, no cars, nothing to crash within 50 feet on any side.
Make sure your return to home height is sufficient. I like 50m better for my area, shrug.
Do NOT throttle up and take off until you get a GPS Lock visible on the controller.
Start props, take off, hover, land, till you're sure you got that figured out.
Practice moving the drone around, then turn it 180 and do the same until you get comfortable with reversed controls. If you do this at 6 feet or less over some grass, a crash won't destroy it. Might lose a prop, but the drone will live.
Keep the gimbal cover on for your first few flights at least.
If you lose sight of the drone for whatever reason, send it UP at least 50 feet then use your forward back until the distance on the controller decreases. This way you know if it's coming back at you.
If you get all confused and it's not going where you want, STOP, let go of the controls for a second, take a breath then ease back on them.

By your second battery, you'll be much more comfortable.

It took me a number of flights before I felt comfortable enough with this drone to send it more than a few hundred feet away from me and I have other drones I've flown for some time. It was simply a matter of the drone earning my trust. It doesn't take long though, assuming its working as designed.

Have fun!

Haha! I said "Low altitude" flight at first, too. Within minutes it was a mile away from me.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980