DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic at 3 Miles! . . . VLOS

This topic has been debated and PROVEN from the FSDO. I'm convinced that regardless of the "Official" evidence etc that member will continue to argue and try to swing the law their way.

It's been stated time and time again what the law states (in it's entirety) what is requred and allowed. I don't think anything I say is going to make a difference one way or another.

I hope you fly safe and have no incidences going forward.

Sincerely,
Allen

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lots of talk about how far you can go VLOS. Currently the Canadian rules say VLOS but "no more than 500m from the operator", My SFOC simply says VLOS, so I've been developing procedures for FVLOS. Forward Visual Line O Sight, is when a Forward Observer (FOBS) will pick up VLOS while he is located up to 1/2 mile away from the launch site and maintain object/aircraft avoidance over that part of the mission. With the M2E searchlight however that distance is now more like 3 miles plus. Here's what Mavic looks like at 5280ft. If my FOBS was a mile further out he could easily pick up the search light and guide it another mile beyond putting the practical (and legal range) out beyond 3 miles.

So Mavic at one mile works. I have not found an appropriate place (with good lines of sight) to go further but this test at a mile shows it's only limited by the Mavic C2 ( command and control link) and video stability. Importantly, the new Canadian Aviation Rules (CARs PART IX) does not set a max distance only "VLOS"

900.01 Definitions visual line-of-sight or VLOS means unaided visual contact at all times with a remotely piloted aircraft that is sufficient to be able to maintain control of the aircraft, know its location, and be able to scan the airspace in which it is operating in order to perform the detect and avoid functions in respect of other aircraft or objects. (visibilité directe ou VLOS). Having spoken to Transport Canada folks about this specific issue, it appears that this is known and intentional.

That Flare Stack is (Red Circle) is 4500ft beyond the Mavic (see map below photos). A FOBS standing at the stack would have no difficulty seeing Mavic VLOS, anywhere in the Yellow Circle and provide collision avoidance and traffic advisory. This makes M2E Searchlight an even more valuable addition to the Mavic Mission.

View attachment 67650

View attachment 67652

View attachment 67651
SEE MY THREAD. I'VE BEEN TESTING LIGHTS MYSELF. On overcast days, sitting on my balcony I have a straight VLOS of my aircraft and its light. I keep the aircraft forward facing and the light backward facing the home point. I'm getting a lot of flack about it, but I just don't see how it violates VLOS. I don't believe it does. Florida USA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag