DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic battery calibration

mpa

Reactions
I carnt recall where I read this but the topic was around calibrating the mavic battery, i have a feeling it was a official note from DJI guiding the user to run the drone until it autolands and then fully recharge the battery to calibrate it. It recommended to do this once every month or so.

i have never done this and this is over 10 months since owned the mavic. so my question is:
Does anyone calibrate there batteries? and if so is there are noticeable difference in any way?

reason i ask is I feel as though my batteries are off calibration or lost charge overtime (most likely), since day one i charged my batteries from exactly 50% and gave 23 minutes of charge, it usually sits at 92%, now its up around 95%.

Cheers

Last edited:
Never done it but I'd be interested to know if such an activity would extend flight time.

I carnt recall where I read this but the topic was around calibrating the mavic battery, i have a feeling it was a official note from DJI guiding the user to run the drone until it autolands and then fully recharge the battery to calibrate it. It recommended to do this once every month or so.

i have never done this and this is over 10 months since owned the mavic. so my question is:
Does anyone calibrate there batteries? and if so is there are noticeable difference in any way?

reason i ask is I feel as though my batteries are off calibration or lost charge overtime (most likely), since day one i charged my batteries from exactly 50% and gave 23 minutes of charge, it usually sits at 92%, now its up around 95%.

Cheers

You're probably talking about cycling the batteries every 20 or 30 charges. Its where you run the batteries down to very low levels (5%) before recharging.

Mavic batteries don't need to be cycled.

it usually sits at 92%, now its up around 95%
What exactly do you mean by it sits at x%?

I disagree with the previous comment: "Mavic batteries don't need to be cycled."

From the Mavic Pro Intelligent Battery Safety Guidelines Manual, page 5:

Battery Maintenance
  1. Never over-discharge, as this may lead to battery cell damage.
  2. Battery life may be reduced if not used for a long time.
  3. Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health.

I disagree with the previous comment: "Mavic batteries don't need to be cycled."

From the Mavic Pro Intelligent Battery Safety Guidelines Manual, page 5:

Battery Maintenance
  1. Never over-discharge, as this may lead to battery cell damage.
  2. Battery life may be reduced if not used for a long time.
  3. Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health.
And I disagree with your interpretation of the Mavic Battery Safety Guidelines. Instead of cycling the batteries, make sure you fly each battery at least once every 3 months. Not doing so won't kill the batteries, but they'll last longer with regular use.

We can agree to disagree if you'd like though ;)

I usually end my flights, when the battery's remaining power gets depleted to 20-30%.
(I rarely fly the Mavic below the 30% low battery warning because I hate the controller's constant beeping).
For obvious reasons, routinely flying the Mavic down to a 10% battery level can be hazardous.
I would venture to guess that most operators land the Mavic before reaching the 20% battery level.

While a battery percentage for being fully discharged is not spelled out specifically by DJI,
the sentence in the Mavic Pro Intelligent Battery Safety Guidelines Manual: "Fully charge and discharge the battery"
sounds like discharging the battery to a percentage less than the 20-30% level that most operators will have at the end of their flight.
Probably a good question to ask DJI directly for clarification on what "fully discharge" the battery means.... 8%? 10%? 20%?
For comparison, a fully discharged battery for the Phantom 3 series is closer to 8-10% remaining.

the sentence in the Mavic Pro Intelligent Battery Safety Guidelines Manual: "Fully charge and discharge the battery" sounds like discharging the battery to a percentage less than the 20-30% level that most operators will have at the end of their flight
It can really mean whatever you decide you want it to mean (since it's so vague). As for cycling batteries though, it's not required or beneficial.

It is a poorly written sentence for this purpose. The question is whether the modifier "fully" is referring to charge and / or discharge. I think most people would believe that fully is also referring to discharge, but it can be argued as Msinger is doing, that it is only referring to the charge part. I personally almost always run my drones until I'm forced to land them. I've never had any battery issues so I'm in the belief that that is the proper way to do it.

And I disagree with your interpretation of the Mavic Battery Safety Guidelines. Instead of cycling the batteries, make sure you fly each battery at least once every 3 months. Not doing so won't kill the batteries, but they'll last longer with regular use.

We can agree to disagree if you'd like though ;)

Mavic batteries don't need to be cycled.

What exactly do you mean by it sits at x%?

At 50% i put it on charge for 23 minutes. The final percentage settles at 92%. I do this to prolong the life of the batteries as lithium batteries dont like have a high voltage as this stresses the cells.

Never done it and as above the DJI guide just makes the point that if you do not use a battery for longer than three months then charge and discharge it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista