DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Calibration Requirements

phoenix3

Reactions
This is a newbie question. I just received my Mavic Pro Platinum and I have been founding through countless video tutorials while also reading the latest Owners Manual. My question to the group is; after you “activate your Mavic, should you calibrate everything (compass, IMU, gimbal, etc...) even if the GO4 app is not requesting that you do so?

Reactions: k3vnnyork
My question to the group is; after you “activate your Mavic, should you calibrate everything (compass, IMU, gimbal, etc...) even if the GO4 app is not requesting that you do so?
I would. It doesn't take long to do. Have fun!

Reactions: ssvdh66
Except for the compass yours should've been ready to fly like mine. Just calibrate the compass as the manual says when it is in a distinctively new location, which, fresh from China, most definitely is a new location.

This is a newbie question. I just received my Mavic Pro Platinum and I have been founding through countless video tutorials while also reading the latest Owners Manual. My question to the group is; after you “activate your Mavic, should you calibrate everything (compass, IMU, gimbal, etc...) even if the GO4 app is not requesting that you do so?
No

Except for the compass yours should've been ready to fly like mine. Just calibrate the compass as the manual says when it is in a distinctively new location, which, fresh from China, most definitely is a new location.
The manual doesn’t say that. Unless it’s outdated.

Reactions: DatPilot
The OP was asking about first use after activation. I would calibrate everything whether the app asked for it or not before first use. It is the only way to ensure it is set up properly for your area. It is easy and quick to do. After you fly it and it is working as expected, calibrate when indicated. I have only recalibrated once in months of flying.

If you want the best result when flying. I recommend to find a good place with less metal around. Find a level surface. Do the IMU calibration, then compass calibration, last will be gimbal calibration and you should good to go. If video not level, try to adjust gimbal level in the settings on go 4 app.

These calibrations might have been upset by rough handling in transit, or the mavic box being near something magnetic.
On the other hand if you do compass or IMU incorrectly or in a poor location you might make things (much) worse.
I would look at the sensors screen in the app and see if the IMU looks OK.
You can see the compass there too but it is definitely advisable to calibrate that on first use at your location.

The IMU calibration procedure is best done indoors on a level surface.
With the arms folded the app will give warnings about compass most likely.
For IMU metal nearby is not a concern.
For compass calibration you want to be well away from anything metallic such as vehicles or even rebar in concrete.
Once the compass is done in a good place you probably won't need do it again for many flights unless the app shows it is needed or wandering is noticed.

Compass can be temporarily affected by placing the mavic near metal inadvertently e.g. on a table with metal supports below.
If you get a warning, first move it away from any metal object, don't try to calibrate to 'fix' the compass while you are in this unsuitable place.

Last edited:
The OP was asking about first use after activation. I would calibrate everything whether the app asked for it or not before first use. It is the only way to ensure it is set up properly for your area. It is easy and quick to do. After you fly it and it is working as expected, calibrate when indicated. I have only recalibrated once in months of flying.
And per the manual, you don't do that unless the app asks you to. I would not calibrate anything after activation. The issue is that the craft could be perfectly calibrated, and by doing an unnecessary calibration, you could screw something up. :)

Reactions: Crocket1158
Out of the box before the first flight it is HIGHLY! recommended to do the IMU calibration at least once. Even if there are no indications showing on the app. Many people who don't do this end up having issues later on specifically complaints about abnormal flying and unstable hovering all because they simply skipped over the initial IMU calibration. The reason behind this is that the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) measures and reports data such as angular velocity and attitude (including course angle, pitch angle, and roll angle). Using data provided by the drones accelerometer, gyroscope, thermometer, and barometer. Yes all of these measuring devices work together to determine the status of the aircraft and they all report their data to the IMU. To better understand its intricacies, look into the data measuring units placed inside our drones. Without doing a simple IMU calibration you are risking a lot of these measuring units being unable to communicate and measure effectively. After I received my unit the first thing i did was an IMU calibration, Gimbal calibration, Remote Controller Calibration and Compass. Do this at least once on a level ground without any magnetic interference around and the aircraft should run flawlessly.

I've had my Mavic for year and have never calibrated anything. Flys fine!

The only time mine asks me to calibrate the compass is when it’s sitting near a large metal object, I used to calibrate my compass before each flight then realized how ridiculous it was, now, if it says it’s okay and in the green I don’t, and haven’t done it for months without any problems.

Out of the box before the first flight it is HIGHLY! recommended to do the IMU calibration at least once. Even if there are no indications showing on the app. Many people who don't do this end up having issues later on specifically complaints about abnormal flying and unstable hovering all because they simply skipped over the initial IMU calibration. The reason behind this is that the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) measures and reports data such as angular velocity and attitude (including course angle, pitch angle, and roll angle). Using data provided by the drones accelerometer, gyroscope, thermometer, and barometer. Yes all of these measuring devices work together to determine the status of the aircraft and they all report their data to the IMU. To better understand its intricacies, look into the data measuring units placed inside our drones. Without doing a simple IMU calibration you are risking a lot of these measuring units being unable to communicate and measure effectively. After I received my unit the first thing i did was an IMU calibration, Gimbal calibration, Remote Controller Calibration and Compass. Do this at least once on a level ground without any magnetic interference around and the aircraft should run flawlessly.
The first two statements are opinion passed off as fact.

Who "highly recommends" this? Please post source.

I've had my Mavic for year and have never calibrated anything. Flys fine!

I own two
One wanted a compass calibration out of the box, did that.
The other one has never had any calibrations done to it.
Both work fine.

Last edited:

unrelated. I ordered mine on 11/7 but customer support told me it won't ship until Dec. 12th. How long did you wait for yours?

I purchased my MPP from my local DJI dealer here in Michigan they had

Sorry I inadvertently hit send, my local DJI dealer got 7 in stock but not the Fly more combo. He put together all of the items included in the FMC for the same package price

Reactions: Triple r
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters