DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic case for those that want a smallish backpack - full review

passedpawn

Reactions
Summary
If you're looking for a smallish backpack case for your Mavic, you'll love this pack: the Lykus M1. $59. It is just big enough for what I use. It is NOT big enough for FPV goggles or other large accessories. As a bonus, it's relatively cheap. I originally was planning on getting the Lowepro DroneGuard BP 250. I think that would have been too big for my purposes.​
More review below.​

1566070729172.png
Requirements
  • Backpack for my Mavic 2 pro, and accessories
  • Not large - just big enough for the controller and bird and batteries. Don't wa
  • Didn't care about cost
  • Firm case that would survive getting shoved into an airplane overhead compartment without worrying about contents getting damaged
  • NOT a hardcase
Discussion
The case has three possible ways to be carried. There are metal D-rings all over this thing that couple to the dog-clips on the straps. It's all very sturdy. Unlike some of the crap backpacks I've had in the past, this one was built with some thought. For example, the backpack straps have non-slip material sewn into them so it doesn't want to move around on you.​
  1. No carry strap, where the integrated band on the back is used to couple to rolling luggage handle
  2. Shoulder strap
  3. Backpack straps (how I intend on using it)

1566070142328.png1566070257848.png1566070299912.png1566071780040.png

Stuff does fit in there. The Mavic fits snug in the center compartment. There's a velcro strap to hold it down, though I think it's not necessary. I use a Mavmount 3 with a 7.9" iPad. I don't want to disassemble all of the controller to get it in this bag. It's perfect! I can put the controller with the attached iPad right in there. Don't even have to take the controller knobs off. It appears to have compartments for at least 3 additional batteries, charging cables, etc.​
1566071698175.png1566071890225.png
There are a bunch of pockets on this thing. On the cover, there are overlapping pockets for carrying mostly flat stuff. There are some mesh pockets on the sides to carry water bottle, spent batteries, etc.​
1566072061403.png1566072094090.png1566072129768.png
All the zipper pull tabs are metal, so I think they will not break off and become a problem. The zipper pull tabs on the inside of the bag, on the pockets, have little pockets to go under when they are fully closed, which is a really nice touch - this way, they don't scratch your drone or iPad. One negative: the zippers on the outside of the back clink together when you're wearing it. I might need to put electrical tape around one of them as it's a bit annoying.​
The bag comes with a rain cover. It's held on by elastic edge and a buckle. Not exactly sure how this is meant to be used, but it looks functional. I folded it up and shoved it into one of the pockets - might never use it, but I live in Florida and when it rains here, it RAINS. Best to be err on the side of caution and have it available.​
One last note: although there is ample space for small additional accessories, this bag is too small to accommodate goggles. If you have that intent, move to a larger bag.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Mega Man
I don't use mine with the straps. Makes a great hand carry, sits upright easily, and lies well on the bucket seat in the pick-up. Mine holds the M2P, Smart Controller in the front rounded compartment, 3 batteries + 1 on the drone, chargers, filters and all cables.

Quick and easy to access all the contents.

Reactions: SandiSCE
I got this one, also small and light and cheap at just $30 plus a hard shell case too.

Attachments

• INSIDE CASE.jpg
    INSIDE CASE.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 31
  • CASE.jpg
    CASE.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Van Shteffy
Something I forgot to mention in the revew above: The walls of the pack contain hard foam. It's not a "hard" case, but it seems reasonably crushproof. Until I got this one, I had been using a normal small hiking packpack that had no protection like this. I would feel comfortable shoving this case in an airplane overhead compartment, tossing into a trunk, maybe even checking as luggage (although it's pretty small and satisfies the carry-on size requirements).

I wanted the backpack straps because I have been hiking and biking to filming locations.

Summary
If you're looking for a smallish backpack case for your Mavic, you'll love this pack: the Lykus M1. $59. It is just big enough for what I use. It is NOT big enough for FPV goggles or other large accessories. As a bonus, it's relatively cheap. I originally was planning on getting the Lowepro DroneGuard BP 250. I think that would have been too big for my purposes.​
More review below.​

Requirements
  • Not large - just big enough for the controller and bird and batteries. Don't wa
  • Didn't care about cost
  • Firm case that would survive getting shoved into an airplane overhead compartment without worrying about contents getting damaged
  • NOT a hardcase
Discussion
The case has three possible ways to be carried. There are metal D-rings all over this thing that couple to the dog-clips on the straps. It's all very sturdy. Unlike some of the crap backpacks I've had in the past, this one was built with some thought. For example, the backpack straps have non-slip material sewn into them so it doesn't want to move around on you.​
  1. No carry strap, where the integrated band on the back is used to couple to rolling luggage handle
  2. Shoulder strap

Stuff does fit in there. The Mavic fits snug in the center compartment. There's a velcro strap to hold it down, though I think it's not necessary. I use a Mavmount 3 with a 7.9" iPad. I don't want to disassemble all of the controller to get it in this bag. It's perfect! I can put the controller with the attached iPad right in there. Don't even have to take the controller knobs off. It appears to have compartments for at least 3 additional batteries, charging cables, etc.​
There are a bunch of pockets on this thing. On the cover, there are overlapping pockets for carrying mostly flat stuff. There are some mesh pockets on the sides to carry water bottle, spent batteries, etc.​
All the zipper pull tabs are metal, so I think they will not break off and become a problem. The zipper pull tabs on the inside of the bag, on the pockets, have little pockets to go under when they are fully closed, which is a really nice touch - this way, they don't scratch your drone or iPad. One negative: the zippers on the outside of the back clink together when you're wearing it. I might need to put electrical tape around one of them as it's a bit annoying.​
The bag comes with a rain cover. It's held on by elastic edge and a buckle. Not exactly sure how this is meant to be used, but it looks functional. I folded it up and shoved it into one of the pockets - might never use it, but I live in Florida and when it rains here, it RAINS. Best to be err on the side of caution and have it available.​
One last note: although there is ample space for small additional accessories, this bag is too small to accommodate goggles. If you have that intent, move to a larger bag.​

I have this bag and love it.

I use the Lykus case for my M2Z. Holds the Drone, RC, 2 extra batteries, charger, ND filters, in the main compartment. I place my Crystal Sky and the 2 CS batteries in the sleeve of the flap. The other compartments hold extra props and cables.

The one mod i did was to add a pouch for my CS mount. Works better than trying to fit it inside the case. Too bulky, doesn't fold flat. My mount has the DJI CS quick connect. I hang it off the side of the bag. Picture below, the bigger one holds my mount and lanyard nicely.

1566591843914.png

Summary
More review below.​

Requirements
  • Didn't care about cost
  • NOT a hardcase
Discussion
  2. Shoulder strap

I have that case. I love it, it can be configured in many ways. It also with comes with a rain cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: passedpawn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000