DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Controller USB Burned Out!

ricks_v

Reactions
I was charging my controller as normal through the provided charger usb port and usb cable, next thing i started smelling something was burning, then I found out the controller USB port and cable has melted as per photo.

My controller is still working to control the mavc but it cannot be charged anymore (50%battery remaining)

Can someone advise if this should be covered under warranty? (it wasn't a misuse of the product and i think it's just faulty controller)

I have contacted DJI but they mentioned that my mavic is product of North America and I need to send my mavic to North America distributor.
I live in Indonesia and it's going to take long time and cost money to post it to NA.

I have also contacted the shop that i bought from in indonesia, they said it's physical damage and it may not be covered under warranty. and if they help claim warranty, it may take up to 6 months and they will have to take and keep my whole mavic box for 6 months..

is there anyone selling their controller?
What should i do? can someone advise please.. thanks..

Attachments

• 20170215_124718 (1).jpg
    20170215_124718 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
I am so sorry ricks_v, it should be covered under warranty, but they do sell controllers for US $399.
Regards,
-d.

Um, I'm a little confused -- you live in Indonesia and have to send the controller to the US?? Something doesn't sound right. My Mavic came straight from DJI in China.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I was charging my controller as normal through the provided charger usb port and usb cable, next thing i started smelling something was burning, then I found out the controller USB port and cable has melted as per photo.

My controller is still working to control the mavc but it cannot be charged anymore (50%battery remaining)

Can someone advise if this should be covered under warranty? (it wasn't a misuse of the product and i think it's just faulty controller)

I have contacted DJI but they mentioned that my mavic is product of North America and I need to send my mavic to North America distributor.
I live in Indonesia and it's going to take long time and cost money to post it to NA.

I have also contacted the shop that i bought from in indonesia, they said it's physical damage and it may not be covered under warranty. and if they help claim warranty, it may take up to 6 months and they will have to take and keep my whole mavic box for 6 months..

is there anyone selling their controller?
What should i do? can someone advise please.. thanks..
Firstly, the Vcc and the Vdd ports appears to have shorted, either in the wire or the controller itself. I'm betting it happened on the plug itself which destroyed the controller. Because this was a DJI issued cord, I hope, you are covered under warranty. Nextly, if you purchased in Indonesia, then the warranty should be there. Did you activate it in NA? Raise hell with DJI over this.

Really sorry to hear what happened.
If you have the money and really want to get your mavic up and running ASAP I suggest you first order a new one from DJI right now.
You can work the warranty stuff out while your new controller Is on the way. Worst case scenerio you end up getting no help from DJI on the warranty but at least you will be flying again soon. Best case you get a warranty replacement and you just sell one of them on eBay or on the forum.

Rob

Reactions: Flycaster
thanks guys for all the prompt responses. I did contact DJI and provided the serial number, this is how they identified my mavic is product of NA (Yea it's strange how the local shop i bought from got the NA product instead of china or any other closer region)

i think i'm gona get a new controller so i can fly this bird again for over 50m distance - I've been using my mobile to control it (I always worry about app crashing or losing connection when using mobile only)

I'm gonna also try ask some local drone shop if they can get it fixed fairly easily (maybe replace usb port or somehow bypass the usb port charger). if not then, i'll try the warranty claim through the shop or dji directly..

Thanks again for the answers, will keep posted how i go with the warranty claim / fixing RC

Can I ask how you got on with this issue rick_v? I'm interested because I've just had a similar problem almost straight out of the box where the DJI supplied controller to iPhone cable heated up so much it melted at the phone end. DJI have requested both the cable and controller to be returned for inspection.

Attachments

• lightning cable plug.jpg
    lightning cable plug.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member