DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic down in the water

I fly over water a lot and I almost always fly with a float kit. However even with a float kit I like to have a getterback as well. This way if it crashed and for some reason it lost 2 floats (it will float upside down with 3) and sank the getterback bobber would float on the water with 100 foot of 10lb line attached to the drone. Boat or swim to it and pull it up.

Mike

Reactions: Bergumbira
Hello, i had a problem cloth to yours just after update, to you know what was the reason of your crash exactly?

I was flying over a reservoir taking a video, when everything just started spinning and dropping.
Here's the video

I have DJI Care Refresh, but I don't have high hopes that they will replace it. After reading a few threads on here I'm losing hope.

Does anybody have a clue what might have happened? Do you think I have a chance with DJI, getting a replacement?

I tried uploading the flight log (.csv file) and it says its not allowed to upload. Is this the right file?
WHOA!! WTF was that!! What is DJI saying

I just got great news from DJI! Here's the email:
For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic Pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.
----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.
For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer the serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it). (it might start with 08WJE)
And may I know when you place the order, do you want to ship the aircraft to the US?
Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and messages.
What I've learned from this experience is that I'll be buying or building flotation for my new Mavic!
THATS FANTASTIC!!! Good job DJI thats how to keep people coming back for more!!! Excellent news

Looks like a prop popped off, this is why I avoid flying over water. It happens too often!
So you say than a proppler can break without any reason during a fly? If yes it s mean that everybody can loose is drone at anytime?
For me i had a problem cloth to that but the mavic fall a first time time, comeback to normal for 40seconde then fall a second time, deffinitly this time...
Here is my crash;
Mavic crash after update

Reactions: k3vnnyork
I was flying over a reservoir taking a video, when everything just started spinning and dropping.
Here's the video

I have DJI Care Refresh, but I don't have high hopes that they will replace it. After reading a few threads on here I'm losing hope.

Does anybody have a clue what might have happened? Do you think I have a chance with DJI, getting a replacement?

I tried uploading the flight log (.csv file) and it says its not allowed to upload. Is this the right file?
I think the consensus of losing a whole prop is probably right, she just starts to snap spin straight away so you lost lift on the side opposite your spin, if it was a bird she would have been "pushed" sideways or down I'm guessing plus a good chance of seeing the bird or a few feathers hopefully lol. sorry for your loss man it happened to me 6 months ago turned into a submarine, although mine was my own stupidity, ( don't
fly under really really low bridges like 12 inches )

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Looks like either a bird attack or one or more of the motors stopped. That was pretty abrupt!

Here's the video

Check out "Getterback" online. I have one attached to my drone. Shoots out 100ft of Kevlar line that floats to the surface if your drone takes the plunge.

For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic Pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.
----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.
For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer the serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it). (it might start with 08WJE)
And may I know when you place the order, do you want to ship the aircraft to the US?
Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and messages.
What I've learned from this experience is that I'll be buying or building flotation for my new Mavic!

Last edited:
If you retrieve the drone and send it to DJI, they will cover it under Refresh. If you dont retrieve it, you will have to prove a manufacturing defect caused the crash. Looks like a prop spun off.
i found a thing called a "Getter Back". It's a float that attached to your fishing rod so when you drop your rod in the water it pops out a float on a 100 foot line so you can get your rod and reel back. I bought two and put them both on the rear legs of my Mavic as I fly over water at least 70% of the time. I want to get my Mavic back so the Refresh will be valid.

Reactions: Former Member

Awesome! Great job DJI. I now have more confidence to buy your products. -Thanks for doing the right thing.

i found a thing called a "Getter Back". It's a float that attached to your fishing rod so when you drop your rod in the water it pops out a float on a 100 foot line so you can get your rod and reel back. I bought two and put them both on the rear legs of my Mavic as I fly over water at least 70% of the time. I want to get my Mavic back so the Refresh will be valid.

Good idea.

Check out "Getterback" online. I have one attached to my drone. Shoots out 100ft of Kevlar line that floats to the surface if your drone takes the plunge.
Remember that the GetterBack requires the water to be at least 6 feet deep. I read of at least one incident where the water wasn't deep enough to activate the GetterBack.

There has also been at least one case where the GetterBack deployed in the air and the line got tangled in the props and brought the Mavic down.

Re Mavic Down in the Water and State Farm Insurance.

New poster here. First of all, I am very sorry for the loss of your Mavic. I am a new Mavic owner and after reading about State Farm on this forum I contacted 4 different SF agencies in my area (Houston, TX). All 4 told me the same thing. They will not provide independent coverage on my drone unless I have a homeowners policy or something similar. I have even considered contacting a district office for further clarification.

Good luck on your follow-up with DJI. I hope they come through for you.

Sportking

Re Mavic Down in the Water and State Farm Insurance.

New poster here. First of all, I am very sorry for the loss of your Mavic. I am a new Mavic owner and after reading about State Farm on this forum I contacted 4 different SF agencies in my area (Houston, TX). All 4 told me the same thing. They will not provide independent coverage on my drone unless I have a homeowners policy or something similar. I have even considered contacting a district office for further clarification.

Good luck on your follow-up with DJI. I hope they come through for you.

Sportking
Welcome to the Mavic world!

Check out the spreadsheet link below. There are several agents listed in TX and all report that no homeowners policy is needed to get the Personal Articles Policy that covers the Mavic and any other associated equipment.

Edit: Dang, forgot the link again.
State Farm UAS Agents

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne