DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic down in the water

I was flying over a reservoir taking a video, when everything just started spinning and dropping.
Here's the video

I have DJI Care Refresh, but I don't have high hopes that they will replace it. After reading a few threads on here I'm losing hope.

Does anybody have a clue what might have happened? Do you think I have a chance with DJI, getting a replacement?

I tried uploading the flight log (.csv file) and it says its not allowed to upload. Is this the right file?
Looks like a prop problem to me. Whenever I fly over water I attach a getterback float.

I just got great news from DJI! Here's the email:
For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic Pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.
----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.
For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer the serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it). (it might start with 08WJE)
And may I know when you place the order, do you want to ship the aircraft to the US?
Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and messages.
What I've learned from this experience is that I'll be buying or building flotation for my new Mavic!
That reminded me to archive a set of photos for my MP for future reference. Thanks, I would assume that by placing a "new" order for the replacement MP would lead to a brand new one vs. a referb for a "refresh" case, too.

I had a getter back tangle in my props dropping a p2v onto a mountain side.

If you use one inspect it to make sure it's not coming apart, probably it got damaged in my luggage, but it was bad enough that I chose state farm instead of getter back for the mavic, since the mavic stuffs into luggage too, high chance of a repeat for me.

So you say than a proppler can break without any reason during a fly? If yes it s mean that everybody can loose is drone at anytime?
For me i had a problem cloth to that but the mavic fall a first time time, comeback to normal for 40seconde then fall a second time, deffinitly this time...
Here is my crash;
Mavic crash after update

Yeah, it's the nature of the sport really. Hence why there's guidelines not to fly in certain areas, above people, etc.

It looked like there was a very small side movement before it began the fatal spin. Hit by a bird would be my guess.
I wouldn't think a bird. Have you ever seen the video on yourtube of the people that abuse the mavic? Like throw basketballs at it and it still flies after being hit? Not saying it's not possible - but a stopped motor or prop flyoff is more likely.

I am a new Mavic owner and after reading about State Farm on this forum I contacted 4 different SF agencies in my area (Houston, TX). All 4 told me the same thing. They will not provide independent coverage on my drone unless I have a homeowners policy or something similar. I have even considered contacting a district office for further clarification.

The first thing I bought after purchasing my MP is the State Farm policy. I've even added an Osmo+ and all of my spare batteries/filters/other accessories to the policy, too.

Admittedly I'm in Utah and not Texas, but the agent I called (who wasn't on the spreadsheet but was close by) wrote the policy and I have no other business with State Farm. The same goes for the two friends who have since purchase Mavics and whom I sent to this agent.

I'm actually a claims adjuster for another insurer by profession, and I was shocked at how short (and therefore how broad) the coverage form is. It covers virtually anything, is full replacement cost, and has no deductible.

I was flying over a reservoir taking a video, when everything just started spinning and dropping.
Here's the video

I have DJI Care Refresh, but I don't have high hopes that they will replace it. After reading a few threads on here I'm losing hope.

Does anybody have a clue what might have happened? Do you think I have a chance with DJI, getting a replacement?

I tried uploading the flight log (.csv file) and it says its not allowed to upload. Is this the right file?
41agY4fjU1L.jpg

About 35 usd....

THATS FANTASTIC!!! Good job DJI thats how to keep people coming back for more!!! Excellent news
No, that is not the good news...
The good news will be once you post here that you fly above water with floats...

41agY4fjU1L.jpg

About 35 usd....
great for landing but those just fly off in a crash. Few videos on you tube showing people losing their balls in a crash. That combined with the legs snapping in a crash i dont think the balls would be much of a help other than marking the spot where it sank.

Seems like this is happening more often if it is the props that are the issue. I have seen quite a few threads and/or posts recently where 1 of the 3 prongs on the props were just completely missing. Since I have started seeing more of this I have started to take off my props and check that all 3 prongs are intact before flying. Sorry for your loss and I hope you get a replacement! Also check out State Farm Personal Articles Policy for your next drone. I stayed far away from care refresh and went with State Farm. $60 a year, full coverage (even if drone is not recovered) and $0 deductible. You can put up to $5000 total in items or accessories under tho policy as well for the $60 a year.

Great advice, I feel better flying with the PAP because you don't know what could happen.

Reactions: Mavic_Pete
great for landing but those just fly off in a crash. Few videos on you tube showing people losing their balls in a crash. That combined with the legs snapping in a crash i dont think the balls would be much of a help other than marking the spot where it sank.
I totally agree.. But for those who are normally landing (in unexpected behavior or end of battery) it will work.
If the parachute system was around 150 instead of 350 I will extend my safety behavior and set one...

Welcome to the club. Sorry for your loss.

My Mavic dropped from the sky into a dam during a climb. 100% full lift, no other controls in play, spun uselessly into the water - $1700aud gone.
These things are rubbish.
I just got great news from DJI! Here's the email:
For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic Pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.
----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.
For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer the serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it). (it might start with 08WJE)
And may I know when you place the order, do you want to ship the aircraft to the US?
Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and messages.
What I've learned from this experience is that I'll be buying or building flotation for my new Mavic!
This great. My mavic did the same things yesterday I lost it pacifica ocean. please help how did you process thru dji refresh?

Last edited:
I like flying over water and this post makes me shudder - total nightmare. Although really pleased the refresh thing came through!

My question is ....
Is anyone using floats that they think would survive / stay attached after a crash like this?

There are videos on YouTube of people cutting off half of one of the props and the mavic still having a stable flight this looks like something either hit it or maybe one of the props completely flew off it wasnt loss of power because it recorded the beginning of the death fall I still got money on the bird theory.

Well this may be true. If you lose an entire prop it’s going down. It’s happened to me twice now. This is why always say I hate Mavic props. They’re supposed to be easy. Which they are but there can be a time where they don’t lock in and they feel like they are. When I put new props on I double and triple check that they are locked. And it still happened to me. It’s happened to me at least twice. All of a sudden it drops out of the sky. It’s really scary. If they would just put the self tightening props like the phantoms, we would never have this problem. I’ve had one for sure where the little Locking tab snapped inside the motor and the props went flying off that loader and my mavic flipped a few times on its way down.

I like flying over water and this post makes me shudder - total nightmare. Although really pleased the refresh thing came through!

My question is ....
Is anyone using floats that they think would survive / stay attached after a crash like this?

When I had my phantom I did not have a single worry flying over water. With the Mavic I don’t do it. I did it once and I am just terrified every time I go over water that I’m going to lose a prop and it’s going to go down. After having it happen a couple times to be falling into the yard. I’m terrified it’s going to happen over water

This great. My mavic did the same things yesterday I lost it pacifica ocean. please help how did you process thru dji refresh?

See. I was saying this was my number one thing I would change about the Mavic is these props. Everyone was biting my head off saying that they’re much better than the phantoms. But they are not. There are so many people have problems with them coming off. Every day I wish I got a phantom 4. I would be getting so many awesome shots over the water. I love my Mavic but I don’t love the way the props attach.

The first thing I bought after purchasing my MP is the State Farm policy. I've even added an Osmo+ and all of my spare batteries/filters/other accessories to the policy, too.

Admittedly I'm in Utah and not Texas, but the agent I called (who wasn't on the spreadsheet but was close by) wrote the policy and I have no other business with State Farm. The same goes for the two friends who have since purchase Mavics and whom I sent to this agent.

I'm actually a claims adjuster for another insurer by profession, and I was shocked at how short (and therefore how broad) the coverage form is. It covers virtually anything, is full replacement cost, and has no deductible.
would you mind sending me PM with your agents contact info? I am also in UT and need to get coverage. I'll PM you first. Thanks.

how long it takes dji to ship your mavic to you after they identify you are approve for replacement?

See. I was saying this was my number one thing I would change about the Mavic is these props. Everyone was biting my head off saying that they’re much better than the phantoms. But they are not. There are so many people have problems with them coming off. Every day I wish I got a phantom 4. I would be getting so many awesome shots over the water. I love my Mavic but I don’t love the way the props attach.

There is no reason you should have to be terrified when flying anywhere, that just sucks. Get a policy through State Farm and put your mind at ease....It’s cheap, and gives you that peace of mind that if something does happen, your Mavic will be replaced, even without recovery. I was super paranoid when I first started flying my Mavic, anywhere, not just over water. Once I got the policy, I could relax and have fun. I didn’t feel the need to baby it anymore.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Welcome to the Mavic world!

Check out the spreadsheet link below. There are several agents listed in TX and all report that no homeowners policy is needed to get the Personal Articles Policy that covers the Mavic and any other associated equipment.

Edit: Dang, forgot the link again.
State Farm UAS Agents
Thank you for your response and your information on State Farm contact information in Texas. I would like to insure my MP and P3P in addition to some camer equipment I own. Thank you again for your info!

Sportking

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d