DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Down :(

Surcharge

Reactions
Well after weeks of waiting I finally got my mavic, flew it once outside then brought it inside for a quick flight. Flying it in my 2 story foyer with no problems when it flew past the dividing wall it stopped and flew itself into the railing it was about 8' from the floor but it did some serious damage from what I see all four blades are done and the gimbel ripped off it looks like the ribbon cable is done also. Long story short how do I get this fixed I email DJI 4 days ago with no response yet, I don't have that insurance that everyone is talking about please help I need to get her back up asap TY everyone.
Jimmy

pilot error, you killed your drone.
I guess you can always drop by your local stores and pickup another Mavic?

Well after weeks of waiting I finally got my mavic, flew it once outside then brought it inside for a quick flight. Flying it in my 2 story foyer with no problems when it flew past the dividing wall it stopped and flew itself into the railing it was about 8' from the floor but it did some serious damage from what I see all four blades are done and the gimbel ripped off it looks like the ribbon cable is done also. Long story short how do I get this fixed I email DJI 4 days ago with no response yet, I don't have that insurance that everyone is talking about please help I need to get her back up asap TY everyone.
Jimmy
Hey Jimmy,

I'm really sorry to hear about the crash. I know how horrible it feels. Flying indoor can be treacherous. At this point it sounds like your best bet will be to return the Mavic to DJI for repairs. I had luck when I called the support number and I recommend you try that. You'll probably have to pay for the repair but maybe they'll be nice about it. GOOD LUCK!

Not that I've tried, but... I'm reading a lot about crashes happening indoors. I love my mavic, but these guys aren't doing so well inside. I'm assuming it has to do with the OA system and it needs to be shut down before flying inside.

So the "OA" is forcing maneuvers not possible for the space? Funny because I have a Split Foyer too and would most certainly want to fly it throughout my house. You know, on rainy days.....:rolleyes:
I will investigate further and see if everyone is in fact turning it off, the OA that is.

Oh, please post a follow-up to how much the damage cost are fro the individual items to repair. And how you go about it and through who please. Might be a nice idea to have a sticky with complete parts lists and cost to repair. One of the moderators could start that for you.

I really hope I don't need to buy insurance..............

Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: Lee Hughes
Did you have rear flying enabled. I have had the mavic start flying backwards when it perceived something and luckily it didn't crash but it could be the culprit here. I believe that feature needs to be disabled as I don't trust it.

I have had many drones and never had any issues, They stress this one has all these sensors etc etc. As far as everyone saying they should not be flown inside you maybe right but I didn't think that it would start tracking backwards and not let me fly out of it on my own... It maybe "user error" but I can't see how it would "backup" without sensors behind it.
I have this abandon smoke stack that I used to fly my phantom 3 into with no problems, the mavic would definitely do some crazy stuff once it drops down in to the tube... I did not know you can turn these sensors off but why would you if they worked right? I do understand 9 out of 10 times it would save you but its a shame I found the flaw on my second flight...

Now the important stuff I don't care about trying to get this repaired free of charge thats not why I told everyone how it happened I just want it repaired ill pay no worries just needed direction on how to get that done.

Jimmy~

I have had many drones and never had any issues, They stress this one has all these sensors etc etc. As far as everyone saying they should not be flown inside you maybe right but I didn't think that it would start tracking backwards and not let me fly out of it on my own... It maybe "user error" but I can't see how it would "backup" without sensors behind it.
I have this abandon smoke stack that I used to fly my phantom 3 into with no problems, the mavic would definitely do some crazy stuff once it drops down in to the tube... I did not know you can turn these sensors off but why would you if they worked right? I do understand 9 out of 10 times it would save you but its a shame I found the flaw on my second flight...

Now the important stuff I don't care about trying to get this repaired free of charge thats not why I told everyone how it happened I just want it repaired ill pay no worries just needed direction on how to get that done.

Jimmy~

Yea Jimmy,
I agree and think from what I've seen online that indoors is quite possible, and with favorable results. It is certainly small enough to fly inside, but perhaps there are just physical limits to the sensors. It's possible that the space in an average sized foyer, as we learned, at your cost unfortunately, is not adequate. I also agree that if it has sensors and they can be turned off that there must be a pretty good reason.

And yea, at this point I am with you 110%, in that all you want is it fixed. I have been in your position before, waiting or something, then something failing and causing a lapse. Real heartbreaking to say the least. Obviously anything can be fixed. It's the down time that's the killer. Almost like you need a second one to keep the high going while the other is being repaired. DOH!

Rob

Not that I've tried, but... I'm reading a lot about crashes happening indoors. I love my mavic, but these guys aren't doing so well inside. I'm assuming it has to do with the OA system and it needs to be shut down before flying inside.
No. Not at all. I have found it has to do with lighting and the nature of the floor surface. You need bright lights and a surface that has character. If it is a very plain surface, the Mavic can't use visible clues for staying in place.

So the "OA" is forcing maneuvers not possible for the space? Funny because I have a Split Foyer too and would most certainly want to fly it throughout my house. You know, on rainy days.....:rolleyes:
I will investigate further and see if everyone is in fact turning it off, the OA that is.

Oh, please post a follow-up to how much the damage cost are fro the individual items to repair. And how you go about it and through who please. Might be a nice idea to have a sticky with complete parts lists and cost to repair. One of the moderators could start that for you.

I really hope I don't need to buy insurance..............

Thanks,
Rob
I don't think it is the OA. I leave that on. Mostly light and nature of flooring.

I don't think it is the OA. I leave that on. Mostly light and nature of flooring.

Interesting. I guess I can see that being a viable excuse. Again, I have zero experience and have not done all my homework yet. I am such a newb here so I could be way off base. I suppose night flying outside is out then? I live in the country and it gets pretty dark up there. Was looking forward to drone selfies around the pool at summer parties at night.

Every single night I sit on my couch staring at my Mavic on the coffee table and feel an incredible urge to fire it up and fly it around the living room.

And then I read this forum and remember why I resist that temptation. Indoor flights never end well.

Reactions: magsta
Interesting. I guess I can see that being a viable excuse. Again, I have zero experience and have not done all my homework yet. I am such a newb here so I could be way off base. I suppose night flying outside is out then? I live in the country and it gets pretty dark up there. Was looking forward to drone selfies around the pool at summer parties at
Interesting. I guess I can see that being a viable excuse. Again, I have zero experience and have not done all my homework yet. I am such a newb here so I could be way off base. I suppose night flying outside is out then? I live in the country and it gets pretty dark up there. Was looking forward to drone selfies around the pool at summer parties at night.
Not at all. Much safer out of doors. You just need to keep the drone away from obstacles and be prepared- Always- for manual control in case it is needed. GPS will work regardless of lighting. GPS generally doesn't work indoors which is why lighting is so important.
night.

Every single night I sit on my couch staring at my Mavic on the coffee table and feel an incredible urge to fire it up and fly it around the living room.

And then I read this forum and remember why I resist that temptation. Indoor flights never end well.
Haha. I've flown indoors quite a bit. It is always nerve wracking but as long as you are 100% prepared for manual control and you keep away from damaging obstacles, it's doable and fun. The key for me is to have ALL the lights on and to be sure after takeoff that there is no drift. If I see any drift, I land and re-launch. I agree with other poster - I do NOT allow backward flying. Just braking for obstacle avoidance.

The backward flying setting refers to if it's tracking you [I thought].
That is you might not want it too back up while not in direct control because there's no OA to the rear.
There is a setting in OA which allows it to try go sideways or over an obstacle rather than just stop.
I think indoors there are so many potential obstacles it probably needs turning off.

Reactions: Andrew F
as you are 100% prepared for manual control
The problem is that you cannot be as you can't force manual control on the Mavic. It is the one taking the decisions, and if it starts drifting due to bad downward vision or catching a weak GPS signal but still thinks everything okay it won't let you do a thing but watch... And there have been several demonstrations of that.

Indoor flying is always a gamble I wouldn't do.

The problem is that you cannot be as you can't force manual control on the Mavic. ....................... And there have been several demonstrations of that.

Indoor flying is always a gamble I wouldn't do.

Can you explain to the new guy why you can't turn off the auto pilot and take "manual" control at any given time?
Thanks,
Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams