DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic failed (mid-air shutdown)

gusri.candra

Reactions
Hi Pilots,

Just curious if any of you experienced or heard Mavic failed during mid flight.
Although mavic has been quite successful, I'm still a bit worry for the safety of its flight.

Thank,

Hi Pilots,

Although mavic has been quite successful, I'm still a bit worry for the safety of its flight.

Thank,
The Mavic is a very safe and reliable drone. Catastrophic technical defects can happen with any flying object, even a passenger jet or a bird flying over your head and getting a heart attack...

The documented cases of mavic simply falling out of the sky that I've read all appear to or are suspected to stem from the battery NOT being installed correctly. (1 click instead of 2)

Reactions: EDDY
Hi Pilots,

Thank,

Just do a google search: "Mavic fall/fell from sky" and you'll find what you're looking for. Does this mean you should not fly? NO! There are many reasons why an r/c aircraft fails during flight. As long as you've done your pre-flight checks (visual inspection of aircraft, have stable working go4 app, no interference warnings, home point acquired, fully charged battery, etc., etc), you should be good to go. Does this mean you'll NEVER experience failure? NO! There is always a chance something could go wrong. Performing pre-flight checks reduces that chance of failure. I, and many, many others, have been able to enjoy our Mavic with little to no issues at all....but doesn't mean we have perfect Mavics.

My suggestion: Perform proper pre-flight checks, fly in a wide open area with little to no one around and enjoy your Mavic! It's okay to worry a bit...as this will make you a fly cautiously and safely.

Compared with other DJI products (phantom series mainly), the Mavic has the advantage of having the battery on top.
As said previously, if the battery is not correctly snapped on, you might have a full shutdown. The Phantom series, with its rear-mounted batteries, have a larger probability of the battery falling off the bird.
Naturally, if you have corroded or otherwise lack of good electric contacts between the battery and the Mavic, it can happen.

Thank for you all.. We might need to release the battery if Mavic is stored for quite long to prevent loose contact.

We see a lot of those...
We do?

I've only flown my battery under 10% single time, and that was an emergency when I lost connectivity with the mavic in a high wind situation, and it drifted out over the ocean, and by the time I was able to being her back it was at 8% battery. Every other time I make it a point to land with more than 20%.

I'm just flabbergasted that there are people that would routinely fly their Mavics below 10%.

Reactions: EDDY and ScubaBob
I developed the habit of letting my Mavic hover for 30 seconds after launch, at 1m altitude.

During that time I listen for unusual prop or motor noise, check battery health on the app and visually confirm that my bird is fit for flight.

I figure if no problems occur during this first half minute, chances are good that the rest of the flight will be uneventful too...

I developed the habit of letting my Mavic hover for 30 seconds after launch, at 1m altitude.

During that time I listen for unusual prop or motor noise, check battery health on the app and visually confirm that my bird is fit for flight.

I figure if no problems occur during this first half minute, chances are good that the rest of the flight will be uneventful too...
That's a good startup procedure. I would just recommend that if you use precision landing you let it hover at 10m so it can get a picture of the launch site.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech