DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic floating up and down?

Chun

Reactions
First off I am new to the mavic,I have owned my mavic about a week with many flights(other 5 drones not moved since, love this thing). This evening ,flying as the sun is going down, I have it hovering in front of me and starts floating up and down as much as 4 to 5 feet. I am aware that sensors stop working in low light. But did not expect so much movement with 15 sats. At one point I thaught it was landing on its own then it just lifted up to about 5 ft.Just wandering if this has happened to anyone else. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Could be the temperature of the barometric pressure sensor equalizing with the ambient temp. Seems a little excessive though.

Would that be a broad issue or just with mine? And would you recommend returning it while I still can for another one?
Thanks

Would that be a broad issue or just with mine? And would you recommend returning it while I still can for another one?
Thanks

Did you happen to update the firmware? if yes, to what version, thankz..

I had the same problem the a few nights ago. I was flying around on dusk and all was fine. Take off was smooth, the aircraft was locked in tight and it was not moving at all. As the light became weaker it started to float and drift. As I was guiding it in and around trees to its landing zone it would drift up to approximately 2ft. Wind was picking up but nothing to cause the variations I observed. It was quite fun but the difference was noticeable.

I believe the Mavic Pro uses its's Visual Positioning System (VPS) to hold it steady during low altitude hover and gentle maneuvers. My only explanation for the variations I suffered would be the fact the light was becoming weaker and the system was not as effective, hence a bit of drift.

This hapoens to me sometimes but not by that much and only under certain conditions especially if i have VPS off

Mine will drop a foot or so rise up drop rise up. It has done this on all Fw but only under certain conditions like i said over water VPS off it drifts less sideways but vertically mine moved very slowly ascending descrnding.

Scary when it hapoens especially in tight spaces and low sat lock anything under 11 sats she is not stable at all. Shows gps lock etc but flies more like in a kind if mini atti mode

Now i have 600 FW and can cancel auto land i will pit VPS back on and see what hapoens

First off I am new to the mavic,I have owned my mavic about a week with many flights(other 5 drones not moved since, love this thing). This evening ,flying as the sun is going down, I have it hovering in front of me and starts floating up and down as much as 4 to 5 feet. I am aware that sensors stop working in low light. But did not expect so much movement with 15 sats. At one point I thaught it was landing on its own then it just lifted up to about 5 ft.Just wandering if this has happened to anyone else. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
At the very least, calibrate the compass, but I would recommend a full IMU, OA sensors & compass calibration.

Did the last update when prompted to.
App 4.0.6
Version 01.03.0600

Mine has done the same today....as well as Active Track mode being all over the place....updated to .600 last night. I will be rolling back to .500 tomorrow.

At the very least, calibrate the compass, but I would recommend a full IMU, OA sensors & compass calibration.
Yes I will do that tomorrow. Just as regandustand said this started during flight, stable as always then starts floating.

Yeah with out a doubt I reckon its the VPS. Satellites alone would never be able to keep it locked in as tight as it normally performs.

I only ever noticed the drift when light levels get low / dark. Was great fun when my incident occurred. Good little challenge.

Calibrating the sensors will help reduce it a lot.

I know the mavic uses vps to be so stable but I did expect more out of just GPS and glonass positioning. Don't curse me, but my solo with mro GPS is more stable and has no sensors. I know the mavic is superior in every way. I am just a solo fan,and like to tinker . Anyway, I calibrated imu and comp, flew mavic this evening in day light, vps on and it didn't move an inch. Without vps kind felt like I was flying my Bebop 1( Bebop 2 is bad ***)
Thanks for everyone's info I do appreciate all the administrators and known members taking time to educate people like myself.

Reactions: regandunstan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB