DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Fly-Away

So still no luck finding ths drone ? Have you managed to get onto all of the rooftops in the crash area ???

What some people seem to be doing is getting another drone pilot to search the crash site ...

I did get up on the rooftops where the crash was indicated and came up empty. Very strange. I have a phantom 3 standard (got it off craigslist cheap, to learn on while waiting for the mavic). It's just that I'm a little afraid about taking off from the streets in brooklyn. My roof is too far off from the crash site to launch from with the p3s. Perhaps I can build up the confidence tomorrow to make the flight.

If you've never flown a drone before, get yourself a Phantom 3 Standard at 400 dollars and learn on that. Learn to fly it without the aid of all the automated modes. Once you can handle that one fine, move up to the Mavic. I think the Mavic is a bit much for a first drone.

Thanks, I have considered that and very well may. I travel A LOT, AND I'm just really intrigued by the portability of the Mavic.

But regardless of anyone's skill and experience level, it sure SEEMS like users are having some really tough luck with the Mavic. Is it just too new of a product?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Can I just also ask at the mid point of your flight is when it really starts to go wrong with :

10m 45.3s Go Home 16satellites 392.7ft 5.3mph 2,737.9ft 48% 11.345V 3.782V 3.782V 3.782V 0V Downlink Restored (after 0m 1s)
10m 47.1s Go Home 16satellites 392.7ft 4.6mph 2,750.1ft 48% 11.345V 3.782V 3.782V 3.782V 0V Downlink Restored (after 0m 1.4s)
10m 53.6s Go Home 16satellites 392.4ft 3.3mph 2,786.3ft 47% 11.352V 3.784V 3.784V 3.784V 0V Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block.
10m 55.3s Go Home 16satellites 392.7ft 2.4mph 2,792.1ft 47% 11.352V 3.784V 3.784V 3.784V 0V Downlink Restored (after 0m 1.6s)
10m 55.6s Go Home 16satellites 392.7ft 2.2mph 2,793.1ft 47% 11.352V 3.784V 3.784V 3.784V 0V Not Allowed to Switch Aircraft Mode. If needed, enable it in Main Controller Settings.
11m 0.5s Go Home 15satellites 392.4ft 2.3mph 2,809.1ft 47% 11.348V 3.783V 3.783V 3.783V 0V Downlink Restored (after 0m 1.4s)
11m 4s Go Home 16satellites 392.1ft 1.7mph 2,818.2ft 46% 11.317V 3.772V 3.772V 3.772V 0V Not Allowed to Switch Aircraft Mode. If needed, enable it in Main Controller Settings.
11m 6.8s Go Home 16satellites 392.4ft 1.8mph 2,825.0ft 46% 11.343V 3.781V 3.781V 3.781V 0V Not Allowed to Switch Aircraft Mode. If needed, enable it in Main Controller Settings.
12m 7.1s Go Home 16satellites 391.4ft 4.8mph 2,424.0ft 46% 11.343V 3.781V 3.781V 3.781V 0V Downlink Restored (after 0m 57.8s); Strong Interference to Aircraft. Signal interruption may be more likely. Fly with caution.; Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block.
12m 8.7s Go Home 16satellites 391.1ft 4.2mph 2,415.1ft 40% 11.358V 3.786V 3.786V 3.786V 0V Strong Interference to Aircraft. Signal interruption may be more likely. Fly with caution.
12m 8.9s Go Home 16satellites 391.1ft 4.4mph 2,413.9ft 40% 11.358V 3.786V 3.786V 3.786V 0V Not Allowed to Switch Aircraft Mode. If needed, enable it in Main Controller Settings.

14m 34.5s P-GPS 17satellites 393.0ft 3.4mph 2,064.0ft 24% 11.322V 3.774V 3.774V 3.774V 0V The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now.

Why did you not turn for home at this point ??

There are a few more after this but why didn't you just switch to map view and turn the mavic towards the home point and fly the compass line back to the home point ??

Plus you are 455 feet off the ground it is possible that the wind at this height is much stronger than 55 feet.

What version of the firmware are you running and which go app ?
What's the legal height limit in the US for flying UAVs? Here in Canada it's 300' AGL

Thanks, I have considered that and very well may. I travel A LOT, AND I'm just really intrigued by the portability of the Mavic.

But regardless of anyone's skill and experience level, it sure SEEMS like users are having some really tough luck with the Mavic. Is it just too new of a product?

I think it may be more of the fact that the Mavic attracted alot of first time Drone users to the hobby with its advertising/hype/usability... unfortunately not all people with a grand to spend on a drone Have common sense.
Many people will buy them who probably have no business owning one. Im sure there has been 1st time drone users thinking they will just open the box without reading directions and plan to learn as they go so just start flying without a clue how to recover it if shtf

Its kinda like first time gun owners... some get it, some clearly do not

Last edited:
What's the legal height limit in the US for flying UAVs? Here in Canada it's 300' AGL

Does it vary by state?

I understand the mavic's altitude max is 5,000 meters (16,000+ feet) ... No idea on legal alt limits tho

But im also curious what diff altitude rules are in diff countries

Does it vary by state?

I understand the mavic's altitude max is 5,000 meters (16,000+ feet) ... No idea on legal alt limits tho

But im also curious what diff altitude rules are in diff countries

You really must read here ..

Getting Started

I think it may be more of the fact that the Mavic attracted alot of first time Drone users to the hobby with its advertising/hype/usability... unfortunately not all people with a grand to spend on a drone Have common sense.
Many people will buy them who probably have no business owning one. Im sure there has been 1st time drone users thinking they will just open the box without reading directions and plan to learn as they go so just start flying without a clue how to recover it if shtf

Its kinda like first time gun owners... some get it, some clearly do not

Yeah, there's one of those on another thread right now. It's beyond belief!

Reactions: AllDubyas
The FAA controls ALL airspace in the USA. That is to say, airspace is under federal control, not state control. Drones are allowed to fly as high as 400 feet above ground level in class G airspace(away from airports). This is because aviation has a minimum altitude of 500 feet, except in congested areas(towns, cities) where it is 1,000 feet.

All that having been said, some pilots have waivers to fly lower for pipeline and power line inspection. Drone operators should respect this, and stay away from these areas. And of course, aircraft come down at airports. Please, please do not fly drones near airports. Please.

Reactions: AllDubyas
Jordie -
Where you at in Crooklyn? I am in Bay Ridge. I try to get some sunrise / sunset pix when I am able. My street is fairly quiet at sunrise time. I basically go straight up to about 200 - 300 feet and click away to the East or the West.

This morning I had it up at about 60 - 70 feet and I saw the rear light flash yellow and saw ATTI mode on the controller. It was drifting and seeming not to respond to the stick. I switched to Sport mode and it got the green light back and flashed Sport Mode on the display. No wind to speak of, 5mph maybe?

The issues that I have come across since flying have been:
-2 weeks ago or so, at a small lake in Warwick NY, DJI GO stopped working. Phone display went black and white. Controller was fine. I had line of sight at 300 feet close in the middle of nowhere. Had not happened since. Samsung Galaxy 5.
-Hovering low in a room, Mavic was unresponsive to the stick, was drifting toward me. I got a finger behind the power button, pressed down a little and slid it away and landed it. Took off again, all seemed fine.
-Updated the firmware a few days ago, would not get into Sport Mode. MF mode was green. I toggled it but no use. Mad advised me to uninstall then re-install DJI Go4. I did that and toggled and have access to Sport.
-This morning got the yellow light flash at the back and ATTI mode on the display. It did not seem to respond to the stick. Drifted a little in little/no wind. I switched to SPORT mode like I said and it came back to GPS Mode, green light no problem. One might not have had anything to do wit the other. For fun I went up and down the block in sport mode and saw 52 mph or so each way.
I have been used to unguided quads with some stabilization. My mainstay was a Blade 200QX.
The thing that may freak me a little with this awesome Mavic is it may decide not to follow my input at a critical time. Now I am probably just being paranoid but I don't want to lose it. Especially since I plan on operating off a boat next summer. I'm going to try to incorporate all the preflight checklist stuff I see.

vsk
@realvsk instagram

Reactions: JordieShapiro
Specify your location before making sweeping comments like that

According the registration on the FAA website both commercial and hobbyist use - it's 400 AGL. Just because your a hobbyist doesn't mean you can ignore FAA rules.

Here's the page for hobbyist:

Fly for Fun

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Actually if you are a hobbyist you do not have a 400 foot limit. This is a common misconception.

You see on the FAA page it's a guideline. Not a law or regulation. You can read for yourself if you go look it up.

Here I'll save you the trouble. Here is the actual US code in regards to hobbyist flight. First we have the Small UAS Rule (Part 107), however part 107 doesn't apply to hobbyists. Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). So let's go to the special rule for model aircraft.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

Section 336 states:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. (a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if— (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; (3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization; (4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport))

And that number 2 there is the gray area. The FAA does not define what a "nationwide community based organization" is. The AMA is an example of one, but it is not the only one. Since the FAA has no rule or definition of this, the term can be applied extremely broadly. One could join such an organization that does not require LOS. And in regards to the 400 feet AGL, even the AMA doesn't require that. Your questions answered-The 400 foot limit for model aircraft. | AMA Government Relations Blog
Academy of Model Aeronautics - FAA UAS Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act.

At the end of the day, the wording on the FAA website has done a great job convincing people that these are laws, when they are not.

It is a regulation. Not a law. And believe me, if they think you violated it, they won't use the courts. Now, this means they can't arrest you, but if you're a pilot they can suspend your license. I'm not sure what recourse they have with drone operators. Who wants to find out? More importantly, who wants to wander into airspace potentially occupied by aircraft with precious people on board? Just obey the reg.

It is a regulation. Not a law. And believe me, if they think you violated it, they won't use the courts. Now, this means they can't arrest you, but if you're a pilot they can suspend your license. I'm not sure what recourse they have with drone operators.
It's not a regulation either. It's a guideline, like a suggestion. Nothing more.

Reactions: ColoradoSteve
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act..

By this information you can only go above 400 if you are a AMA member and are abiding by the safety code - it's not a blanket statement for any hobbist you there...since drone pilot aren't required to get AMA membership.

But I went into the registration page again...and found this:
View media item 263
Which states: "To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance"

But just for fun sake, I emailed a drone lawyer and am awaiting his answer. For me, I'm staying under 400 feet. According to FAA statistics the east coast of the USA is the most heavily fined for drone violations and I'd rather not get fined.

OR any other community based organization. Doesn't have to be AMA.

Again there is no law or regulation for the 400 feet. If you find it please post the US code link here.

Again the FAA has done a great job using misleading words to convince people of these laws. But just because it's in their site doesn't make it law. Plus again notice the word guideline. They had to use the word guideline since they couldn't make it an actual regulation.

By this information you can only go above 400 if you are a AMA member and are abiding by the safety code - it's not a blanket statement for any hobbist you there...since drone pilot aren't required to get AMA membership.

But I went into the registration page again...and found this:
View media item 263
Which states: "To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance"

But just for fun sake, I emailed a drone lawyer and am awaiting his answer. For me, I'm staying under 400 feet. According to FAA statistics the east coast of the USA is the most heavily fined for drone violations and I'd rather not get fined.

Reactions: cobra46
Again. The. FAA. Does. Not. Make. Law. They operate with regulations. This works because they have the power to take away your right to fly. They can't throw you in jail. They can't even haul you into court. They can do this because they are the only regulatory body that controls the national airspace. And the regulation is that you fly below 400 feet.

I noticed that you blew off my other point, which is that it is reprehensible to needlessly put people's lives at risk by flying over 400 feet. Just don't do it. It really is that easy. Why are you arguing this?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure