DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

True, and the fact that there is a fan there, and an opening for the air to enter us like "duh", for me. But I understand everyone's speculating.

Let's say your right, by the time your components "fail", you be on the Mavic 6 Pro, stud edition anyway!

Look at the P4, theres almost no fan ventilation... just little vents on the arms

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Those vents on the P4 are for the esc's which are mounted close to the motors on each arm but on the Mavic the FETS (which are dual array) are surface mounted on the motherboard. There are also 24cores of processing going on on the same board.
It needs that airflow and the size of the heatsink which constitutes the entire bottom of the aircraft is proof enough how much heat is generated by the internal components.

Anyone else notice that the video shows the Mavic flying with the clear dome on it?

Is there official DJI documentation stating that the dome should be off during flight?

Seems odd that they would ship the black dome cover (which protects the clear cover) if they never intend the clear cover to be used during flight.

Thanks for posting. I've only flown my Mavic 4 times and am just seeing Jello effect in my video when hovering still. I've tried ensuring the gimbal board thing is secured to the clampy thing (yes, this substitution of jargon is played up to make veteran fliers twitch), and will see if it fixes the Jello in my video when next I fly it.

Here is a YT video showing the jello on my Mavic.

I have confirmed the gimbal is mounted correctly.

It is strange that the jello is not consistent. Sometimes the video is perfect and then boom!

The video below was two minutes into the flight. The first two minutes were perfect.

This is the third flight of the Mavic. I have had jello since the very first flight.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=VCPwtT4-KDw

Did some more testing today. Two perfect flights and no jello. One flight with dome, the other flight with no dome.

It was 70 (F) degrees today.

The other flights the temperature was 34(F) and about 40(F).

I am thinking the gimbal might not like colder temps. Perhaps it gets sticky when it gets cold.

Did some more testing today. Two perfect flights and no jello. One flight with dome, the other flight with no dome.

It was 70 (F) degrees today.

The other flights the temperature was 34(F) and about 40(F).

I am thinking the gimbal might not like colder temps. Perhaps it gets sticky when it gets cold.

Glad you seem to be on the verge of solving it VS. I saw your vid over on rcg, that must have been driving you nuts!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Glad you seem to be on the verge of solving it VS. I saw your vid over on rcg, that must have been driving you nuts!

I hope it is fixed. If it really is a temperature issue and that problem shows up in the 32 - 45 temperature range then that will really suck. I think if that is the case a lot of people will be complaining about it. Including the snowboarders who smuggle them up on the ski lifts.

I was thinking that maybe there is some lubrication that gets thick / gummy in the cold.

Just a guess.

I was thinking that maybe there is some lubrication that gets thick / gummy in the cold.

Just a guess.

No I don't think so... there is rubber bands... basically, maybe they get cold and lose their elasticity?

I really doubt the temperature plays a part. But who knows. Mavic are like women, beautiful, fun, and everyone wants one... until they start seeing past the great design! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I hope it is fixed. If it really is a temperature issue and that problem shows up in the 32 - 45 temperature range then that will really suck. I think if that is the case a lot of people will be complaining about it. Including the snowboarders who smuggle them up on the ski lifts.

I don't know squat about photography but I took this vid today in -12F temps in interior Alaska. My amature eye can't see any thing that looks like jello

Reactions: Up & Adam
I don't know squat about photography but I took this vid today in -12F temps in interior Alaska. My amature eye can't see any thing that looks like jello

Casey how is your mavic handling the cold? Notice an difference in flight time handling etc?

Casey how is your mavic handling the cold? Notice an difference in flight time handling etc?
I think it has been handling it pretty good. This is my first drone so I don't have any history to fall back on. But with all my hovering and messing around I normally fly for about 10 mins and bring it home and still have a lot of battery left

Reactions: JakeS
So, do you disagree with this test then?
Mavic Pro Running Hot? Here's Why
Or because DJI do not explicitly state in their book of words to not fly with it on them it's OK?
Over 100degrees on the heat sink means the IC's are considerably hotter.

DJI explicitly says the cover "protects the gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight." So, it was made to be used in flight.

Mavic - Gimbal Cover | DJI Store

Here is a YouTube of the same thing happening to a guy after his Mavic lands hard..... He explains and draws up how he fixes it towards the end of video....

So, do you disagree with this test then?
Mavic Pro Running Hot? Here's Why
Or because DJI do not explicitly state in their book of words to not fly with it on them it's OK?
Over 100degrees on the heat sink means the IC's are considerably hotter.

Well I disagree. There's a large slit cut into the dome.... and DJI shows JT flying with the Dome on. The manual doesn't say to remove it before flight either.

Take it off, leave it on. Whatever floats your boat

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm wondering if there would be a way to make a rectangular cut on the gimbal cover cap,thus allowing air flow as well as camera clarity without leaving the gimbal unprotected?

I'm wondering if there would be a way to make a rectangular cut on the gimbal cover cap,thus allowing air flow as well as camera clarity without leaving the gimbal unprotected?

Also: you'd still have a rubberized cap to keep dust and debris out when Not flying.

See... it's easy for it to go past the things that are supposed to limit it
2e828a01eae95adeb66c45f6231156b3.jpg
97a4c83d34027786423a75c364ee6298.jpg

This is the tab it can work itself around. In this photo it's supposed to be below it.... but after the top tab went over it easily slips to the other side of it
de1ce7916151b2293d33df89650c750c.jpg

See... it's easy for it to go past the things that are supposed to limit it
2e828a01eae95adeb66c45f6231156b3.jpg
97a4c83d34027786423a75c364ee6298.jpg

This is the tab it can work itself around. In this photo it's supposed to be below it.... but after the top tab went over it easily slips to the other side of it
de1ce7916151b2293d33df89650c750c.jpg

Thanks for your photo, I just got my Mavic yesterday and it was raining and so I decided to fly it inside my home, unfortunately I hit my wall. No damage I had thought but when I flew it this morning outside I was getting Gimble Vibration error, tried to recalibrate and check but still got error. I also got error with nimble cover obstructing the gamble, didn't make sense why it would do this. After seeing your post I checked mine and my nimble was over the metal on one side and also over the tab, I moved it under and it seem to correct my issue!

After you fit the tabs in front of the gimbal above the little ledges, and hook the little thing behind the gimbal between the top of the gimbal and the camera, is it supposed to still jiggle about with every step?
Mine still jellos after that, gimbal recalbration and even factory resets.

DJI said to reset and calibrate using an iOS device instead of Android. Would that even make a difference? (There are no campatible iOS devices owned by anyone I know, is a problem, if so.)

Worse than jello, since I tried to fix my jello effect, gimbal vibration makes it look a little like the camera is seeing double even in photos, not just videos. The jello used to only happen when facing into the wind, but now it's happening any time, any where, as long as the Mavic is still for a moment or two.

Is there some workaround I've missed? Really not looking forward to having to RMA a drone I just got.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku