DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic ideal for Airborne Incident Response Team - anyone else doing this?

PavicMilot

Reactions
Hey Mavic Pilots - not sure if you folks drive to/from work with your drone in your car (like I do sometimes), well I am wondering if anyone's heard of the Airborne Incident Response Team. The folks at AIRT apparently want a lot of us to register with them so that we can use our Mavics for good stuff like Search and Rescue, or whatever they need in the air to assist with any incident. I love my Mavic, it fits neatly inside my console between the two front seats, so yeah why not. I've registered because if called when on the road (or, even when at my office), I could get in the air quickly and maybe help out.

Anyone else have any such experience with this or with FEMA? I'm thinking we are all on the cutting edge of quick eyes in the air here...would be great to get better press, eh?

Reactions: woodsglen
My Mavic is wherever I'm at.... I take it everywhere. I just "joined", we'll see how it goes. I did use my Mavic to scout around over an embankment after noticing tire tracks where a vehicle left the road... I called 911 to let them know what I was going to do and that I would call back if I found anything, I flew down the hill and after looking around, found that there was nothing down there. After talking to a local tow truck driver I know, the tow company he worked for did indeed retrieve a vehicle 2 days berfore from where I saw the tire marks. I also keep a scanner in my truck and thats how I got the video of another vehicle accident where the driver ALMOST went over a much larger drop off.... all occupants were safe. link here Volvo retrieval

I joined also cool and yes we are on the edge of something very big in the next few yrs[emoji106]

Heads Up... we need to be certified in ICS and NIMS!
anyone who is a professional or volunteer firefighter, you're probably good to go. the rest of us need to start studying!

Along with others who filled out their contact info, I heard back and this is the deal:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------' QUOTE:

Thank you for your application as a remote pilot for the Airborne Response Incident Response (AIRT™), our new search and rescue (SAR) organization designed to connect unmanned aircraft systems (i.e. “drone”) pilots with first responders and disaster response organizations during times of need. We have been astounded by the reception that AIRT has received. As a matter of principle, I wanted to ensure that the first email message that you received regarding AIRT was sent direct from me, and not some auto-generated response message (yes, we’ll probably use those later).

The vision of AIRT is to create the World’s Largest Air Force™. We seek to develop AIRT remote SAR operators around the globe and connect them with the right agencies, and the right people, where they can truly make a difference — especially in times of dire need. This is a program that is being built from the ground up. It is about education, commitment, purpose and community. We also want to have some fun along the way!

The first step toward becoming certified as an AIRT remote SAR operator is for you to register for your FEMA Student Identification (SID) number. This number is a unique identifier generated and assigned to anyone who needs or is required to take training provided by a FEMA organization. There is no cost to obtain your FEMA SID. For more information, and to obtain your FEMA SID, please visit: FEMA Student Identification (SID) System

After you have obtained your FEMA SID, the next four steps will be for you to compete the four basic introductory courses required by every first responder in the U.S. These course are available online, at no cost to you, and will teach you the basic fundamentals of the Incident Command Systems (ICS) and the National Incident Management Systems (NIMS). In short, ICS and NIMS are the basic command structure and common terminology used by emergency responders for all types of incidents. Having this knowledge will give you the ability to integrate into a SAR operations and better understand what is happening, and why.

The four introductory courses are:

1) IS-100.B: Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100.
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-100.B: Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100

2) IS-700.A: National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) An Introduction
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-700.A: National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction

3) IS-200.B: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-200.B: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents

4) IS-800.B: National Response Framework, An Introduction
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-800.B: National Response Framework, An Introduction

Remember, each of these courses are available to you online, at no-charge, and allow you to complete the prescribed coursework at your own pace. Most people can complete a course in an hour or less. Upon satisfactory completion of each course, FEMA will email you a course completion certificate. Make sure that you save each of these certificates in a safe place. They are your proof of course completion. When you have completed all four courses, please send me an email containing the .PDF attachments of your completion certificates. You will then proceed to phase two of AIRT training which will be lead by Tom “Oaty” Oatmeyer, our Chief Pilot. Oaty is a veteran aviator with more than 26 years of experience as a helicopter rescue pilot for the U.S. Air Force and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.

We are seeking to work only with those drone operators who are committed to making the Airborne Incident Response Team the absolute best that it can be. We’re happy to have you aboard as part of the AIRT program! We are all at the cutting edge of an entire new evolution that intersects the worlds of aviation and technology. I am truly excited about the potential that AIRT can provide toward making a real difference in the world and helping to save lives. There is much work to be done. We can all make this happen together if we work as a team with a common a goal and purpose.

Also, can you tell me if you are currently certified as an FAA Part 107 or Section 333 remote pilot? This is not a requirement of the AIRT program, but we want to note those members who do hold FAA certifications.

Please feel free to contact me anytime that you have questions, comments, or concerns about the AIRT program. Thank you once again for choosing to become a part of AIRT!

Right, I know it seems like a lot of online course work, but I'm thinking it's probably worth it...the courses are pretty easy to get through. I'm learning a lot, and have a much bigger appreciation for what they (FEMA) just went through in Texas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31