DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Issues after .800 update

smithlaw

Reactions
So I got my Mavic back from DJI about 1.5 weeks ago. It came back with .500 on it. I was having issues with focusing in the videos so I decided to update the firmware to the new .800 2 days ago. Since I have, I keep having strange gimble/other issues. While it is flying and I am videoing, it will all of a sudden say it has image transmission issue, connection lost, and then it regains it within a few seconds. The problem is, every time this happens, it stops recording, the gimble does some weird mid-air calibration type thing, the horizon is shifted, the app says it is at say 15ft when in reality it may be at 45ft high. This isn't corrected until after I land and restart everything. It does this every few minutes. Anyone have this issue or have a clue what is going on?

Yes. You're on an Android smart device.

There's no solution other than rolling back to an earlier version of the GO4 app, and firmware on the RC and Mavic.

I'm still on .400 on the RC/MP, which seems to work decently with most versions of the GO4 app. Unfortunately, you can't get back to .400 easily (well, it's not THAT hard, but you've got to know a little about virtual machines, etc.).

.500 is still available through DJI Assistant 2. If that was working better downgrade back to it, and then let's see what's going on with focus. Maybe the community can help you solve that problem.

I am actually using an iPhone 6, not Android. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Also - does anyone have instructions on how to do the .400 downgrade using a mac computer? I think the virtual machine stuff is all pc. Thanks.

Reactions: willhay555
Yes, you are not alone. My Mavic did exactly the same thing after updating to .800. The video cuts out, recording stops, switches to photo mode, gimbal jerks around, levels off and then all is well. Did it every flight when I was running .800. Can be 10 mins into the flight or as soon as I took off. Switched back to .700 and no issues since.

Not sure but I think update 800 just destroyed a battery. The firmware update failed and the Mavic wouldn't turn off. The LEDs all went solid red and the battery green lights cycle briefly off every 12 seconds. Just the two center lights. The IPad message said something like "not a DJI battery. I decided I needed to pull it from the drone. I put in another battery and re-did the update. It flys OK. Lights are still on in the battery though. Even tried to charge it see if it could reset,no go. Wondering if it will burn?

I have shipped the battery to DJI for replacement. The two center green lights are still on (w/an off blink at 13 seconds). Had to ship it that way which makes me uncomfortable.

I got some interesting advice last week from one of the forum members that I was afraid to try ( probably just my inexperience) ...He suggested putting the battery back in the Mavic and trying to access it through the USB port ( since the wireless com is non functional). Then do an upgrade that way. I opted to go the warranty path since it is pretty much a new battery.

best of luck

DJI support emailed me after me sending a query re the battery and they advised to
1/ install Assistant on computer
2/ Put the offending battery in the Mavic
3/ connect the Mavic directly to the computer using the USB socket on the side and the cord supplied with the Mavic.
It worked!! took about 5 minutes and the Mavic reset, battery lights blinked on an off a few times and also the leds on the Mavic and then it made the turn on noise and was good to go so the battery is now functioning correctly. DJI advised this would work even if the battery was below 50% SOC.

You've gone very quiet hahahahaha!
Nothing to add since he's on iOS.

Other than to question his sanity, but I thought I'd stay civil (and, I plan to go over to the dark side this month myself and get a mini 4; I'm not looking forward to the necessary lobotomy) :D

For what its worth.... the problems I have occurred while updating firmware with an iPad mini. It connects through the house wifi and Comcast to the internet. I'm pretty sure none of that matters because I am convinced there is an intentional function of the DJI software to reject non-oem equipment, and it just made a mistake. Don't you remember 20 years ago when Sony cameras rejected generic batteries?

My opinion is that this .800 update has an issue (open the pod bay door HAL)

Yes, you are not alone. My Mavic did exactly the same thing after updating to .800. The video cuts out, recording stops, switches to photo mode, gimbal jerks around, levels off and then all is well. Did it every flight when I was running .800. Can be 10 mins into the flight or as soon as I took off. Switched back to .700 and no issues since.

Hey has anyone found a fix for this? I'm having exactly this issue. It's happened about 5 times now. Lost what I was expecting to be a great recording because I didn't realize it had stopped recording. When it first happened I thought I was going to lose my bird but it righted itself. This is a big problem!

DJI replaced the battery that locked up during the firmware update. It took a little over a month to get it all done. Since then I have accepted the .900 update, so the new battery needed updated too. That took only seconds. I haven't tried to fly yet, maybe next week.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev