DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic lost while trying circling around a building

There is still hope. If by chance as determined by a previous poster, your drone hit the cathedral and dropped onto a ledge or rooftop. I would call the maintenance department or whoever else would be in charge of maintaining (usually daily maintenance) the cathedral and explain your situation. Ask them politely to take a look around. You need to build some sort of connection with them. Remember, they're just guys like you and I. They may want to help, especially if you offer a reward or send them a bratwurst or schnitzel lunch. Is the phone call worth a $1000+?, hell yeah! Good Luck!

There is still hope. If by chance as determined by a previous poster, your drone hit the cathedral and dropped onto a ledge or rooftop. I would call the maintenance department or whoever else would be in charge of maintaining (usually daily maintenance) the cathedral and explain your situation. Ask them politely to take a look around. You need to build some sort of connection with them. Remember, they're just guys like you and I. They may want to help, especially if you offer a reward or send them a bratwurst or schnitzel lunch. Is the phone call worth a $1000+?, **** yeah! Good Luck!

Or possibly being prosecuted for various violations of Getman laws/damage to the building. I'd personally take it as a very expensive lesson learned.

Hope DJI adds something like this with an independent power source

Yet another battery? Are you thinking rechargeable? Disposable? Sealed with the locator?

seems like a no brainer for a device prone to loss like this

It does seem like a no-brainer, but making it real seems complex. Coming up with a single solution that works for the greatest number of owners is tricky because these things are used worldwide in all sorts of environments, because they move through 3 dimensions, and because many of the ways they become lost make it harder to determine their location (loss of GPS, loss of controller connection, electromagnetic interference, submersion, physical destruction, etc.)

The hardest part is getting the location information to the owner. It's not as if these little aircraft can send data to satellites (or that doing so would do any good). My car has a gigantic $1,000 Lithium Ion battery that I doubt will ever run down in the entire time I own it and built-in 4G, yet I often can't determine its location on my phone even when I'm standing next to it because there are so many cellular dead spots around here. Even then, it would only be able to tell me 2D coordinates with no altitude information (though I doubt my car is going to get stuck on a cathedral spire). When the car doesn't have a cellular signal, it's reported as being in the last spot where it connected. Right now it says it's in the town where I work, not out in the barn.

What type of locator is best: Cellular? Radio? Bluetooth? I suspect each is best in certain situations.

I'd love an easy, built-in solution as well, but I'm really not sure what that should look like.

Troll not helping. And now policing other continents!
Hey Strafe, asking pertinent questions about basic safety concerns and general knowledge that any drone pilot should know is not trolling mate it's people like you and perhaps our lost drone friend here that is making it so hard the world over to fly your drone without a multitude of laws and restrictions! You guys need to pull your bloody heads in grow up and take responsibility for a change

Reactions: Grey Wolf
Nuance escapes many. This is not a geographical problem, do news reports only cover continental events? (well, okay, in the US, maybe). A fool killing a tourist at the Cologne Cathedral would have done more to hurt you and I, and all of us, more than can be told.
Well said Bluce!

Hey Strafe, asking pertinent questions about basic safety concerns and general knowledge that any drone pilot should know is not trolling mate it's people like you and perhaps our lost drone friend here that is making it so hard the world over to fly your drone without a multitude of laws and restrictions! You guys need to pull your bloody heads in grow up and take responsibility for a change
Hey Rogat, looks like you're late to the party. My post was to a guy who does absolutely nothing but police everyone on this forum and chastise any flight he doesn't like, legal or not. 90+ percent of his posts. You sound like him. You assume I fly like the OP? Make accusations, back them up. I, and most members on here do not want "drone police" ruining our experiences and exchanges, and there are community guidelines that members should follow. He's been banned for it before already. I actually spend a lot of time helping others understand the law and FAA guidelines. I just don't police anyone.

Reactions: iajetpilot
Hey Rogat, looks like you're late to the party. My post was to a guy who does absolutely nothing but police everyone on this forum and chastise any flight he doesn't like, legal or not. 90+ percent of his posts. You sound like him. You assume I fly like the OP? Make accusations, back them up. I, and most members on here do not want "drone police" ruining our experiences and exchanges, and there are community guidelines that members should follow. He's been banned for it before already. I actually spend a lot of time helping others understand the law and FAA guidelines. I just don't police anyone.
Hey Strafe1, some of what you say may be accurate and let me assure you, mate, I never ever bring up what someone is or maybe doing or maybe construed as doing the wrong thing, unless it is something so blatantly obvious like oh let me think of a good example ............hmmm ...........got it ! Flying your drone around a cathedral and getting into LOS of the machine in the middle of a major European City !! hows that for an example? so when I saw your post without knowing the background relationship you have with Grey Wolf my immediate thought is gee if I was a newbie flyer on here and read this I might just think hey obviously it's okay to not read rule books or check what restrictions are in place for certain areas Strafe1 a well-known member is telling that guy off for asking safety questions and that's is the way I saw your comment pure and simple.

I also hate bloody drone Police they bore me to tears my philosophy is just to enjoy the video or the photo for what it is and move on to the next post and if I knew Grey Wolf's history I may have just moved on without saying boo, I think what I am really trying to say is if he is being a Troll or a drone policeman ( horror gasp ! ) jump all over him by all means but if he has a valid point like he did in this thread let it slide and move on yourself. otherwise, you bring yourself down to his level as well and you could get say people like me misunderstanding where you're coming from and thinking you are also an irresponsible drone pilot like the guy you are sticking up for, so cheers thanks for the heads up on Grey goose or whatever and lets continue to enjoy our hobby D

Hey Strafe1, some of what you say may be accurate and let me assure you, mate, I never ever bring up what someone is or maybe doing or maybe construed as doing the wrong thing, unless it is something so blatantly obvious like oh let me think of a good example ............hmmm ...........got it ! Flying your drone around a cathedral and getting into LOS of the machine in the middle of a major European City !! hows that for an example? so when I saw your post without knowing the background relationship you have with Grey Wolf my immediate thought is gee if I was a newbie flyer on here and read this I might just think hey obviously it's okay to not read rule books or check what restrictions are in place for certain areas Strafe1 a well-known member is telling that guy off for asking safety questions and that's is the way I saw your comment pure and simple.

I also hate bloody drone Police they bore me to tears my philosophy is just to enjoy the video or the photo for what it is and move on to the next post and if I knew Grey Wolf's history I may have just moved on without saying boo, I think what I am really trying to say is if he is being a Troll or a drone policeman ( horror gasp ! ) jump all over him by all means but if he has a valid point like he did in this thread let it slide and move on yourself. otherwise, you bring yourself down to his level as well and you could get say people like me misunderstanding where you're coming from and thinking you are also an irresponsible drone pilot like the guy you are sticking up for, so cheers thanks for the heads up on Grey goose or whatever and lets continue to enjoy our hobby D
Time to tone it down you two. Neither of you, Strafe1 and Rogat19 is helping the cause!
And I am not the drone police ! However, I am an advocate of responsible flying!

Hmm. Ok. So with all respect and no policing, having read the entire thread and please mind I am no saint in this hobby:

- I feel sorry for the OP having lost the drone and being in this sticky situation. Must feel awful learning this was how NOT to operate a drone.
Some of us pay a lower price, and some end up injuring themselves or, even worse, others.
Yet as mentioned before the authorities will react regardless of people flying reckless or strictly obey the rules. Paranoia and fear drives people.
DJI makes a mass product that can be purchased by literally ANYONE with some cash who thinks it's cool, can fly miles out, is advertised as " fool proof" , and it's brain getting so messed up after every firmware update that even the aces have no clue what to expect next. But...the aces know how to make it as " fail-safe" as they can and take less risks.
Facts: Flying behind a large structure in low-light conditions in a densely congested area is a risk. Doing this in a "rush" without double checking every setting for a safe flight is foolish and the OP knows/feels this (dammit, they just had that part of the Cathedral fixed, now leaking again :)) The hope that many others will learn from it is remote since the majority end up on forums like these when it has gone bad. So what can WE learn?

- OP screwed things up. He knows, feels awful, it's done!
- Flying these beyond visual is always a risk. I am willing to bite the bullet when something happens and it will someday. Question remains: what did I do to limit the damage pro-actively.
- OA does not function well in low daylight/ most artificial light conditions (like this one). It is known.
- Signal penetration through structures is almost impossible. It is known. When you need to orbit a beautiful object at low altitude (I tried this, it works well) use active track or fly a mission.
- there are so many settings, you're likely to forget some important ones. Make a checklist and stick to it depending on the type of flight. It's a huge difference between flying in a forest or above open water. Also make an emergency checklist.
- Get a small gps tracker (like the ones for pets, luggage etc) and stick it on the mavic. You WILL be able to find it again!
- use common sense and do not get people paranoid. Educate and show what's possible, that you re totally in control and have no intention "spying" . This attitude got me involved in documenting a new nature project recently.

Finally: Contacting local authorities to check the rooftops and bribe them with bratwurst? I don't know if this is a good idea, we're talking Germany here.. Could try carefully unless you have a "tan". It freaks people out, I have experience..:(

Last edited:
He has been for a while. He is sometimes right with his info, like in this post. But all he does is post rules and regulations and admonishments. And his facts (especially regarding the US) are usually dead wrong.
Give it a rest Strafe1!

The always tempting but often deadly surround hover of hell manoeuvre.

Yeah its so tempting to go and circule around a bulding in a single shot. If you are on a higher spot than the bulding go ahead else yes you will lose LOS and face disconnection :/ remember to always set a safe RTh altitude to avoid any buildings in case disco happens

Seen on several Mavic blogs ...
For future flying this could help
focus and strengthen your controller signal;
particularly when flying in 'noisy' areas.
of course, no guarantees !!!

Amazon.com: Coper New Antenna Amplifier Wifi Signal Booster Remote Controls Range Extender For DJI Mavic Pro Remote Gold: Camera & Photo

Sorry but this is junq. Like many other range " solutions" an easy way to rip off nice people to make easy money. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH MAVIC!! (sorry for shouting, I just realized it's Monday)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan